Audi R4 sounds like a HSC type car

What do you guys think?

( I hope they steal a little styling from Lambo and don't just make a small R8, I don't find the R8 very exotic lookingl)

Audi is planning a third sports car Like the R8, the R4 would be a two-seater with a mid-engine configuration. The base model would have at least 250 horsepower, and pricing would start around 40,000 euros. The car would be contracted of aluminum and steel, weighing around 2,600 lbs. High performance models with power between 280 horsepower and 350 horsepower are also likely, the magazine said. It would compete with the Porsche Cayman and Boxster.

The proposed R4 project would be a joint effort with sister company SEAT, which is planning a similar vehicle. The SEAT model — which would be sold as a coupe only — would likely cost around 30,000 euros and be limited to around 6,000 cars. The R4, on the other hand, would be higher volume with 35,000 cars and would come as a coupe or roadster. The Audi will have an entirely unique exterior and a better interior than its SEAT counterpart. The R4 would likely arrive in 2010. [See full cover PDF here]. http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-audi-planning-r4-to-compete-with-cayman-boxster.html

The Audi R4 will be built off an all-new platform and will be a strict two-seater and will haveit’s larger sibling the R8, will have a mid-ship mounted engine. The R4 will be powered by a series of engines, but the top of them will be a V6 engine delivering arround 280-300hp.

The same mid-mounted engine powers the Porsche Cayman and Boxster models, but they are not beeing considered competitors for the new R4. Maximum output for the 2.7-litre Boxster’s engine is 240 hp, makes the 0 to 60 mph sprint in 6.2 seconds and has a top speed of 159 mph. The Cayman is powered by a 2.7 liters engine developing an output of 245 bhp. It has a top speed of 160 mph and makes the 0 to 60 mph in 6.1 seconds.

The problem with the new R4 is that being placed between TT and R8, will cut into R8’s segment. The R4 will be more powerful than the TT (powered by a V6 engine with an output of 250 hp), but will be under the R8 that is powered by a V8 engine with an output of 412 hp. So, for the ones that can’t afford buying a R8 (more than $100.000), the new R4 ($50.000 est.) is a very good option.

The R4 will make the 0 to 60 mph sprint in less than 5.5 seconds and will have a top speed of 155 mph (electronically limited).

On the same platform as the R4 will be build a new coupe from Seat, that will probably be one of the most expensive Seat ever ($39000). The model will be limited to 6.000 units.

The new R4 will be launched in 2010, in both coupe and roadster options.

Last edited:
I love magazines...

"Audi is planning a third sports car"

Next thing you know, we have weight, engine hp, 0-60 times, price, the whole thing. So the R4 is already built?

I think we should stop at "planning" and just see what happens. I've heard the rumor as well, but wait until we at least see a show car.

On paper (the magazine's paper) this car sounds like a winner...but don't they always?

I remember the Audi Le Mans concepts. I thought the R8 was going to eclipse the F430 performance but it never got out of 911 league :tongue: :biggrin:

Back