Automatic thoughts... and the snap ring issue

I'm looking to buy a '91 - '94 NSX (and have posted a message in the 'wanted' forum). I don't care if it is manual shift or auto, and am leaning toward an automatic transmission because my wife could then drive it (guys, don't freak out too much ... bottom line, I'm not planning on tracking it and we usually just cruise around, so an automatic should be more than adequate for 98% of the time; I'll only wish I had more power for 2% of my driving time in the NSX - I can live with that).

Question #1: is the snap-ring range an issue for both auto & manual transmsissons, or is the 'range' of potentially defective transmissions only found on manual shift cars?

Question #2: is there any after-market shifter for the automatic. I don't like the look of the stock 'T' shifter with the big side button and was hoping someone designed a better looking alternative.

Question #3: For anyone who has added after-market header &/or exhaust to an automatic, could you feel a performance difference, and did you experience any transmission problems later? I didn't think a relatively small power boost from these mods would cause big transmission problems, but am looking for feedback from those who have done this. (BTW - did you dyno-test to check the peak horsepower & torque after making the mods?)

I'd appreaicte any help or link(s) to past NSXprime thread(s) that detail these issues. Thanx!

Question #1: is the snap-ring range an issue for both auto & manual transmsissons, or is the 'range' of potentially defective transmissions only found on manual shift cars?

ONLY SOME 91-92 MODELS WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS.

Question #2: is there any after-market shifter for the automatic. I don't like the look of the stock 'T' shifter with the big side button and was hoping someone designed a better looking alternative.

NOT THAT I KNOW OF. THERE WERE NOT A LOT OF AUTOMATICS MADE COMPAIRED TO THE MANUALS. PROBABLY NOT ENOUGH DEMAND FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

Question #3: For anyone who has added after-market header &/or exhaust to an automatic, could you feel a performance difference, and did you experience any transmission problems later? I didn't think a relatively small power boost from these mods would cause big transmission problems, but am looking for feedback from those who have done this. (BTW - did you dyno-test to check the peak horsepower & torque after making the mods?)

ANY CHANGE OF EXHAUST MANIFOLDS WILL BE BOUND TO MAKE A PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE. THE NSX IS A BEAUTIFUL CAR, BUT WHEN THEY WERE DESIGNING IT I THINK THAT THEY LET THE JANITOR DESIGN THE EARLY (91-96) EXHAUST MANIFOLDS. I AM GOING TO REPLACE MY ORIGINALS (91 5 SPEED) WITH A FULL 98 EXHAUST SYSTEM. SOME AFTER MARKET SYSTEMS ARE REALLY NICE, BUT A LITTLE SPENDY. EITHER WAY, NEWER OEM OR AFTERMARKET THERE WILL BE A NOTED PERFORMANCE INCREASE. I WOULD NOT THINK THAT UNLESS YOU ARE CONSTANTLY RUNNING THE CAR HARD, (IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE YOU ARE THAT KIND OF DRIVER) YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM.

BRAD

cybernsx said:
I'm looking to buy a '91 - '94 NSX (and have posted a message in the 'wanted' forum). I don't care if it is manual shift or auto, and am leaning toward an automatic transmission because my wife could then drive it (guys, don't freak out too much ... bottom line, I'm not planning on tracking it and we usually just cruise around, so an automatic should be more than adequate for 98% of the time; I'll only wish I had more power for 2% of my driving time in the NSX - I can live with that).

I'd appreaicte any help or link(s) to past NSXprime thread(s) that detail these issues. Thanx!
I have a 92 automatic with an after market shifter. It just says type R on top and is the push down to shift type. I upgraded everything on the car from intake to exhaust and I run the transmission hard 80% of the time. When I first bought it, it was completley stock. I was impressed with the speed and tourque. But I didn't like the way the automatic never made it to redline. After the complet comptech exhaust and complete carbon intake I noticed a big change for the better in all aspects from sound to speed. What I like about the automatic is the fact that when I want to cruise or eat, I can with one hand free. And when I want to lay on the peddle I manualy throw the shifter in first and bring it to red line then throw it in second. That split second shift from first to second is quick and exciting. You can feel the car front lifting up. I have only one regret for the automatic. Somehow we should be able to install an aftermarket temp gauge. Sometimes I worry that Im being to rough. But after driving this way for a year with no transmission lag or problems I see no reason why I can't have the best of both worlds.

Having put the $600 e-bay headers on this week on my 96 automatic, I can tell you they make a NOTICEABLE difference. As I still have the stock muffler, the sound is smoother, but that's it. It now breaks the tires loose on the 2-3 shift, which it DIDN'T do before. New muffler is another 10-12 hp, so I look forward to it. The downside of the auto is it HAS A LOWER HORSEPOWER ENGINE. If it weren't for the fact I only have 1 arm now, I'd have gotten the stick, just for the more power. Also, there is a HUGE ratio difference from 1st to 2nd in the auto.

DOnt let the snap ring risk force you into an automatic, unless your handicapped. It really takes away from the driving experience but its your money, spend it how you'd like. NSX's should have been made in 5 or 6 speeds only, IMO. If you want to get blown away by a teenager in a V6 Mustang...it may be a good choice.:biggrin:

Most snap ring trans have been already updated and its not alot of money to fix it anyways. I unfortunatly know this topic all too well.:frown:

The Kid said:
DOnt let the snap ring risk force you into an automatic, unless your handicapped. It really takes away from the driving experience but its your money, spend it how you'd like. NSX's should have been made in 5 or 6 speeds only, IMO. If you want to get blown away by a teenager in a V6 Mustang...it may be a good choice.:biggrin:

Most snap ring trans have been already updated and its not alot of money to fix it anyways. I unfortunatly know this topic all too well.:frown:

Are you implying that only handicap people should be driving automatics? FYI my brother inlaw has a 02 v6 mustang and it wouldn't keep up with my autamatic nsx on the track. If you have the mentality to race people on the street than your probably not mentally ready for any nsx. Street racing sucks. Take it to the track.

The Kid is only kidding, yellow-scorpion.

cybernsx would be happier with a 5-speed and you should teach your wife how to drive a manual.

Last edited:
My wife doesn't drive the nsx. She drives the porsche boxter with tiptronic. I drive the bmw z3 with tipronic. Neither of them shifts as quick as the nsx. I puchased the nsx because it was a great price, and I have always wanted one. True, that a manual has that connection feeling but I feel that I get that through shifting manually via the automatics. I wouldn't trade my automatic but I would by another in manual if the price was right.
If I had said "buy a manual if you want to feel like a retard" but Im only joking, does it make it ok? Bottom line, automatic or manual its still an nsx, just be happy we have one.

The Kid said:

Uh yeah.... I AM "handicapped" as you say, but the auto will STILL beat a V6 mustang..... I mean, it is still a high 13-low 14 sec 1/4 car, if that's your thing.

ediddynsx said:
Anyone tried running the CTSC on auto?
I drove down to comptech in eldorado hills and spoke to them about putting a CTSC on my auto. They said they had only done one and it was the whipple type. Also that they had to install/upgrade another part in the engine (it was last oct I spoke with them so I don't remember the exact items). But they did say if your comming close to a timming belt change do that first then install the SC. Also the one install they did on the automatic has never come back with problems.

i got a 92 auto with K&N intake and B&B exhaust. The only problem i got is its too loud, louder than i expected. But theres a noticeable difference in performance after installed the exhaust. I can hit the redline easily now, and i got more torque.:biggrin:

Back