Anyone use Photochromic lenses in their glasses?

They are also commonly referred to as "transition" lenses for prescription eyeglasses. They darken when you go outside and clear up when you come back in.

Anyone have any experience using these? Comments good or bad?

Thx

Yes, I recently got a pair of them. My overall response to them is sort of ho-hum. They are not very dark, so in bright sun I wish they were darker. They are kind of a medium gray when fully activated. On the plus side, when you come indoors they are not too dark so you are not tempted to take them off to see better. And they go completely clear when indoors, which is good. They do react pretty quickly, but not as quickly as that TV ad would have you believe. And, since they are UV activated, they are not very dark at all when driving, since auto glass tends to filter UV and the shadow of the roof and all.

I do prefer them over full clear lenses, but they are not as effective at blocking light as true sunglasses. And they are not polarized.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Get the Kodak "Instashades" (your eye care professional will know). The change up to 6 times faster than traditional transition lenses (typically from a company called Varilux).

They work great if you need something like that, but I would reccommend buying a pair of regular glasses for indoor use (insist on an AR (Zeiss Crizal Alize is the one of best right now) and a hard coating (ask for "Foundation")), and high quality optical sunglasses for outdoors. Maui Jim has some great glasses for bright sun, and I LOVE my Serengeti's for driving (hell, the frame name is Autobahn...).

Also, if you are having clear or transition lenses put into a drill mount frame, insist on poly lenses at least, Trivex or Trilogy are even better.

As to how I know this, I work for an independent optical lab making lenses for doctors around the MI area. Feel free to ask me any questions, and while I can't get frames for you at cost, I will happily let you know what cost is on any frame you are looking at. As a rule of thumb, frames alone are marked up around 50% (i.e. a $180 pair of sunglasses cost the store around $90 or $100)...

Thx for all the info poet. I do have some questions if you don't mind.
poet_x said:
They work great if you need something like that, but I would reccommend buying a pair of regular glasses for indoor use (insist on an AR (Zeiss Crizal Alize is the one of best right now) and a hard coating (ask for "Foundation")), and high quality optical sunglasses for outdoors.

What is a "hard coating"? Is that the anti-glare coating or something different?

poet_x said:
Also, if you are having clear or transition lenses put into a drill mount frame, insist on poly lenses at least, Trivex or Trilogy are even better.

Also, what is a drill mount frame? My previous glasses were titanium, which I loved. They had no screws holding them together and they were very flexible, which worked great around my nieces and nephews who always need to grab my glasses.
:p
I would actually like to try to re-use my old frames if possible. They were a bit mangled in a recent bike accident. I'm assuming a professional could restraighten them.

Last question: you mention several glasses, one for indoors, one for driving, and one for sun. This is actually what I'm trying to avoid. I would like to have one pair that does it all, hence the photochromic. Is this possible or a pipe dream?

Thx :cool:

hlweyl said:
What is a "hard coating"?

Hard coting is a scratch coating, generally with a 2 year warranty. It just makes lenses more durable.

hlkeyl said:
what is a drill mount frame?

Drill mount frames are rimless, and are currently the "in" thing in eyewear. See the pic below for an example. Notice the bridge and temples mount to the lens directly. The lens is drilled, and the pieces are then attached (each manufacturer uses different techniques, but the idea is the same)

1612.jpg

hlkeyl said:
I would actually like to try to re-use my old frames if possible. They were a bit mangled in a recent bike accident. I'm assuming a professional could restraighten them.

I do this daily. Shouldn't be a problem unless they are real bad.

hlkeyl said:
Last question: you mention several glasses, one for indoors, one for driving, and one for sun. This is actually what I'm trying to avoid. I would like to have one pair that does it all, hence the photochromic. Is this possible or a pipe dream?

It's a pipe dream I guess. You can use a steak knife to peel, pare, slice, chop, etc, but really the best results come from using tools designed for each specific task. A Ford Taurus will turn corners, accelerate, brake, and haul stuff, but wouldn't you rather have a sports car and a family vehicle?

You can use transition lenses in this manner, since that is what they were designed for, and you will have decent results. And you can have AR and hardcoats done to them, but for best results I reccommend using specific optical tool for specific needs, but I'm kinda picky given the business I'm in (I own 5 pairs of glasses, and I don't have anything perscription... :p).

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

here is a link or two to some Instashades info:

http://www.2020mag.com/index.asp?page=3_403.htm

http://www.langeeyecare.com/kodak_instahades_main.htm

http://www.essilorusa.com/press/details.asp?editID=386

poet_x said:
A Ford Taurus will turn corners, accelerate, brake, and haul stuff, but wouldn't you rather have a sports car and a family vehicle?

Great analogy, I had to chuckle! I will definitely check out the instashades. One last question, should I also go for the anti-glare coating as well as the hard coating? Is it possible to put too much stuff on the lenses?

Thx, you've been a big help.

hlweyl said:
Great analogy, I had to chuckle! I will definitely check out the instashades. One last question, should I also go for the anti-glare coating as well as the hard coating? Is it possible to put too much stuff on the lenses?

Thx, you've been a big help.

Many of top coating (Alize, Crizal, Carat) all have the hard coat built it.

It's difficult to put too many things on a lens...

Back