availability of midnight pearl cars?

I didn't used to think I'd be interested in a midnight pearl NSX, but that changed after I saw pics of one.

I'm fairly new to observing the NSX market; how often do midnight pearl cars come up for sale, and do they tend to command a premium price due to the rarity of the color? One appeared on ebay recently (item #1876643805) but was sold before the auction closed. A dealer in my state (California) has one listed on Autotrader.com, but at a high price ($49,999 for a 1995 with 53K miles).

All info/comments/opinions appreciated.

Purple cars do come up for sale from time to time, but I'm sure you realize that their numbers are fairly small.

IMO they don't demand a premium on market value because they are in greater demand (relative to supply) than any other color. However, as with any low-volume feature (color, transmission, miles, mods, price, etc), the market - meaning buyers and sellers - is much smaller. That means, if you're looking to buy and you must have purple, they will be tougher to find and any you find may not meet your needs for miles, price, etc, meaning your only choices might be ones that are priced above typical market prices for other colors. And, if you're looking to sell a purple car, there are fewer potential buyers, so if you need to sell it quickly, you may end up selling it for less than typical market price for other colors.

When considering a car at a dealer, don't forget that dealers sometimes list asking prices that are WELL above what they expect to get for the car. If you're seriously interested except for price, don't be afraid to make them what you consider a fair offer. The worst that can happen is they say no.

As an owner of a Midnight Pearl NSX, I have to say that the opinions on the price of the Midnight Pear NSXs have ranged.

I have seen some argued that it is an "undesirable" color so that it should be selling at lower price, and others argued that due to its rarity, it should have some premiums.

However, the particular one that you mentioned in CA seems to be a bit overpriced at $50k.

Personally, I truly love the color. I don't think that pictures do any justice.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Tiger740 (edited 17 January 2003).]

i belive the price would depend on the sellers position on why he is selling the car...If the seller is not in a rush to sell the car im sure he will price it accordingly and on the other hand if he is tryin to sell the car fast then he will price it so also.Now you also have the buyer ... someone who is specifically looking for this color im sure would be willing to pay more and it would be worth it in his opinion but for someone looking for a nsx with no specific color in mind which i find highly un likey well for that person i guess it would be high.

Back