ARC oil pan

What are the real world pros/cons of the ARC oil pan? Does the increased oil capacity keep temperatures cooler?

What I thought of off the top of my head:

PROS
1. Increased oil capacity = cooler temps (?)
2. Increased oil capacity + baffles = no oil starvation on the track during hard turns
3. Bungs allow for 2 sensors to be plugged in

CONS
1. More expensive oil changes

I don't think dimension-wise it's bigger, so I can't see it getting dinged up more often.

And bottom line:

Any real world experience? And if so, is it worth it?

For the price, I don't think it is worth buying unless you are running an aggressive FI system, in which case an extended oil pan (not necessarily ARC)is a must. I know Esprit1 put one in with his FX500 turbo setup while I went with the Dali extended pan for my FX500. Both seem to be holding up just fine and doing their jobs.

$1000 bucks!!! Uh, I think there are probably better mods you can do for $1000 bucks.

splitz said:
$1000 bucks!!! Uh, I think there are probably better mods you can do for $1000 bucks.

I don't think the person in the market for this part is at the stage of upgrades on their NSX where there are still better mods to make for the same money...

J

IMO, it's a nice piece, but like most saying, it doesn't have its place for asking at more than $1000.00. With all said, i do have one on my car as I was few of the lucky one obtained it way below cost when there's a time Chris decided to throw them away ;) (thanks Chris) But even with that price, I had not put it in until I had an accident with my oil pan. (I over torqued and stripped the oil pan plug!)

Anyway, here is some first hand experience with the oil pan.

1. it does take a lot more oil. I put more than 7 qt. in it.
2. If you have aftermarket header, the front bank had to come off, as most aftermarket header is a one piece design, unlike stock. It will be quite a bit labor time.
3. Seems to me that the oil dip stick is not as accurate as before.

all in all, I would think an accusump will be a much more worthy investment.

Have to agree that the ARC pan will really only be for those who've modified their NSX past normal bolt-ons. Here's mine, purchased from Science of Speed quite a while ago:

40552006_0715Image0120.jpg

It looks different than the SOS pics b/c it's ceramic coated outside and oil shedding coating inside. I think I got mine for about $450 during a "clearance." Yeah, I was pretty fortunate.

ONe benefit I see is that the ARC pan has two plug, one of which can be used to read oil temp without any other mod.

Back