Auto or Stick?

I almost bought a 1997 NSX Auto, but I though about the hp difference between AUTO and STICK, does it make that much difference? In Northern Cal, we have bad..commute traffic, getting close to So. Cal, which factors in the consideration of buying such a beauty.

Stick all the way man....especially in a sports car. Unfortunately the NSX does not have a true F-1 tranny like the F-cars...at least not yet.

But if auto is the way to go for you then enjoy the car regardless. But stick is the way to go in my opinion. No way I would ever buy an auto unless stated above.

I can only think of one reason NOT to get the automatic. That it has less horsepower because it is an automatic (horsepower is good). (Some might say that another reason is that the automatic "is not cool", but I don't think of that as a reason, it is just an opinion.) There are no other reasons I can think of which aren't directly related to reason number one. There ARE offsetting reasons TO get an automatic. One is that a lot of clutching and shifting while creeping through traffic regularly is hard on the clutch (which is a wear item) and will cause premature failure. A second reason is that all that shifting while in heavy traffic is just plain annoying...

Okay, traffic is finally moving, ease up on the clutch, accelerate, clutch and shift, we are moving now, and...brake lights! Back on the clutch and downshift, okay, here we go again, clutch and shift accelerate and clutch and shift and....brake lights again! Repeat 500 times until you finally break out of traffic..

A third reason is that frequently the women in your life can't drive a stick, so the automatic can be a good choice in this instance. A seldom-cited fourth reason in favor of the automatic is that when driving at triple-digit speeds, having the automatic allows the driver to focus on the road and driving the car without the distraction of managing the gearbox at high speed. Most (not all) NSX owners lack track experience, or even high-speed driving experience (this is less of a problem in parts of Europe), so for those few forays into triple-digit territory, being able to stay focused on the road and driving the car is a good thing. (A few drivers have the necessary driving skills to make this less of an issue.)

The automatic is a great car, great in traffic, great for high-speed driving, is up to the task as designed, and is just an all-around pleasure to drive, with the added benefit that the wife, girlfriend, or daughter can drive it. Plus, on the few occasions when I am driving at triple digits I prefer having my focus on driving the car, not managing the gearbox. There is nothing wrong with the manual, but neither is there anything inherently wrong with the automatic either. It isn't quite as performance oriented as the manual; it is more of a "gentleman's NSX". It was detuned by honda to take the pressure off the automatic transmission.

The choice of manual vs. automatic is maybe more about you than about the car. What is your lifestyle? Are you a single guy with street-racing and maybe track ambitions? The manual is definitely the right choice. Are you young and single with friends who are into the import scene? If so you probably would be happier with the manual. Are you thirty-something and married with a job and mortgage and maybe young children? The automatic could be right for you. Are you over forty and prefer a little luxury to go with your performance? Then the automatic would definitely be a good choice. You should decide based on how you intend to use the car and what your priorities are. How are you actually going to drive the car? Maybe you want a track car (nothing wrong with that) and intend to do a lot of performance mods - if so definitely get the stick. Maybe it will be a garage queen (nothing wrong with that), and only come out on a sunny Sunday or a special occasion - if so just get the stick. (There is nothing in the owner's manual that says an automatic can't be a garage queen, but still, just get the stick.) Maybe it will be a casual-use car (nothing wrong with that), driven to work on Friday and driven casually on weekends - if so either transmission would be good, pick the one which suits your lifestyle the best. But maybe you intend to drive the car frequently and use it as your regular car and you like a little more luxury - if so then this is where the automatic really shines.

