Anyone play competitive sports?(tips, hints?)

Hello- just wondering if anyone can give me some general mental tips and startegies considering competing in sports. I have a big racquetball tournament coming up and seem to be slumping a bit.

I lose to players I know I can beat, and have these mental breakdowns where I am winning big, and they a make a few good shots, and it's all downhill from there..

It's like I see myself losing the match/game/point sometimes and then I do. Bottom line: I end up "beating myself" and losing alot of matches I know I should/can win.

TIA- to any insight!

Don't ever let up even when you're winning big. Don't let your opponent turn the tide and gain confidence to get back into the game. Always remember that you play to win on each point, not play to prevent from losing. When you find yourself loosing a few straight points, take a deep breath and relax, stall the game a bit if you have to, break up the streak your opponent has just ran on you. Never panic and doubt yourself.

I play another sport very competitively and that's what I usually remind myself.

Ahh grasshopper.......you have hit the nail on the head my friend. Three words that intertwine themselves into successful mental preparation for anything are the three words you should be saying to yourself every day..........

Visualization + practice = confidence.

This formula is not finite, but those three words are all essential to produce the desired outcome.

As a pilot in pilot training, we would do something called "chair flying," where we would sit in a chair and go over the next day's flight in our minds over and over and over. We would also "cover all of the bases" by thinking of what COULD go wrong and how we would handle it. The more I would visualize the flight and "practice" how I would execute the mission, it would give me more and more confidence and the flight would usually go much better. "Practice" would also encompass things like studying aircraft systems, etc.

Preparation for an athletic event is much the same thing, except you can actually practice the event before the real thing happens. You can also study up on raquetball techniques (books, hands-on coaching, etc.) and all that stuff. Some of this may seem insignificant, but when you know that you are prepared for an event then your confidence will not let you down.

Knowing that you have done all that you can to prepare for something also lessens the pressure on you when the competition begins. From that point on, there is either win or lose. There is no "I coulda, woulda, shoulda" and second-guessing yourself before, during and after the match. This second-guessing (a by-product of lack of preparation) is the mental enemy of every competitor. The only way to get rid of it is to be prepared, and your only thoughts from that point forward will be productive and healthy.

When not on the racquetball court and your mind is free, take the time to think about the upcoming tournament. Visualize yourself winning, of course, but also visualize the mistakes you may make. Slowly pick through these mistakes and "solve" them one by one until they are all gone. From that point onward, you'll do a lot of thinking about strategies and ways that you can defeat your competition. You'll have turned your defensive mindset into an offensive one.

So, be prepared physically, and go over everything in your mind. Have this done, and you'll be the one to beat at your upcoming tournament. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Chuck

note: I am not a licensed physical trainer, coach or psychologist. However, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :p

Play within your own ability. Don't try and play beyond your potential but utilize your potential to the max.

I play golf very competitively sometimes and the most important thing in golf is to make sure that you don't play against your opponent, but rather yourself. Don't think it really applies to racquetball, but it was the best piece of advice my dad ever gave me when it came to golf (besides "drink beer on the back to increase your awareness or lack of when you screw up!")

Thanks for the great advice everyone, I've been playing competitive team & individual sports all my life, and sometimes need a good pick me up in slacking times..

Tonight is the final round robin to determine seeds going into next week- I'm now looking forward to it!

I'm going in seeded 6th. I could of made it up to 4 but had some bad luck, its ok, I shouldnt even be worrying about what seed I am or who I'm playing first round. =)

Back