Anyone know this car in St. Louis?

I originally posted this in the New/Prospective owners section and it was suggested that I post here:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...aler_id=848490

I've been reading Prime for at least a year as I ponder my next weekend car. Previous owner of '91 Corvette and '00 Corvette - when I was younger owned a 914, 944, '69 Chevelle SS396, '73 Z28, '69 Roadrunner w/383 Magnum etc. Have always been a car guy and am now considering an NSX.

Actually considering a couple of things - Viper, 911, Cayman, C6 Vette and the NSX, with the NSX in the lead. Which gets me back to the question at hand - anyone familiar with this car?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Never dealt with the dealer before but I know they started as a run of the mill used car lot about 10 years ago and over the last couple of years have migrated to higher end used cars. I believe they buy at auction, and put them on their lot.

I have a 2000 red/tan with 12k miles and the price is in the ballpark for a decent deal if everything checks out.

They have progresses very well over the last 10 years, pretty much as CL65... has said..

They now buy at High line auctions as well as from all of the Major Dealers around here.. I don't know if that car is a Local car, as far as past ownership is concerned,
Matteni works pretty close, If you are really serious, he may stop and look, BUT HE IS A VERY BUSY PERSON, not speaking for him... Except the Busy part.:smile:
Just like any other dealer I would want a PPI, there is an Acura dealer right down/up the street from this lot.

I would be surprised if the sales people knew much about the car.. They usually have cars that appear to be very nice... Hope that at least helps..
Having said it all, I would insist on a Pre-Purchase Inspection..
JMO

Len

Yeah, I spoke with the dealership - the salesman was polite but certainly didn't strike me as knowledgeable. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the PPI at the Acura dealership, but the "war department" is having a rough time with me considering a $50K+ purchase sight unseen (can't say as I blame her).

The car was apparently certified by Acura at 18,500 miles but these guys bought it from the dealership and stated that the Acura certification can't follow from dealership to dealership?

Kinda interested...

I talked to the tech at Acura of Springfield, Springfield, MO. Said it checked out nice when they certified it and put it on their lot. It was a lease return, Carfax shows it being registered in Irving, TX. You might call Acura of Sprinfield and check it out for yourself.

I echo the advice for a PPI. I bought both my NXS's from the dealership immediately up the street from this lot you are speaking of and recommend them highly. Simply call the lot and schedule a test drive... then schedule an appt at Mungenast Acura. Take the car there and have it looked into. The lot that has the car seems to always have nice high end cars... but you can never be too careful. That's my two cents worth - good luck. I hope you find what your looking for.

BigBull

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. BigBull - I'd love to schedule a drive but I'm in SoCal, so that'd be tricky. This would be my first site unseen purchase.

I'm remaining optomistic...

Just saw this thread. I can walk there during a lunch hour (work right across the street).

Only problem is I am out till next Tuesday.

It has been there a pretty long time (for them anyway) and I bet they will have it on Ebay before the end of September if not sooner. This is not the kind of car they want on their lot over the winter.

I do know this - they are studs apparently at the wholesale auctions and have built up quite a business. They usually don't deal much off of asking price but seem to price them pretty close to market right off the bat. I can't speak for their post sale support. It is probably the kind of place you want to deal cash in hand with and have your financing, extended warranty, and trades dealt with separately IMO.

Please let me know if you need help and are serious and I can walk over Tuesday and check it out for you. If you are already in a dialogue with them you can setup a test drive for me as well if you would like.

I'm going to run by and check it out at lunch-time tomorrow.

i know the lot and the owner. He's had the car for some time and has tried to sell it at the local dealer auction here, but high end cars are not running out the door in st.louis. Nice car, but not sure of it's history, meaning i haven't run a carfax. Any stand up dealer should be able to assist you in a PPI from the dealer (http://www.stlouisacura.com) up the street. PPI's run from $75 to $175, depending on the dealership. I've seen the car in person and it was clean IMO, but i didn't go over it with a white glove. If you're serious do a PPI at the dealer ship above, shouldn't be a problem for them to take it down the street. Good Luck.

I actually looked at this car several months ago when I was seriously looking to buy. Nothing has worked out since, I probably would have made a move on this car if I was sold on having the black interior.

When I was looking, they were asking around $56K. Salesguy offered it to me for $53K that day. They left the sticker at $56K for a while, but it looks like they have recently wised up and lowered the asking price. Based on comparable prices I've seen on here, I think the car should sell for around $50-51K at most.

As for the car, this was the first one I had ever test-driven, so it's hard for me to comment. The car seemed to drive just fine, though. As for the exterior, there were a few chips and other minor scuffs (hard to describe and can't really remember). I was actually a bit disappointed, as I was expecting a perfect car and this was probably more like near-perfect. My expectations might have been too high, considering the car had 19K miles on it. The spare tire wasn't bolted down (I think it's supposed to be??) which concerned me a bit, plus the salesguy didn't know how to shut the trunk (he tried slamming it a couple of times while I cringed before I showed him how to shut it).

Overall, I would say their asking price is still a bit high, but if you can get this car at a good price, it seems like a very nice car. The car has been sitting there for a LONG time, so I would expect you could possibly negotiate a better price than what they're asking.

Again, just want to say thanks to all for the comments, but especially to Gene (KGP) who not only took the time out of his schedule to check the car over for me, but generated a very detailed report along with numerous high-res photos showing all of the minor issues on this car. Gene obviously is a huge asset to this community.

I'm probably going to make an offer on the car today that will reflect the longevity of their ownership - contingent on the PPI - and see where we go. It seems like everyone has indicated that it's a very nice car, but I haven't heard "lust" in any of the discussions - kind of an intangible variable, but I see how you guys talk about your cars. Perhaps if I land this car, with the required TLC (though minimal), next time you hear from me you will hear "lust" in my posts.

Any updates on this car? I noticed it's still for sale on Autotrader. Plus, I think I actually saw someone driving this car (I think the dealer plates were still on) on Brentwood this afternoon.

95NSXT said:
called the dealer today, they said it sold last week.

Thanks for the response. I found the same thing out myself this past week:frown:

If I had just made up my mind on this car about 2-3 months ago, I'd probably be driving it right now!!!!!!:mad:

Oh well, I'll just start my search up again next year. Just too bad, since this car was within 10 miles of my house - looks like I'll probably be making a 500+ mile trek next year to find the right one.

Back