Frankly, most people seem more concerned with this issue based on what they think other people will think or say, rather than what their own needs are. You should evaluate based on your personal needs and preference, not what someone else thinks is "cool". I personally am willing to give up the extra horsepower for the pleasures of the automatic, but for you, the answer may be different. Ask yourself, am I only concerned about the automatic because of what I think other people might say? Or do you really want every extra horsepower you can get. If you don't think the horsepower is that big of a deal, because both cars are still plenty fast, you might be happy with the automatic. But if not having the extra horsepower would still bug you, you should get the stick. If it would still bother you that someone online (this doesn't happen in real life) will say that your car is not "cool" because it is an automatic, then you should get a stick. If it would still bother you that online (this doesn't happen in real life) someone will say it isn't a "real sports car", then you should get a stick. If you want to drive the car really hard and take it to the track, you should get a stick. If you want to add a supercharger or otherwise boost performance, then you should get a stick. If, on the other hand, you really don't mind what people say so much and you would like to have a great car without all that shifting, plus one that the woman in your life can drive, then go ahead and get an automatic. The automatic is a great car, I highly recommend it. Just be aware that you will have to defend the car (online) against people who say it isn't a "real sports car". If you get an automatic, don't get your feelings hurt when somebody says it has "only 252hp". Don't try and turn it into something else with the speed mods, etc, just so you can say that you have as much hp as the next guy. Buy the automatic, drive it, enjoy it for what it is, and be happy with it. The only thing "wrong" with the automatic is all the negative comments you will hear about it from people online. The car itself is fine. I have a lot of traffic to wade through and I am very happy with the automatic. No one has ever approached me in real life and told me what a loser I am for having an automatic.

You might enjoy the automatic for the qualities it offers, or you still might decide that the manual is the right car for you. The automatic is a fine car and there is nothing inherently "wrong" with it. Same for the manual transmission car. Bottom line, figure out what your own personal needs are and go with that. Both the automatic and stick cars are great, they just offer slightly different trade-offs.

I once loaned my car to a friend who usually drove a manual transmission BMW. He is one of those who is of the opinion that a stick is "better". He took the car on a 2000-mile trip, and when he got back he announced that to his surprise he really enjoyed the automatic because it allowed him to focus on driving the car instead of managing the transmission. Having said that, in only a few weeks he was back to being interested in finding a manual transmission NSX, because in his mind the automatic still just wasn't cool, and he seemed to care more about this than what his own personal experience was. Even his own experience wasn't enough to make him give up the "stick is better" mentality.

After having written all of the above, maybe you have already answered your own question. Since you hesitated when you had the opportunity to buy an automatic, maybe you are like my friend and maybe should just buy the stick? I personally think that an NSX coupe with the tiptronic-style automatic and a nice set of long-wearing ultra-high performance tires is the stuff that car dreams are made of, but that is just me. Maybe having the automatic would still bug you too much? Either way, good luck in finding the car that is right for you!

Personally, a manual transmission car seems like an anachronism to me, and a manual transmission car with manual steering (early cars) particularly seems like an anachronism to me. But that is just my opinion.

Last edited:
I original wanted a manual because its an NSX, but I came across a 95 Red/Tan auto in excellent condition with NAV/DVD/CD/Auto Start/Keyless Entry and all services up to date, which I could not pass up. At first I felt that I had possibly made a mistake, but after 5 months of ownership, I'm very satisfied with my auto. When I feel the need to shift, I put the car in Sport Shift mode. Its not the same as a manual and my car is the slowest of all NSXs made, but, I'm in my mid 50's, live in LA and and already got a speeding ticket that cost be over $325. If the need to drive a stick becomes a problem, I'll sell my 95 and buy a stick. As far as the loss of speed, yes the auto is slower, and not as sporty. If these characteristics are really important to you, then buy a stick.

There are only two reasons NOT to get the automatic. One is that it has less horsepower. Two is that it isn't appropriate in stock form for performance modifications. (Some might say that a third reason is that the "automatic is not cool", but I don't think that is a reason, it is an opinion.) There are offsetting reasons TO get an automatic. One is that a lot of clutching and shifting while creeping through traffic regularly is hard on the clutch (which is a wear item) as well as just plain annoying. Okay, traffic is finally moving, ease up on the clutch, accelerate, clutch and shift, we are moving now, and...brake lights! Back on the clutch and downshift, okay, here we go again, clutch and shift accelerate and clutch and shift and....brake lights again! Repeat 500 times until you finally break out of traffic.. The second is that frequently the women in your life can't drive a stick, so the automatic is a good choice for them. A third reason is that when I am doing triple digit speeds I prefer to focus on driving the car instead of managing the transmission.

