Anyone here considering the new GTR?

Man, I think this car is hot! I can't wait to see the camo come off. Anyone here considering it?

Thought about it, but all performance numbers aside, the looks just dont do it for me. The feeling was the same with the R-34's, awesome car, but not for me. Id sooner hold out for the Lexus LF-A, or dream about the next gen NSX, whatever/whenever that may be.

I really like the looks of it. It looks real aggressive to me and I like that! Just wish I knew the pricing of it.

I really like the looks of it. It looks real aggressive to me and I like that! Just wish I knew the pricing of it.

I have this feeling it will be a $65k - $75k, at which point I would not be even slightly interested, and I suspect that is also the point at which a lot of 'buyers' will be selling their spaces in line, or outright getting their deposits back. The car seem like it would be a runaway hit in the $45k - $55k segment though.

By the way...this should probably be moved to 'Off Topic' since there is not really any NSX content.

My prediction about the GTR is the car will be as common as a G35 on the road since everyone is going to want one and have been saving up for that very moment the car arrives. The Nissan dealership will be sold out of GTR's in the beginning and they will start charging way over the MSRP for those who want one. The bottom line is that these cars will be common cars on the roads.

I know it's a huge step above the 350z/G35, but when I look at pics I can't help but think 'G35 with a bodykit and twin turbos for double the price - yeah!'

R34 all the way!

I'll take a honda over a nissan any day, but I think the gtr is the most promising sports car at it's projected 70k price range. The nissan guys are using a 911turbo as a track companion. At about half the price it's quite the bargain, eh? Reporters at Nurburgring timed it at 7:38

a>

a>

Last edited:
Having been an Nissan Z owner for the past 12 years, I don't like the GTR at all. Not even for the price of a Z. It doesn't do anything for me. Sorry!:frown:

Not worth the money. It will be just like when the new 350z's was first introduced in 2003. Now, there a dime a dozen. Don't care for the 350z either.
You can rent them at Hertz rental car.

So does everyone else on the waiting list.

one of my friend work in nissan dealer. He said that it may come out next summer but the price for GTR maybe around 70K-80K. Also, he told me that one of the guy walked in and order one but my friend told me that it will mark up arund 20k....:eek: .....100k for GTR........LOL..........

Not me. I'll reserve final judgement until I see one in person but I don't like the pictures that I've seen so far.

I also just read on InsideLine that at least the first batch will all be electronic clutch/quasi automatics. I know I'm in the minority here but I'm yet to drive a SMG, DSG, F-1 or other floppy paddle gearbox that I like. Call me old school, I don't care how much quicker I could be around the 'Ring... I like using the clutch pedal myself.

That car is dope. I love the mean g35 coupe, if this is a better one then it's got my vote. Man i hope it comes to the states like that, it's rare to get 500ps off the shelf imports afaik. a bit pricey, i hope it has am/fm cassette.

I'm definitely gonna look into one. I just pray I can get one at msrp (I can dream, right?):)

Pricing just announced. $67K-$72K

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/09/nissan_launches_official_gtr_g.html

The disturbing news is "There is no Manual transmission option". Let's hope that part is incorrect.

It's on my wish list for sure (assuming a manual will be available). The hard part is deciding what has to go to make room for it. Guess I have about a year to think about it.

You can't ignore the value. Several years back I thought you simply will not and can not beat the c5z06. Now we have a 500hp z06 and the base model skyline has awd and 480hp. You can hate the looks, but the rest is undeniable to me. I couldn't have expected anything more from Nissan. These will be the first 600hp japanese supercars for about 2 grand in mods not unlike the 90's turbo supercars that could get near 400hp for 2 grand in mods. Nissan has once again stepped up to the plate while everyone else stands around in fear. Like the early 90's revolution, I think they will be rewarded handsomely for it as well. Nissan sold more 300zx's than FD's, Supras, and NSX's put together and then some.

My prediction about the GTR is the car will be as common as a G35 on the road since everyone is going to want one and have been saving up for that very moment the car arrives. The Nissan dealership will be sold out of GTR's in the beginning and they will start charging way over the MSRP for those who want one. The bottom line is that these cars will be common cars on the roads.

I don't think that will be the case. How many Z06's do you see? Yeah, they're out there, but not everyday. (at least where I live...Cali is probably a lot different!)

The 70k price tag will ensure they're not parked on every corner. Nissan also isn't making THAT many of them, especially the first year. (from what I heard, only 4-5 US states are getting the first batch this spring)

As far as the manual transmission, the first year (or two?) is going to be paddle shifter only....but the rumor is that nissan is working on a manual....as well as other models (v-spec, etc)

AWD and a twin turbo 6cyl. Honestly, it's very tempting...I love my NSX (and my S4) but it would be nice to have a new car with up to date technology...instead of me having to add piece by piece with after market. On the flip side it's nice to have a rare car that still gets looks, drives like a dream and I know will always hold its value.

I don't think that will be the case. How many Z06's do you see? Yeah, they're out there, but not everyday. (at least where I live...Cali is probably a lot different!)

The 70k price tag will ensure they're not parked on every corner. Nissan also isn't making THAT many of them, especially the first year. (from what I heard, only 4-5 US states are getting the first batch this spring)

As far as the manual transmission, the first year (or two?) is going to be paddle shifter only....but the rumor is that nissan is working on a manual....as well as other models (v-spec, etc)

AWD and a twin turbo 6cyl. Honestly, it's very tempting...I love my NSX (and my S4) but it would be nice to have a new car with up to date technology...instead of me having to add piece by piece with after market. On the flip side it's nice to have a rare car that still gets looks, drives like a dream and I know will always hold its value.

