Apx exhaust owners where you at?

I just bought one of those apx version 1 exhausts. Anyone have videos or thoughts to share?
I am still waiting for Will to stop eating moose and ship mine out.:biggrin: Canadian joke...
I chose this exhaust for the sound and the sound alone. I could care less about looks unless I remove my rear valence. I only found a few vids on YouTube and they had me sold. The sound is refined, tuned, and unrestricted for a fi car. The others I was looking at looked like works of art but lacked sound I find desirable.
THIS exhaust has the sound I think a nsx should have always sounded from the start. From idle to redline.

Currently, I run the taitec jgtc and it sounds glorious above 5k rpm. Under 5k rpm, think Honda Civic with a N1 style muffler. I was looking for quite some time for a smooth aggressive exhaust. I think I found it. Other runner up was a pride V2, then I heard one in person. Check that one off the list. Love to see some vids while I patiently wait for mine. Picked mine up in his spring sale for quite a deal.

I just finished installing my AP-X exhaust last week. I too bought it mostly for the sound, but I also like the simple design and the V-band is a nice touch. Not to mention supporting the handmade NSX parts makers out there.

Anyways......my car is otherwise stock and I love the sound of this system. I didn't want a system that has a high-pitched-raspy sound. I never really found a sound clip online that does the sound of this system any justice......or any system really. iPhone mics just can't do it. The AP-X system is hardly noticeable at cruise, but has an aggressive, throaty tone when you bring up the revs. It never sounds raspy, metallic, or overly high-pitched.

When I first began installing my AP-X system I thought it may have been made incorrectly. I couldn't seem to get it to line up and come together properly. Turned out to be installer error.....me. After mildly bending the hanger rods Will has on his system and losening a few bolts to help get everything adjusted, the exhaust fit up nicely. I personally don't like the astehic look of the tips Will has crafted, so I'll be installing a new set soon. Otherwise, the AP-X is exactly what I was hoping for.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I text Will about my difficulty during installation. He was very helpful not only via text, but over the phone too. He even followed up with me recently just to make sure I was happy with the system.

Thanks Will

I just finished installing my AP-X exhaust last week. I too bought it mostly for the sound, but I also like the simple design and the V-band is a nice touch. Not to mention supporting the handmade NSX parts makers out there.

Anyways......my car is otherwise stock and I love the sound of this system. I didn't want a system that has a high-pitched-raspy sound. I never really found a sound clip online that does the sound of this system any justice......or any system really. iPhone mics just can't do it. The AP-X system is hardly noticeable at cruise, but has an aggressive, throaty tone when you bring up the revs. It never sounds raspy, metallic, or overly high-pitched.

When I first began installing my AP-X system I thought it may have been made incorrectly. I couldn't seem to get it to line up and come together properly. Turned out to be installer error.....me. After mildly bending the hanger rods Will has on his system and losening a few bolts to help get everything adjusted, the exhaust fit up nicely. I personally don't like the astehic look of the tips Will has crafted, so I'll be installing a new set soon. Otherwise, the AP-X is exactly what I was hoping for.

My AP-X should be here soon. This will be my first aftermarket exhaust since the Stebro that I had on my 79 Accord. That car sounded great. The twin webers and header didn't hurt either.

I've been running AP-X for 4 yrs now and love the sound. I added twin turbos and highflow cats from SOS and the sound changed very little and sounds great with the turbo whine in the mix. Barely noticeable drone at about 2 to 2.3 K RPMS. The AP-X is a great exhaust to have attached to a turbo kit as it allows for good exhaust flow. On my 91 NSX I had Pride V-2 and loved that sound as well. But that version has too many bends for a turbo IMO. The Pride RFL would be a better choice for Turbos. I hope this is helpful.

I've been running AP-X for 4 yrs now and love the sound. I added twin turbos and highflow cats from SOS and the sound changed very little and sounds great with the turbo whine in the mix. Barely noticeable drone at about 2 to 2.3 K RPMS. The AP-X is a great exhaust to have attached to a turbo kit as it allows for good exhaust flow. On my 91 NSX I had Pride V-2 and loved that sound as well. But that version has too many bends for a turbo IMO. The Pride RFL would be a better choice for Turbos. I hope this is helpful.
buckeye, do you have the original style tip or the tanabe style? I went with the regular style cause I agree with Will that it helps prevent the megaphone affect. I really do love the smooth sound of this exhaust. It never gets raspy. I heard that the exhaust does drone slightly at 2k but that is just fine as that is just a mere blip above idle. I also heard that the 2k drone dissipates after running for a few thousand miles, is that correct? I heard the rfl v2 exhaust. It sounded beastly at low rpms but when I flew past it in my jgtc it was rather muted.

