anyone have a taitec gt lightwt sound clip?

i have found several sound clips of the jgtc exhaust, but i am having trouble finding one of the gt lightweight. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

rk

p.s. does anyone in the atlanta area have either of these exhausts on their car?

Just fitted one to my car. I can make up a clip when I get home from work tonight...working the weekend again and no time for the NSX :(

Overall I like it. It has very nice deep tone and a nice bark on throttle blip. Drone is not much of an issue cruising at minimal throttle at about 60-70 mph, but if you are on an incline and are trying to maintain a contant velocity with extra throttle in cruising gear at speeds around 50 mph, there can be a loud drone. But lift off the throttle and the exhaust quietens a lot. Sounds very nice at WOT.

You did not ask for a review, but I gave you one anyway ;)

What you won't find is a sound clip of it resonating between 1700-2500 RPM.

thanks guys.

netviper i don't know you personally, so i can't tell for sure from your post whether you are stating fact or being facetious. all input is encouraged.

rk

rk-nsx said:
thanks guys.

netviper i don't know you personally, so i can't tell for sure from your post whether you are stating fact or being facetious. all input is encouraged.

rk

No, it is a fact. I am told it gets better over time but I sold mine in 2 weeks as it was giving me a headache daily. Some people may not mind it. It was not the right exhaust for me.

It's not exactly a mic at the exhaust tip but it'll give you some idea. Pay no attention to NetViper. ;)

GT Lightweight

I should mention that the exhaust system consists of Comptech Headers, Straight Pipes, and a GT Lightweight Exhaust (Thanks Chris!) Oh, and pay no attention to NetViper. :D

Ponyboy said:
Oh, and pay no attention to NetViper. :D

The exhaust has great noise above 5000RPM. It is in the RPM range that I mentioned that the problem lies.

It is a lot of money to spend to be unhappy. Your choice. I would recommend meeting someone with one and driving around town for 20 minutes. Lots of stop and go. You'll see. I am just telling you things that I wish someone told me before I bought it.

Definintely atypical results from what we hear as feedback in general. However, exhaust notes preferences are definitely personal. Personally, I think it is one of my favorite three NSX notes. Definitely a good choice to sample before buying.

PonyBoy... Awesome driving! NSX in it's element.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Vip, I'm just messing with you and your dislike for anything a hint uncomfortable. :p I think you made a good choice with the Anytime exhaust! Different strokes for different folks. But I reserve the right to make fun of you at any time.

FWIW rk, I'm trying to dig up some old vid of a dyno run for your review.

Chris, thanks! I wasn't even pushing it. ;) That brake chirp you hear are the S0-3's locking up as soon as I get on the brakes. Scarey! But it sounds great and everyone who drove it was very impressed with the engine upgrades. Thanks for the NA Stage 1 package. That 3.3L IDB engine is looking mighty tempting. Hey, have fun at XPO!

Ponyboy said:
Vip, I'm just messing with you and your dislike for anything a hint uncomfortable. :p I think you made a good choice with the Anytime exhaust! Different strokes for different folks. But I reserve the right to make fun of you at any time.

I know that shawn... duh.. but nonetheless, that exhaust is more than a slight bit of uncomfortable. My friend here got one too and his wife HATED it. We went for a drive and it made the same noise as mine. He is getting a new exhaust also.

It is a shame that the Competition GT, aka the big brother of the GT Lightweight, is no longer brought in to NA. It has the same great sound as the Lightweight, although not as loud (but still loud enough), but none of the annoying noise (at least to my ears) of which NetViper complains the Lightweight has. I have not pestered Chris to ask him why, but if he has subscribed to this thread, I would be interested to know if it was discontinued or simply no longer imported.

what are you looking for in an exhaust?

in the two month i had my nsx, i have gone through 3 exhaust systems and I think i have finally found the one for me!

GT lightweight - Good quaility exhaust, love the weight savings, maybe 30% louder than stock, but I found it to be wayyyy to quiet for a car like the nsx. To gain more volume I removed my cats and ran this exhaust w/ a test pipe for a while.

