Are Zanardi's worth more than a '99 coupe?

How much more are Zanardi's worth than a '99 coupe?

Edmunds lists a '99 NSX couple with 30000 miles in clean condition at ~47500 for a private party sale. In the past, I've had very good luck buying cars at pretty close to what edmunds lists vehicles, but many NSXs I've seen listed are asking much more than that. (yes, I know dealers are usually a few thousand more)

I did a little research, and it looks like the MSRP for the Zanardi was the same as that for the coupe for that year, yet the two on autotrader online (#33 & #47) are asking 63000 & 53000, respectively. What's the deal here?

I'm in the market for a new car, and have always loved the NSX, so I'm trying to decide between a new 04 S2000, or a '97-00 NSX. I think I'd like to get a Zanardi if I can, but I refuse to pay $10000+ over fair market value to get one.

Anyone know what the average low miles (< 30000) Zanardi sells for? Is there any way to find out what the last 5 Zanardis sold for? That information should be public record somewhere...

edit: Changed subject to more closely match what I'm asking.

Last edited:
Don't forget only 49 Zanardis were made available for public consumption. I would think dealers are tying to capitalize because of the low "supply" of the Zanardi. Sometimes they forget that basic economics requires them to measure demand as well.

nsxtacey said:
do a search, 33 and 47 have been discussed.

I HAVE done a search. I've been reading the 3 threads of interest which I assume you are refering to this last week. One mentions that 33 is probably overpriced, the one about 47 spends most of its time talking about 49 instead, and NONE of them talk about how much a Zanardi *should* go for, which is the piece of information I'm REALLY interested in.

Anyway, I know the Zanardis charge a premium, but is it really in the $10000 range?

I beleive RyRy210 answered you!

Supply and Demand. If you want a Zanardi bad enough, you will justify the price to yourself so don't ask what is reasonable. And if the dealer gets no bites, he will sell it at auction or even at a loss to get rid of inventory. It's all who blinks first. The dealers who buy and sell a lot of NSXs do not bother with investing in a Zanardi. There is a reason for that ;)

The Zanardi is not for anyone who likes to own an NSX. Thus the number of prospective buyers are even fewer. And while only 50 were made, unfortunately they were not adeqautely marketed, and are not that distinctively different in performance than what $10K of aftermarket can do to a coupe (if you find one) or even a Targa. But then 20 years from they may fetch more dollars.

YMMV

Infidel said:
I HAVE done a search. I've been reading the 3 threads of interest which I assume you are refering to this last week. One mentions that 33 is probably overpriced, the one about 47 spends most of its time talking about 49 instead, and NONE of them talk about how much a Zanardi *should* go for, which is the piece of information I'm REALLY interested in.

Anyway, I know the Zanardis charge a premium, but is it really in the $10000 range?

Zanardi #33 is supercharged with headers and exhaust as well as Comptech springs. It's worth the premium.

The point that you are missing is this: When it comes to estimating market values for a low-production car like the NSX, Edmunds is often just flat-out WRONG. They don't get enough reports of sale transactions to estimate market values based on actual sales, so they just apply a global depreciation factor that may be accurate for an Accord, but doesn't apply to the NSX. So when you say you don't want to pay $10,000 more than fair market value, if you are relying on Edmunds for your numbers, what you really mean is that you don't want to pay $10,000 more than AN ABSOLUTELY BOGUS NUMBER.

If you want to know what NSX market values REALLY are, go to the NSX FAQ and look in the Pricing section (under the Buy, Sell category).

It is even tougher to calculate market value for a 3.2-liter NSX Coupe, just because there are so few of them around. I would guess that they would sell for as much as an otherwise-similar NSX-T, and possibly a couple grand more. (And I do NOT think that a 3.2-liter NSX Coupe would sell for significantly different from a Zanardi NSX.)

IMO a really nice Zanardi or '99 NSX Coupe - "nice" being defined as immaculate condition, no problems, no accident history, clean title, all maintenance performed (including a 60K service, which is due at 4 years regardless of mileage), and average mileage or below (average is 5K/year, or 25K miles on a '99) ought to sell for somewhere in the $51-55K range. But beware - there are not that many out there; many of the Zanardis have been wrecked, many have had less-than-desirable mods installed, and many have high mileage, so there aren't that many immaculate lower-mileage cars out there.

I would put an asking price of $63K into a category labeled "wishful thinking". (This often happens when a lot has been spent on mods, as is true with this one.) But you never know when someone might have an unrealistic asking price, but might accept a realistic offer.

Back