Personally, a manual transmission car seems like an anachronism to me, and a manual transmission car with manual steering (early cars) particularly seems like an anachronism to me. (Why not run bias-ply tires and a three on the tree?) But that is just my opinion.

The automatic is a great car, great in traffic, and is a real pleasure to drive, plus the wife, girlfriend, or daughter can drive it. On the few occasions when I am driving at triple digits I prefer having my focus on driving the car, not managing the transmission. There is nothing wrong with an automatic whatsoever, it just isn't quite as performance oriented as the manual. It is more of a "gentleman's NSX". It was detuned by honda to take the pressure off the automatic transmission. The automatic transmission is great in traffic and for high-speed driving and is up to the task for it's purpose, but if you are going to drive your car harder than normal and maybe intend to do performance upgrades or indulge in track time you should stick with the manual. If you intend to leave the car stock and enjoy it the way it is then the automatic is a great choice. You should decide based on how you intend to use the car and what your priorities are.

Frankly, most people seem more concerned with this issue based on what they think other people will think or say, rather than what their own needs are. You should evaluate based on your personal needs and preference, not what someone else thinks is "cool". I personally am willing to give up the extra horsepower for the pleasures of the automatic, but for you, the answer may be different. Ask yourself, am I only concerned about the automatic because of what I think other people might say? Or do you really want every extra horsepower you can get. If you don't think the horsepower is that big of a deal, because both cars are still plenty fast, you might be happy with the automatic. But if not having the extra horsepower would still bug you, you should get the stick. If it would still bother you that someone online (this doesn't happen in real life) will say that your car is not "cool" because it is an automatic, then you should get a stick. If it would still bother you that online (this doesn't happen in real life) someone will say it isn't a "real sports car", then you should get a stick. If you want to drive the car really hard and take it to the track, you should get a stick. If you want to add a supercharger or otherwise boost performance, then you should get a stick. If, on the other hand, you really don't mind what people say so much and you would like to have a great car without all that shifting, plus one that the woman in your life can drive, then go ahead and get an automatic. The automatic is a great car, I highly recommend it. Just be aware that you will have to defend the car (online) against people who say it isn't a "real sports car". If you get an automatic, don't get your feelings hurt when somebody says it has "only 252hp". Don't try and turn it into something else with the speed mods, etc, just so you can say that you have as much hp as the next guy. Buy the automatic, drive it, enjoy it for what it is, and be happy with it. The only thing "wrong" with the automatic is all the negative comments you will hear about it from people online. The car itself is fine. I have a lot of traffic to wade through and I am very happy with the automatic. No one has ever approached me in real life and told me what a loser I am for having an automatic.

You might enjoy the automatic for the qualities it offers, or you still might decide that the manual is the right car for you. The automatic is a fine car and there is nothing inherently "wrong" with it. Bottom line, figure out what your own personal priorities are and go with that. Both the automatic and stick cars are great, they just offer slightly different trade-offs.

I once loaned my car to a friend who usually drove a manual transmission BMW. He is one of those who is of the opinion that a stick is "better". He took the car on a 2000-mile trip, and when he got back he announced that to his surprise he really enjoyed the automatic because it allowed him to focus on driving the car instead of managing the transmission. Having said that, in only a few weeks he was back to being interested in finding a manual transmission NSX, because in his mind the automatic still wasn't cool, and he seemed to care more what someone else might think than what his own personal experience was. Even his own experience wasn't enough to make him give up the "stick is better" mentality.

After having written all of the above, I have come to believe that since you hesitated when it you had the opportunity to buy an automatic, you must be like my friend (nothing wrong with that), and should just buy the stick. Having the automatic would bug you too much.
wow, great post!