GT lightweight w/ test pipes would be on a volume of 10 (1-10 scale)
GT lightweight w/ cats would be on a volume of 3

B&B Triflow - Some fitment issues, which B&B is still workign with me on, I think the tips looks real nice and this exhuast is DEEP!!!! Sound great, but not enough volume up in the higher RPMs, rating of a 5.

JGCT exhaust - WOW!!!!!!!!!! Finally, almost what i am looking for, pretty deep down low, thou not B&B like, but produces a sweet note through out the entire RPM range. My exhaust also came w/ the Silencers which i have not tried yet. But I would rate the volume of this exhaust at a 7.5. I am acutally looking to put back on the test pipes again, and running it w/ the silencers for everyday, and removing it for the days running w/ the ferrari guys!

THat's my .02 cents :)

very simply i realize that simply by "discussing" exhausts it is very difficult to get a good feeling about how they truely sound. my car is a 2002 and is not used as a daily driver.

imo
1. the stock exhaust on the nsx is ridiculously quiet
2. the nsx is a high reving 6 not an 8 so its exhaust should scream a bit rather than be deep and low
3. you should be able to drive "slowly" into your neighborhood at night w/o waking your neighbors
4. not even a hint of the "fart cannister" sound (i'm sorry i couldn't think of a more eloquent way to say this)

my personal reference points:
1. bmw m3 bb exhaust with intake (was driven daily definately not too loud for me)
2. supra turbo hks exhaust and intake (also not too loud at all)
3. various sport bikes with different race exhausts (am i assuming correctly that even the jgtc with headers would not be this loud?)

at this point if i can't find one to hear in person i will probably start off with the jgtc.

as an aside i am a new owner and could not be happier with the car. also, i am continually amazed by how friendly and helpful others have been concerning my requests. as my trials and tribulations of modding commence i hope to be able to pass on my new found knowledge and experience as well.

thank you everyone once again,

rk

I'vr had the GT Lightweight on my car for several months now. It does take a couple of thousand miles for it to "break in". It is very loud when brand new but once broken in the sound is great at all engine speeds. The weight savings over the stock exhaust not to mention other aftermarket exhausts was high on my priority list when buying it.

The reality of the situation is that any aftermarket exhaust is going to be louder than stock. You really can't tell what they sound like from listening to lame little media files anyway. They all sound pretty good so get the one that offers all the best features for the best price. That's why I bought the GT Lightweight. I have better things to do than worry if my exhaust note has the "ideal" sound, I spent way too much money on the car's sound system. :)

Hugh said:
I have better things to do than worry if my exhaust note has the "ideal" sound, I spent way too much money on the car's sound system. :)

I thought the same until I heard a Ferrari 355 with a Tubi exhaust. Liz Hurley whispering sweet nothings to me wouldn't have elicited the reaction as did the 355 with Tubi sound.

FWIW, I have the name of a Japanese company that advertises an exhaust with a "F1 Sound" sort of name. I'll dig it up and post the URL tonight.

Last edited:
Here's the "F1 sound" exhaust I mentioned:

img069.jpg

And the link:

http://www.gt-rom.net/gtrom/index.htm

Looks like there's Real Network video clips of an NSX with that exhaust. Not too shabby. Perhaps one of the vendors could bring it over? Looks like there's a bunch of exhausts in Japan that still have yet to be available for sale here in the US.

Any updated sound clips on this? I am looking at the JGTC Ultralightweight and the GT Lightweight and would like to get a handle on the sound differences. From what I understand, the GT Lightweight is actually more quiet than the JGTC.

i went ahead with the jgtc with sos headers and could not be happier with the sound. from what i hear the jgtc is definitely louder and higher pitched. i know that there are clips of both floating around prime.

I have the GTLW with Comptech headers. The sound and performance are outstanding. No drone at all. Besides, I can't see how someone would be driving at 2000 RPM for any length of time. That is a pass-through region.

Back