Are all NSX's "50-State or California certified" vehicles?

Hello,

I live in Calif. and I'm in the market for a 95 NSX. It appears that the more affordable cars of this vintage are found in states other than Calif. It is my understanding (I have yet to confirm this) that you cannot register a car purchased outside of Calif. unless it is a "50-State or California certified" vehicle. My first question is, does anyone have experience on this issue? My second questions is, are all NSX's 50-State or California certified? If the second is true, then my first question is mute.

I plan to call the DMV and the local Acura dealership, but was hoping that I can get some feedback here.

Thanks,

Mario

Every NSX ever made for the North American market should pass CA smog. When you bring a car to CA as long as it passes it's initial emissions test, it's legal. Since CA has the strictest emissions requirements that state is usually used as the barometer.

As for headers, any aftermarket headers have to be CA-CARB certified and carry the sticker. Many headers may pass CA emissions but are not CARB legal. Emissions testers are supposed to look for any evidence of aftermarket headers and ask for the CARB sticker.

I have imported at least 3 vehicles from MA and FL to CA and never had any issues.

I hope that helps :smile:

G

Any NSX originally sold in the USA is 50-state compliant.

For more info, use the Search (between "New Posts" and
"Quick Links" above) and look for threads with 50-state.

Thanks guys, I should have known that this subject has come up in the past, and used the "search" tool. Now I know I can go out of state.

Thanks Again,

Mario

Back