Me personally I only prefer a manual, but there's no reason not for others to enjoy the automatic.

My daily driver is a manual sedan that I drive in pretty heavy commute traffic, but I just love having a manual. I'm a bit extreme in that I prefer manual over auto in all cases.

No offense to auto drivers, but driving a auto NSX is like having a penis andyou cant get it up. :tongue:

If your asking if it makes a big difference...well....yes....20 horsepower is a significant difference and plus driving a stick becomes second nature once you get the hang of it. I would drive no other way.
-Julia

It's not just the horsepower difference. It's also the fun factor (of course that's subjective). I just don't feel as engaged driving an automatic car. I feel like my left foot should be doing something, and so should my right hand.

Anachronism? I think the NSX's automatic is more dated than a manual transmission. Many high performance cars still use the traditional manual transmission. The new type of transmission that will probably phase out the traditional manual trasmission is the sequential manual transmission. The sequential manual transmission still has a clutch, but no clutch pedal. The NSX's automatic transmission is a "slush box."

Even though sequential manual transmissions can upshift and downshift faster than I ever could, it's just so much fun to use all of your limbs to drive.

...20 horsepower is a significant difference...

On a 1997, the horsepower difference is 38, so that would be a very significant difference in favor of the manual transmission.

I think the NSX's automatic is more dated than a manual transmission...The NSX's automatic transmission is a "slush box."

What makes it more dated or a "slush box"? This seems like prejudice (prejudged) based on no actual knowledge or experience. You drive a manual NSX, so how would you know? Please don't get mad at me for pointing this out.:smile: I am really, really not trying to start an argument.:smile: I just wonder how you arrived at this conclusion.

I just don't feel as engaged driving an automatic car. I feel like my left foot should be doing something, and so should my right hand..it's just so much fun to use all of your limbs to drive.

There's nothing wrong with using your limbs to get in touch with your, uh, feelings...:wink:

No offense to auto drivers, but driving a auto NSX is like having a penis and you cant get it up.

Is this like calling me a loser and then saying you didn't mean anything by it? Just kidding,:smile: no offense taken.

Last edited:
What makes it more dated or a "slush box"? This seems like prejudice (prejudged) based on no actual knowledge or experience. You drive a stick, so how would you know? Please don't get mad at me for pointing this out.:smile: I am really, really not trying to start an argument.:smile: I just wonder how you arrived at this conclusion.

"Slush box" is a slang term for an automatic transmission because the transmission connects the engine to the drive shaft using fluid instead of a solid plate. I also drive automatics, but I prefer manuals. :wink:

If you think the manual transmission is modern, you might also consider losing the electric starter and rigging up a hand crank.:rolleyes: Think of the weight savings! And when it is raining and you don't feel like cranking, you could park on a hill and just roll it off!:wink: Also, air conditioning is for sissies!:smile:

Last edited:
Guys auto NSX are OK, but don't kid yourselves thinking, that they are equal or better than manual NSX.

Cheers,

AR

A lot of people gain pleasure from rowing through gears, operating the clutch, etc.. they do not gain pleasure from an automatic.

Automatic vs. stick...in cities like Calgary, there is more of a possibility of getting a Lamborghini Countach than finding an NSX:eek: In fact, if you find one - it is usually incrediably expensive and beaten to shiet:eek: Sometimes...you have to take the best car that is available...thus, the argument for gettinga stick still remains and still stands...the stick rules - but the automatic may be the best deal going!!

Dam:cool:

P.S. I am just happy to have a vehicle that goes like Jack-the-Bear and drops everyone's jaw with awe!:cool:

So ends my sermon...lol

i'd say blame it on honda for making an automatic nsx. :) maybe some people don't know how to drive stick or don't care. kudos to them. i don't see the point of driving an nsx with an auto tranny but that's just me. it's not about what other people think. it's just that i feel like i have more control over what the car does... and in the end, that's what i want in a sports car.

no reason he shouldn't get an auto if he wants to.

Back