AVG Life Spam before Rebuild?

Just curious if anyone has an "opinion" as to the avg life span of a "well cared for" NSX Looking at a few and have seen some very nice ones with 100K or so miles on them. I have had mercedes in the past where that number is NOT a bother at all if the car is cared for well...my 450SL ('75) had 89K on it when I bought it 147 when I gave it to my Neice and 166 now and still a monster strong car...sooooooooo my question is... how many is too many...and how many guys do you know with NSX's get the motor rebuilt...cost...miles to expect that or the top end anyway etc

THX also what else to look for in a 100K car

There's one local PBC owner whose NSX has more miles on it than a crack-whore on MLK Blvd. I'll let him chime in on how reliable these cars are.

My 1994 NSX has 73,xxx miles on it and all I've done is regular routine maintenance. It's even on the original clutch and I figure I still have about 20k-30k left on it. The only reoccurring issue with these cars are that they eat through tires faster than a starving junkyard dog. But hey, it's a sports car so who cares.

You have to always remember that these cars are a Honda. If they weren't reliable Honda wouldn't be the sole engine supplier for the IRL. :biggrin:

If by "rebuilt" you mean involving actual machine work to the block/head etc. You'll be looking at some pretty stratospheric mileage numbers (barring track use). Mine just ticked over 218,000 miles and runs like a swiss watch.

My car even had a decent bit of deferred maintenance when I got it. Apart from replacing some seals/sensors/gaskets/and one or two ancillary items, I haven't had to do much. Right now it is getting it's 3rd timing belt job mainly as a precaution since I don't have a paper trail for the second one, and I'm replacing all the coolant bypass hoses. Once that's done it will be more-or-less a daily car for me, albiet a pretty well looked-after one.

YMMV, but I would not be scared of any mileage NSX that also had a fully documented maintenance history.

Last edited:
DOC...ya just sold me there!! I have worked down here for 21+ yrs as a cop so I know alot of MLK crack-whores and their propensity for high mileage (in a very short time mind you...probably tougher then track mileage at sebring)!!! lol nuff said right there!!!

Sweet info appreciate it u guys I am sold :biggrin:

Here I thought you had an AVG virus/adware program issue related to spam:redface:

i think Hugh is approaching 300K on his nsx and he recently had an oil analysis done and the engine appears to be mint.

Here I thought you had an AVG virus/adware program issue related to spam:redface:

...And I thought this was a survey about how long it takes for Spam to go bad once the can has been opened. Oh well. Guess I'll have to keep searching for that one. :rolleyes:

...And I thought this was a survey about how long it takes for Spam to go bad once the can has been opened. Oh well. Guess I'll have to keep searching for that one. :rolleyes:

Believe it or not I actually know this answer. If you open up a can of spam, re seal it with seran wrap, and put in the ridge it will start to get moldy in about 2-3 weeks. This happens to me all the time.

Believe it or not I actually know this answer. If you open up a can of spam, re seal it with seran wrap, and put in the ridge it will start to get moldy in about 2-3 weeks. This happens to me all the time.

LOL!

Errr... sorry for pirating some humor on this thread.

And this is on a car that is an "Exotic" ... doesn't get better than this, is like, we are Tito Ortiz, and Jenna Jameson is our NSX, can have high mileages, still looks great, will do pretty much anything ........and still will bring her girls to play around if you ask! hahah

Oscar

WOW...incredible

Seems they know what they are doing over there in Japan lol

Some how I can't see the new Camero being a 200K+ mile car without several rebuilds anyway lol

The American car makers want us to buy a new car every five years by making crappy cars, so the CEO's can have private jets and bigger houses and also their workers can retire early with good benefits.:biggrin:

There is also a guy up in Canada that has well over 300K(310K? at the time of the article) miles on his with just routine maintenance?

Ooooooook

1. YELLOW HAZE....you have a great Avitar!!!

2. I just learned WAY too much about Spam and it's shelf life!!

Other then that lol you guys are the best...lots of incredible info here on this site...

I'm a new owner too and have heard all this about the engines and it's confidence inspiring. This would make higher mileage cars more desirable and allow you to get a later model with the 3.2 and 6 speed for in the 30s perhaps. The key is maintenance history. Without it; keep looking. They are out there and there are a lot of sites to find them too. AOL.com is one, along with Prime and Autotrader. Prime is a great resource.

There is only one drawback to higher milers - paint and interior. They can still be in good shape but the interior - drivers seat in particular - can get worn out. But you can find a good upholsterer and go from there. These seats are very comfortable so I'd stay stock.

I wasn't sure where to look for such info, so I thought I'd ask here and maybe someone could point me in the right direction:

as far maintenance, after how many miles (recommended) should one change the TB/WP and other things (seals, gaskets, plugs) anything that requires maintenance. if it helps, the car will not be tracked ever.

I already know it eats up tires, so that'll be easy to spot. I might attempt to autocross once or twice to help me learn about it, but that's about it.

TIA.

I remember hearing a story a couple years ago about how Honda gave a guy a free brand new car when he took his Honda over the million mile mark...if that's any indication.

And it's my personal opinion that Honda in the 90's was the best car maker in the world for reliability...not as sure about today's Hondas, but it's still one of the best car makers around.

In answer to the question on maintenance schedule for TB/WP/hoses -the TB is the kicker - it requires replacement for first Gen cars - the 3.0/5 speed at 90k or 6 or 7 years - the later 3.2s are 105k and 7 years. The water pump is located in the same area as the TB and since it's a pain to get to it all the WP is replaced at the same time. I would think it would be more mileage driven than the TB. The hoses are about the same time/mileage duration - most of the NSXs driven/owned are getting the years before the miles but it's still very important. The TB is a bad thing to break - expensive engine issues are an immediate result. Plugs are long time duration - 60k usually. Valve adjustments every 30k or so. That's about it. Clutches vary depending on who and how they're used - and very expensive - 2500 for first gens and 4k for second gens. Usually when you get to needing that you do a master and slave cylinder as well as flywheel. No one recommends resurfacing of either first gen or second gen flywheels.

Back