I still believe my prediction is very logical. You must consider the anticipation of how many people who wanted the Skyline here in the U.S. since the first GTR 32 came into production. Plus the GTR isn't going to be a car like the z06 is. It is normal for a car manufacture to not produce many cars in the beginning however this is because they are trying to see how well it sells. Once example of this was when the 2006 Civic Si came into the states and it was sold so quickly that dealerships even marked their price $10,000 over the MSRP if you wanted one since many were on back order. Forward a year later, I guarantee you can find these same exact Civic Si's at any Honda dealership right now. The new z06 has been produced in limited quantity so far and isn't going to be massively produced like the GTR which IMO will be produced as much as a G35.This is because they are just 2 different cars. The GTR to some will be a sports car that can be used in everyday driving where the z06 depending on where you live cannot. Also many would agree that the GTR is more practical for everyday use for a family as well as more practical if this were to be the one and only car someone bought. As for the 70k price tag, I'm sure you've seen S class Mercedes as well as BMW 7 series parked all over the place. As a matter of fact they are well over 70k. 70k is about the right price if you ask me since it is a price where it in between being massively expensive and reasonable. The price can attract the right demographics this car is targeting which IMO are the youthful enthusiasts who have the money to spend as well as older established people who always wanted a Skyline when they were younger. But i'm sticking to my theory that this car will be as common as G35's. By the way I can almost guarantee you that the owners of the new GTR will still give NSX's stares.

Cheers
-Rob

The car doesn’t do much for me in the looks department but the performance is very impressive. Personally, I hope the price is well north of $70K to help keep it out of the hands of these punk ricer kids who think they are professional race car drivers. That much power and performance could definitely get a young inexperienced driver into some serious trouble!

Personally, I hope the price is well north of $70K to help keep it out of the hands of these punk ricer kids who think they are professional race car drivers. That much power and performance could definitely get a young inexperienced driver into some serious trouble!

I think that's pretty much a guarantee. One other thing I can guarantee is that GTR conversion body kit sales are going to skyrocket!

I still believe my prediction is very logical. You must consider the anticipation of how many people who wanted the Skyline here in the U.S. since the first GTR 32 came into production. Plus the GTR isn't going to be a car like the z06 is. It is normal for a car manufacture to not produce many cars in the beginning however this is because they are trying to see how well it sells. Once example of this was when the 2006 Civic Si came into the states and it was sold so quickly that dealerships even marked their price $10,000 over the MSRP if you wanted one since many were on back order. Forward a year later, I guarantee you can find these same exact Civic Si's at any Honda dealership right now. The new z06 has been produced in limited quantity so far and isn't going to be massively produced like the GTR which IMO will be produced as much as a G35.This is because they are just 2 different cars. The GTR to some will be a sports car that can be used in everyday driving where the z06 depending on where you live cannot. Also many would agree that the GTR is more practical for everyday use for a family as well as more practical if this were to be the one and only car someone bought. As for the 70k price tag, I'm sure you've seen S class Mercedes as well as BMW 7 series parked all over the place. As a matter of fact they are well over 70k. 70k is about the right price if you ask me since it is a price where it in between being massively expensive and reasonable. The price can attract the right demographics this car is targeting which IMO are the youthful enthusiasts who have the money to spend as well as older established people who always wanted a Skyline when they were younger. But i'm sticking to my theory that this car will be as common as G35's. By the way I can almost guarantee you that the owners of the new GTR will still give NSX's stares.

Cheers
-Rob

I have to disagree with you as well. It's simple economics. The number who people who can afford a 70K is much less than the number who can afford a 35K G35. I know plenty of G35 drivers who can only dream about buying a 70k car.

Your argument about the S class doesn't work because they are mostly driven by older people with money. They are not likely to buy the GTR car over an S or 7 series. Sure, there will be a small number who will, but not enough to make it nearly as common as the G35. Well, no need to argue about it further. We'll find out in due time.

Well, lets determine something when it comes to economics. Supply and demand curve, you claim that older people won't choose a GTR over an S or 7 series, well we don't know that yet which is the reason why Nissan is only going to send small batches of GTR's around the nation. We know that the supply will be scarce in the beginning however the demand for this car has been high ever since the GTR-32 came in Japan therefore in economics the demand for the product affects the amount that someone is willing to pay for it. Every tuner lover wanted the Skyline to come to the U.S. and I truely believe that many are eagerly awaiting its arrival. It is true that there are less people who will be able to afford 70k cars however there are just as many who can afford them as well including young people. However my whole point of specifying the S class and the 7 series is to show you that these cars are seen alot regardless of their price. Ok if you want to assume that kids (18-21 years old) won't buy it because of the cost then fine. However what about those older people who do spend the 100k on cars or those young people who have the money? They can't be excluded out of the picture entirely. I'm sure you are aware of showcars in the import racing scene. How much money have these so called youngsters spent on their souped up civic to make them show cars? Sometimes over 70k for their own bragging rights and these people are by no means older necessarily. Maybe the S class thing is a bit off but it was to illustrate a point that we do see cars that are well over 70k daily. Even now I see Bentley Continentals driven around by younger people around their early 30's but so what? Point being is, the GTR is going to be a hot seller. If you seriously think that your not gonna see alot on the streets, well its all speculative either way. This is just the way I view it. 2008 is the pinnacle year when it comes to new cars.

Last edited:
No way. They've been selling about 40 thousand G35s a year in the US since they came out. The GTR isn't coming close to that

Are we all on the same page that a G35 is a Skyline? In Japan they're known as the Skyline G350. I'm not gonna say that they will equal the same amounts but they will be commonly seen once sales start picking up.

only 1500 nissans will be made the first year. I am thinking around 1-2 to certain dealerships. My boss said he is going to drive it for a while and then sell it. If I can I will buy it, but I don't know at what cost yet.

Back