On my 91 NSX I had Pride V-2 and loved that sound as well.

How would you compare the sound of the AP-X over the pride V2? I had the V2 pride briefly and loved the sound *except* for moderate throttle between 3-4k RPMs, where it would buzz and resonate like a 4cyl engine with an exhaust might. If it didn't have that zone of resonating I would have absolutely loved the pride v2!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I text Will about my difficulty during installation. He was very helpful not only via text, but over the phone too. He even followed up with me recently just to make sure I was happy with the system.

Thanks Will

Thanks for the good review - I;m very happy to hear the system bolted on like it was supposed to once we figured out those short bolts you had.

As for the exhaust tips, I will very soon have 3 different options for tips - one of them is very close to the stock 95-99 factory tips for those who don't want to draw too much attention.

- - - Updated - - -

buckeye, do you have the original style tip or the tanabe style? I went with the regular style cause I agree with Will that it helps prevent the megaphone affect. I really do love the smooth sound of this exhaust. It never gets raspy. I heard that the exhaust does drone slightly at 2k but that is just fine as that is just a mere blip above idle. I also heard that the 2k drone dissipates after running for a few thousand miles, is that correct? I heard the rfl v2 exhaust. It sounded beastly at low rpms but when I flew past it in my jgtc it was rather muted.

The tips will also prevent discoloration due to heat as well as preventing the megaphone effect.

What I like personally about the system is that it sounds "tuned" at all RPMs and not just high RPM. As far as the drone is concerned, it is VERY mild compared to the drone of other systems for the NSX - also we have found over the years that very few people actually load the engine at those low RPMs to induce the drone, which is mild in any case.

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like you need the forced induction version of the AP-X exhaust - larger piping and less restrictive mufflers but the SAME design for the same great sound.

I'm not familiar with the tip styles. But, the drone is extremely minimal and my passengers never notice it. I'm very happy with it.

How would you compare the sound of the AP-X over the pride V2? I had the V2 pride briefly and loved the sound *except* for moderate throttle between 3-4k RPMs, where it would buzz and resonate like a 4cyl engine with an exhaust might. If it didn't have that zone of resonating I would have absolutely loved the pride v2!

You may have had something loose or rubbing that caused the buzz. I didn't have that at all. As for a comparison between the two exhaust systems, they have a very similar sound. Though, IMO, the AP-X is a little lower in tone at speed. Neither, is overly loud which keeps my neighbors happy. I bought my current car with the AP-X already on it. At the time I bought the car, I though I would get another Pride exhaust. But, after driving the car 1,400 mile from to previous owner's home to my house, I was very happy with the sound of the AP-X. I decided to keep it. Nothing like a long trip to find out how livable an exhaust can be. And after the Turbo installation, I still love the sound and get quite a few comments on how good it sounds. Both Angus and Pride build very high quality exhausts and are great to deal with and they back their products so you can't go wrong with either. As with anything you put on your car it's always a matter of personal taste.

I also have the AP-X and love the exhaust, it sounded great when I had the stock boat anchor's but with the header's it sounds amazing. I am currently looking at some high flow cat options.
Will's excellent customer service makes having his exhaust worth while to know that he is a phone call away and always willing to help.
Let us know when you planning on releasing new tip styles. I would really like a dual tip option.
Maybe some Tri State member's can chime in on how my car sounds from the outside.

I've had my AP-X for 4 years and have been very happy with it. Cold start sound always brings a huge smile. Overall it was a great purchase. Will's customer service and communication made the transaction stress free.

I am prepping my X for sale in the next few weeks and will be returning the car to stock and will be posting this exhaust for sale. I only put a few thousand miles on it....unfortunately.

Hands down for one of the best sounding exhaust for the NSX. I just bought Angus v2 2.5inch RACE version. It is a better option for FI Supercharged and sound is intoxicating. I am selling mines now, because I am going Turbo, so too bad I can't keep it. I just got it like 2 days ago. if anyone wants it let me know brand new in the box. Thanks

Ravi

Last edited:
Update: I just installed the AP-X exhaust today. Lining everything up was a little challenging but the multi connectors allow for infinite adjustment. There are some much more bling exhausts out there.
The sound is exactly what I was looking for. Nice and smooth almost factory like while cruising around and low rumble at idle, Then nice and loud at full throttle. This exhaust still doesn't sound as good as my Taitec exhaust at full throttle and deceleration. however, I cannot stand the noise while cruising anymore. The taitec transformed the car into a track ready beastly sounding car even with stock cats. I sure will miss it...
Overall I really like this exhaust. I can hear my radio and talk on the Bluetooth again! Very nice product.

Back