Audi R5...thoughts?

Edit: Title should read "S5", not "R5".

While at the ALMS at Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway this weekend, I took a stroll over to the Audi corral to get an up close look at the R8. Though I was not overly impressed with the shape of the R8 given all of the hype, I caught a glance of something that really called to me...the Audi S5.

I've always liked Audi and the S5 had that something that kept me thinking about it well into the evening. For well under $100K it has that European GT car style and w/ about 350hp and a V-8, it will make a nice car that I won't mind valet parking (I never take the NSX if I have to valet park). Yes, I know about Audi reliability, but I'm not looking at this car from a practical standpoint...it's more about "like it, gotta have it". :smile: I'm thinking something in a dark color w/ red leather. I know the RS5 will be an absolute monster vs. this S5, but I don't need that kind of power.

My local dealership doesn't have one yet (and I just got back from Laguna Seca yesterday), so I haven't had time to look it over in details, but what are some thoughts on this car? Like the style? Don't like it? Good? Bad? Just wondering if any other NSX owners like it as much as I do.

S5 photo:
audi_s5_official_images_main.jpg

A5 photo (S5 looks the same, different motor, etc):
exterior.Par.0074.Image.jpg

exterior.Par.0078.Image.jpg

The S5 has quad tips instead of dual
exterior.Par.0083.Image.jpg

exterior.Par.0354.Image.jpg

The S5 interior has an option for red and looks much nicer
interior.Par.0012.Image.jpg

Last edited:
I dunno, it looks like every other sedan out there, only this one has two doors. What about this particular car calls to you? I have no idea what the price on it is, but if it's anywhere in the M5 ballpark, that seems like more for your $$$ and about as reliable :).

Maybe you have to see it in person?

Isn't that a S5. I think its going to be in the M3 price range. Personally I would take the M3 instead.

Im not an Audi guy so I dont have the info but I thought the S5's came with red interior, or is that besically a personal choice and you can pick any color combo you want with Audi. I only guessed this because I saw another pic of an S5 with red seats and red door inserts and thought...wow that would look good on my NSX. :smile:

Thanks for the early feedback.

Oops. I wrote R5 in the title. My mistake. I think I saw the S5.

I agree w/ the comment that it tends to look like some of the other designs out there, but in person, this car has a size, heft and presence that works for me. Similar to the BMW 6 Series, but a little more masculine and direct in it's design while still looking "sporty". I've been looking at the 6 Series lately too, but the design is a little too "cury" for me. It may have a lot to do w/ the character lines on the profile, the nose and clean sweep through the tail on the Audi.

I configured on the Audi website. Was looking at the Phantom Black Pearl Effect, but the Isis White on jumped out at me too. Man, I have to see another one in person soon.

I'd be all over an M5, but not looking to spend that much to replace my Lexus GS as a daily driver - rain, hail, parked outside at work, etc. This Audi would essentially become the grocery getter (albeit a more costly one to maintain).

Thanks for the feedback on the M3 Coupe. I just saw videos of the 4G M3 Coupe on the BMW USA website and it's really nice looking. 414hp doesn't hurt either. I'm looking for a large coupe, and the BMW might be a little on the smaller side. I'll have to check it out at the dealer once they are in.

Base price on the V-8 is only $50K. The one I saw (the S5), w/ the 354HP motor, red leather upgrade, Bang & Olufsen stereo upgrade, technology package, nav package, wheels upgrade, moonroof, headlight washers, power seats, tpms, etc and some other bits such as carbon fiber trim was stickered at $58K (including destination). This includes quattro AWD. Not a bad price, I thought, for a nice tourer that will be used as a daily driver.

Here is a picture of the interior:
interior.Par.0005.Image.jpg

Last edited:
I love the A5/S5 cars. Gorgeous design, that engine sounds good and pulls well, and it's just flat out classy. :thumbup:

Beautiful car...Audi has another winner!

went to go look at a new TT, but instead ended up test driving the S5. they just got theirs in over the weekend. that thing is a beast. and sounds good for a stock setup too. the car has a lot of nice features. great ride, comfortable... but also very aggressive.

i personally love the red/black interior with carbon trim package... i'm really now considering the S5 as a potential.

I've seen a few of these driving around the Thousand Oaks area. Yes, I know they are not officially out yet but I see a lot of prototypes around this area and this was many months ago. They really look better than the BMW 3 series coupe, IMO. It seems to share a lot of the same lines with the 3 series coupe. I've seen red and silver ones and both on the 101 freeway. The only thing I didn't like about it was the Audi front grill.

The M3 will destroy the S5 in performance. I'll have to sit in both to decide which one to get. :)

the S5's are out now.... i test drove the actual floor model... they have 4 in stock at penske audi in west covina... sales man tried to sell me on a black one.... :biggrin:

There was comparison last month in the Dutch magazine Autoreview, between the new Audi S5 with its 354 HP engine and the BMW 335i with it's 306 HP engine.
What surprisied me was how was the S5 was considering it was listed with a test weight of well over 3500 lbs. Don't have the article at hand, but it was something like 0-100 mph in about 11 seconds.

So, performance wise it's a very fast car in my opinion. Although I believe that the BMW was choosen as the no. 1 in that article because of its dynamic capabilities.

You guys might want to download Season 12, Episode 1 of Fifth Gear from www.finalgear.com. It has a nice track centered segment on the S5 vs 335i coupe.

You guys might want to download Season 12, Episode 1 of Fifth Gear from www.finalgear.com. It has a nice track centered segment on the S5 vs 335i coupe.

I watched that episode yesterday. Very close race even though the 335i has less power (the 335i won by a fraction of a second). I did like how the Audi looked going down the track though. :biggrin:

I love my B5 S4 as a daily driver. The AWD in the PacNW is great, since it rains here all winter long. I'm seriously considering trading up to the S5 next year. The only downside on these cars is the gas mileage. We're talking SUV range.
15-20...the price you pay for a heavy AWD V8 car. But then again, the V8 makes it great to drive around town...lots of torque, no lag, etc etc.

The newer engines should be a little more efficient, but nowhere near the 335 I bet.

I love the roofline on this car... and most everything else. I just bought an A3 for a commuter, and they have done it again with their new style line. Took me a bit to get used to the big grill, but I love the aggressive look of the S line.

Great job Audi... I'm on number 3, and maybe a fourth will be in the cards someday.

Back