Anyone know someone at Acura? Need help...

When I did mine, I just called 800-382-2238 (which is the contact number on the RIV site) and the letter just arrived .. but mine wasn't a salvage title. I just read the letter and it basically just makes two points (1) that it met safety guidelines when it was manufactured, and (2) that it was up to date on recalls. So I can understand that they'd probably add (3) "has salvage title so may not meet current safety requirements". But isn't that what the purpose of a provincial inspection is for .. to make sure that a car coming in from anywhere (another province or the US) is able to be 'safetied'?

Dumb question, can you get a recall clearance letter from Canada, since I think the same recalls apply to both US+Canada? Or is the letter specific to a VIN?

I remember I had to get one from mitsubishi USA when I imported my wife's Eclipse several years back, but at the time there was no mitshubishi in Canada, and I don't really remember what the letter said other than the list of recalls that Mitsu had issued on that vehicle.

I have a friend who owns an Acura dealership here in Toronto, and if it's something that can be done locally, I can give him a ring and see if he can pull some strings.

Arshad said:
Dumb question, can you get a recall clearance letter from Canada, since I think the same recalls apply to both US+Canada? Or is the letter specific to a VIN?

I remember I had to get one from mitsubishi USA when I imported my wife's Eclipse several years back, but at the time there was no mitshubishi in Canada, and I don't really remember what the letter said other than the list of recalls that Mitsu had issued on that vehicle.

I have a friend who owns an Acura dealership here in Toronto, and if it's something that can be done locally, I can give him a ring and see if he can pull some strings.

When I called Acura Canada they said I had to call Acura USA because yeah they are VIN specific. I don't think it can be handled here. Grrr this is pissing me off! I think I will have to find a suitable project car locally but that will be pretty much impossible...I don't care to pay full price for a car I'm going to pull apart! :p

NSX2398 said:
When I did mine, I just called 800-382-2238 (which is the contact number on the RIV site) and the letter just arrived .. but mine wasn't a salvage title. I just read the letter and it basically just makes two points (1) that it met safety guidelines when it was manufactured, and (2) that it was up to date on recalls. So I can understand that they'd probably add (3) "has salvage title so may not meet current safety requirements". But isn't that what the purpose of a provincial inspection is for .. to make sure that a car coming in from anywhere (another province or the US) is able to be 'safetied'?

What information did you have to provide? They wanted a US driver's license the title and proof of insurance...hmm maybe I called the wrong number. This is maddening

edit: when you bought the car did you register it in the States and bring it over or did you go to the border with the old onwership just signed over to you?

Last edited:
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!

I called in again...they must not have connected database systems...so they aren't tracking the old calls. BOoyaaa grandma looks like I'm good to go

:D :D :D Project NSX back on track

satan_srv said:
What information did you have to provide? They wanted a US driver's license the title and proof of insurance...hmm maybe I called the wrong number. This is maddening

edit: when you bought the car did you register it in the States and bring it over or did you go to the border with the old onwership just signed over to you?

All I gave them was the VIN .. and they mailed me the letter. My recollection is that on the way back, the guys on the US side just wanted a 'heads up' that I was coming through. The guys on the Canadian side only wanted to see the proof of ownership and bill of sale (so they knew what value to charge GST/PST and Duty on). I don't recall them even asking for the Acura clearance letter at the border but you do need it as part of the paperwork process later when you register the vehicle with RIV.

Back