• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anything tricky about putting a front fender liner on?

my driver side was the only thing that was damaged on my car when i bought it and i want to get a new one just curious of what i may b getting into. just seems like clips to me

my driver side was the only thing that was damaged on my car when i bought it and i want to get a new one just curious of what i may b getting into. just seems like clips to me

I've taken mine out numerous times for a cleaning and respray with black vinyl paint.
Just clips and screws.
The front liners are a bit awkward where they join the A/C condenser vents

I've taken mine out numerous times for a cleaning and respray with black vinyl paint.
Just clips and screws.
The front liners are a bit awkward where they join the A/C condenser vents

Ok cool, thank you for the input

Make sure to get extra clips. OEM are expensive and generic are not as nice but pennies on the dollar. Also helps for the liner to be warm and therefore more flexible.

Piece of cake. I replaced both if mine. You will need new pins as the old pins tend to break from age. You can get 100 8mm push pins from Ebay for just under $7. What's nice about the after market pins is that they can be removed without having to pry them out so they don't break and can be reused over and over.
IMG_20150328_100909503.jpg

Last edited:
Piece of cake. I replaced both if mine. You will need new pins as the old pins tend to break from age. You can get 100 8mm push pins from Ebay for just under $7. What's nice about the after market pins is that they can be removed without having to pry them out so they don't break and can be reused over and over.
View attachment 126874
:cool:

View attachment 126874

A small point about the oem clips.
To remove them you push the center pin inwards which releases the clip.
Once released the clip will fall out or pull out easily, no prying needed.

A small point about the oem clips.
To remove them you push the center pin inwards which releases the clip.
Once released the clip will fall out or pull out easily, no prying needed.

Anyone have a link to the OEM and a current listing on eBay? My dealership used to simply replace them, but now they no longer stock them...

Last edited:
I recently installed new rear liners. I ordered all new OEM push pins at the same time. I paid much more than those ebay prices. I'll order a bunch of those ebay ones to keep on hand. That's excellent pricing.

I have used the non Oem ones from eBay here as well. They suck. All you need to do is tug lightly on the fender liner and they pop right out. I used the cheapo ones on the cowl trim gasket under the hood and took the Oem ones out. There's almost 40$ worth of clips under that gasket! Jackpot. The eBay ones in theory work. But the Oem ones hold solid as a screw. The non Oem ones just don't.

Thanks for the comparison [MENTION=31260]Jinks[/MENTION]. I have suspected that the OEM ones are better; really, for the price, one would hope so. Maybe using crappy fasteners is why I feel like the liners aren't that well attached. I took one of the clips that sandwiches the fender off my old liner and added it to the new liner, which helped considerably.

Thanks for the comparison @Jinks. I have suspected that the OEM ones are better; really, for the price, one would hope so. Maybe using crappy fasteners is why I feel like the liners aren't that well attached. I took one of the clips that sandwiches the fender off my old liner and added it to the new liner, which helped considerably.
Good deal man. The cheap clips work. But at the extreme cost of the Oem liners ya wanna make sure they are secure. I use the cheap ones for everything but the fender liners, such as the radiator duct, cowl gasket, ect. Then I use the high dollar Oem ones for the fenders.

Ya gotta consider this too. Rear liner weren't cheap so I opted for the OEM pins as well. You'll only do it once in the cars lifetime so just do it right the first time and be done.

The ebay clips come in various degrees of quality. So far only a few I had previously purchased did not perform well, but the last batch work fine. Most of the issues are with the holes in the fender itself where clips were previously pulled out from rubbing tires, which ended up making the holes just a fraction larger so neither oem or other clips work 100%. OEM clips are way overpriced so unless you want to spend the money I would suggest experimenting.

Back