Audio Speakers? (Klipsch)

Hello fellow nsxers,

I recently started a mini home theater project and was researching some decent speakers for the floor mains. I've heard polks, infinity and klipschs. So far I'm leaning towards the klipschs (RF-5's) based on sound clarity. What do you guys think about Klipsch speakers? Are they worth it (approximately 1000 bucks for a pair of rf-5's) or just another overpriced brand name? Thanks guys for all your inputs.

I actually started to surf the klipsch forum and didn't want to start a flame war over there with this question.

I have the RF5's in my theatre room. They sound great. I really like them. I would recommend buying them.

not sure if your thread will get moved...but...

I LOVE Klipsch speakers... efficient, and accurate with hint of warmth. I also happen to like them because of their accuracy and bright sounding horns.

They are what I will have when I get the speaker portion of my HT up to date. (recenlty did interconnects, receiver, wires, Sub)

I've had my 5.1 Klipsch Reference 3's for about a year now and I can say this: For watching movies and TV, Klipsch is absolutely perfect. For listening to music, you might want to go with Swann's Divas speakers (or so I've heard).

My Klipsch are great for me because, as others have mentioned, it's incredibly efficient and love the bright horn speakers when creating surround sound effect. But for music, I would personally go with a warmer sounding speaker. It's a little too bright for that purpose, IMHO.

Last edited:
Great speakers

I've had a pair of RF-3 II (RF-5's little brother) for a bit over a year. When I was making a decision, I was pretty much looking at what you mentioned: Polk, Infinity, etc. I did not want anything with a powered sub and I liked the Klipsch the best. I bought it with the idea that I would primarily use it for music, but it's hooked up to my home-theater, so it gets a lot of use for movies. As mentioned, it's probably a little on the bright-side when it comes to music, but I think it's a great value given it's price.

Of course, with Klipsch, the efficiency is outstanding. Which is nice as you have the option of using low-wattage tube amps, if you're into that sort of thing.

You've probably already seen this, but the RF-5s have very good reviews on audioreview.

I ended up purchasing the speakers from Brandnamez.com, as they had the lowest price at the time. I had no problems (other than the cheezey name).

One day, when I'm rich (ie: not alone able to afford the speakers, but also afford to have a room built around them), I'd like to get a pair of Klipschorns! :)

thanks Ojas,

I actually found the RF-5's for 1000 at a local dealer but tax is not included in the price yet. Do you remember if you paid tax on your speakers that you bought from brandnamez.com? If they don't charge tax...I'll probably just end up buying from them since it saves me tax, plus having to lugg this big speakers around. Thanks in advance though.

Sam

My NSX addiction has removed me from my past home theater addiction, but I use and would recommend B&W speakers, I don't even remember the model at the moment, but give them a try.

Thats actually the opposite case for me. My previous addiction was my NSX and after it was involved in an accident (totalled), I pretty much started my home theater addiciton.

As for the B & W speakers, I'll try find to somewhere I can listen to them.

Ennesssex said:
I actually found the RF-5's for 1000 at a local dealer but tax is not included in the price yet. Do you remember if you paid tax on your speakers that you bought from brandnamez.com? If they don't charge tax...I'll probably just end up buying from them since it saves me tax, plus having to lugg this big speakers around. Thanks in advance though.

I did not pay tax, since I don't live in NY, but, of course, I did have to pay shipping. The ground rate was pretty reasonable.

Wow, now that I think about it, RF-5's for $1000 seems like a great deal for a local dealer. You certainly make a good point about lugging the big/heavy speakers around.

However, I think I would have purchased locally if the price was somewhat comparable (in my case it was not). When ordering on the net/mail-order, shipping might be less than taxes and you'd have the speakers delivered to your front door, but there is always the chance the speakers could get damaged during shipping. Of course, UPS/FedEx/whoever would take care of it but it's still a hassle. Just something to think about.

Good luck - enjoy your speakers!

thanks guys...I went ahead and bought the Klipsch RF-5's from brandnamez.com. The total came out to 1079 including shipping and no tax. So I'm pretty happy with it. I think the part about lugging the speakers around and having to go to the store eventually pushed me into buying over the internet. lol....(I know lazy but convenient)

Anyways I am now in search of a good subwoofer and I've been interested in the SVS subs. Does anyone currently have those subs? If so, what how do you like em? Thanks guys for all the help.

I checked out soundpros and they do carry Klipsch speakers but not the RF-5's. :( Your right about cheap prices though.

Ennesssex said:
Anyways I am now in search of a good subwoofer and I've been interested in the SVS subs. Does anyone currently have those subs? If so, what how do you like em?

I checked out soundpros and they do carry Klipsch speakers but not the RF-5's. :( Your right about cheap prices though.

Yeah Sound pros is one of the cheapest places you can TRUST...so I'll be doing whatever business I can with them in the future, provided they have what I'm looking for...

And as for your other question: Damn skippy I LOVE my SVS:

my_child.jpg

and I got the small one :D

45tx_wires_organized.jpg

honestly in my opinion you'd be very very hard pressed to beat the clean performance of any svs at any price. (of course matched to their respective range of competition) Tom at SVS made me feel like I was their only customer while at the same time giving 150% dedication to 50 other people. Their customer service is unbelievable, and couple that with their amazing products and I can't think of a better bass solution. That's my take on it... :D I'm a happy camper.

I guess I could go on and on...but that thing literally shakes the house. It puts picture frames off kilter, knocks crap off walls, etc. I can't honestly listen to it at it's potential for fear of breaking something. And I'm NOT kidding.

Mine is the 25-31 PCi tuned to 22hz. So in other words...22-31PCi. Good stuff.

Sweeet picture, must sound pretty nice in there. Anyways I think I'm pretty much set on buying the SVS sub but the only negative thing about it is that I can't hear the sub before I buy it. Other than that I've been hearing rave reviews about it especially the performance for the price you pay for them.

Hey Scott, did you buy the sub with pre-amp built in or are you running seperate amps? If you are what wattage too? Thanks.
I'm trying to figure out if I should get the 320 watt sub or the 525 watt for a room thats roughly 11 feet by 15 feet room, not fully enclosed room.

You should check out jandr.com too, they got some good stuff for cheap. I just bought a receive from them and the transaction was smooth.

Sam

Thanks! It does sound awesome...and my room is pretty open as well. Actually I worked with Tom V. the owner of SVS for over a month before I actually bought the sub. I sent him room schematics and exchanged emails with him for a while about listening preferences, equipment compatability, etc. No rock was left unturned.

Like you, I had no opportunity to listen to it before I bought it, but they have great customer service and I'm positive they'll help you get great sound out of any room. I'd email him directly first and see what particular sub he reccomends. So far I've turned at least one other close friend of mine onto SVS and while we were thinking he would need Dual SVS Ultras or something Tom was humble enough to let us know that based on all the floor plans, etc... a 20-39PCi or PC plus would be perfect for him. And as far as I have seen on other forums so far they haven't tried to get people to buy the biggest or most expensive...only what's right for their applications. That goes far to say alot about how they do business.

My SVS is the 22-31PCi (Power Cylinder Improved)... and the PCi line DOES have the built in 320watt Bash AMP. It's well more than enough for my house and my room. I would check with Tom though to make sure you don't buy too much or too little sub for your specific room.

here's another pic of my house so you can see how much bass floats around, yet I still hear tight, non directional, full enveloping, bone shattering bass. This pic shows my surrounds after the SVS gets going...they're no longer straight on the wall...

surrounds_got_rumbled.jpg

edit: I PM'd you the email...

Last edited:
Back