Anyone seen this car?

[EDIT: I bought this car, see my post below for details.]

I've been thinking about driving down to California to take a look at this one, but I took a closer look at the photo and saw the hood isn't closed right. I'm sure they're going to tell me it shuts correctly when I call in the morning, regardless of whether or not it does, so I was wondering if anyone here used to own this car or has test-driven it.

(Edit: Removed identifiable info so nobody can use it in an eBay scam)

I ran the VIN through carfax and it looked okay as far as that went.

Here's the picture...

25571793.jpg

(Try this if it won't load inline: images.cobaltgroup.com/3/9/7/25571793.jpg )

Any feedback is appreciated...

[This message has been edited by Aiken Drum (edited 01 January 2003).]

Last edited:
The hood looks like the latch is popped, but it's odd to take a picture that way.

What's the white stuff under the side marker light (front drivers side) right in front of the wheel? It looks like tape or something. That is pretty odd too.

Aiken Drum..i drove it a few weeks ago-it drives good. however, the whole car vibrates quite a bit when i started the engine...and very loud fan noise comes from the front of the car...that i feel is not normal. i see that there are a couple of things there were replaced that i wasn't told about. front under car molding and something under the seat...don't remember. i am NOT saying anything bad about it...but have some one look at the front of the car real close.....andddd a few scratches here and there..

I was there last week and took a quick peek just around the outside of the car. Paint condition looked good, the driver's seat looks a bit worn on the outside edge from peeking into the window, which the picture above would show if camera just move another 3 inches to the right.
smile.gif
hmmmm....,

They parked the car outside along with another 99 yellow, which I would've prefer indoor care.

[This message has been edited by SilverOne (edited 17 December 2002).]

Originally posted by SilverOne:
I was there last week and took a quick peek just around the outside of the car. Paint condition looked good,

I took a look at this car before Thanksgiving. It was certainly a daily driver and it shows! Almost all the lettering on the radio and climate controls is worn off. The front bumper cover has been reapinted (on the car) and looks like it was done with a can of Krylon!

When I drove it the clutch was gone, but at the time they told me they would replace it if I was willing to pay the asking price of $39,995.

The 90K service had not been done and the car did exhibit some vibration when driven, but that was probably just a result of 20% remaining treadlife.

I must say that the salesperson (Gal) was great with no pressure. So if you're anywhere close you might want to go by and take a spin!

[This message has been edited by Paul65K (edited 17 December 2002).]

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I did find another photo of the same car (well, it had the same Tustin Acura stock number) with the hood properly closed. EDIT: Hmm, it has different rims though, so either they swapped them out or it's not the same car.

I'm not surprised at the wear and tear you report, it does have 80k miles after all. That's fine with me. I don't mind worn interiors/knobs and rock chips, and the only performance I'm going to ask of the car is to get me to work.
wink.gif
I'll see if I can get a slightly lower price if the front end paint job looks bad.

Does California have laws about reporting accidents to the buyer? Lemon laws, that sort of thing. I know Washington does. I called Tustin Acura today and asked about accidents, and was told the vehicle had not been in any. Then again, the guy also told me it hadn't ever been repainted and had new tires. :b

Anyway, we're gonna go down after Christmas and take a look, assuming it's still there.

[This message has been edited by Aiken Drum (edited 18 December 2002).]

FYI, I did go down to California and ended up buying this car.

Details:

- The clutch is fine. Perhaps the poster above tried the other black NSX I gather they had, perhaps they fixed it since, or perhaps I'm just not picky enough. Works fine for me and my wife, anyway.

- The nose paint job was as described above, with easily visible orange-peeling and a scrape where someone obviously put the Acura emblem on too soon and in the wrong spot. I got $500 off to pay for getting it repainted.

- The worn buttons inside were only just a couple on the stereo and actually appeared to have been dinged repeatedly by a ring or something, not worn down. No big deal to me.

- The hood is fine and meets the other panels properly. Must have simply been unlatched in the photo.

- Not sure what the white stuff was, perhaps some leftover masking from the nose repaint job?

- The car's steering is slightly misaligned and pulls a little to the right at high speed. Not bad, tolerable 'til I can get it aligned. Someone probably hit a curb.

- The leather on the seats isn't as supple as I'd expect it to be. Not a big deal, I was looking for a cheaper car and this was the sort of thing I expected to give a little on.

- Passed the FAQ checklist aside from details here.

- Got the service records, the guy brought it in often for scheduled maintenance and routinely got small problems fixed, which was reassuring.

Stuff I missed and noticed later, serves me right for being in a hurry:

- The wiper blades were total worn out crap.

- There was about a cup of wiper fluid in the car.

- Headlights weren't aligned, not far off though.

Anyway, I drove it almost all of the 1200 miles home to Seattle (yes, I learned to drive a stick en route), complete with some doofus in a Camaro wanting to race me, and I'm tickled pink to have it. I hope I get to stay happy for a while before I find out what the real reason for the good price was.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Aiken Drum (edited 01 January 2003).]

You go boy! What a way to start out the new year! Congrats, and kudos for learning to drive a manual so quickly too!

Congrats!!
Your car looks beautiful!

congrats!!i love the NSX in black,had a '92.time to get car duster to take care of that black paint!

Back