Anyone from the SF Bay Area know of this previously owned red 92?

It's a red 1992 NSX for sale locally that I went to look at the other day. It seems like it's in pretty decent shape, clean carfax, etc. The dealer had it checked out at Niello Acura before he bought it from the previous owner and it checked out okay. The car itself has 18/17 Technomagnesio rims, Eibach springs, RM racing exhaust, chip, air intake, 4.55 gear set and tranny work done at Comptech, Comptech spark plug cover, steel braided lines, as well as a slew of other aftermarket goodies. I inspected the body and paint for a good half an hour and the front bumper had cracks in the paint and seemed to start fading a bit. It will need a repaint. The rear bumper itself on the driver's side has a crack and will need to be replaced and repainted. On the rear upper fenders at the near corner of the taillights, the previous owner had someone brush a small 3" "NSX" logo in cursive on both sides.

The seller had a stack of service records in a folder which I skimmed through. The 4.55 gear set and trans work was done at Comptech. I was wondering if changing out all the gears, they would've of considered taking care of the snap ring if this particular transmission was in the range. I'll have to get the trans number to be sure it's not anyways. Well skimming through the paper work, the water pump was changed in 99, and he had regular service on the car, and then I came upon a body shop receipt. Almost close to $1700 worth of work, it mentioned that they had refinished the rear quarter panels, front and rear bumpers. I became weary when I came upon the body shop receipt but since it didn't go into much detail about whether the car was in an accident, I figured $1700 isn't much work at a body shop instead of maybe just some touchup.

Well after that, we took her out for a test drive. Motor sounds healthy, pick up is nice, clutch is a bit stiff, stiffer than stock which leads me to believe aftermarket unit in there. They must of put in a perf. clutch kit when they did the tranny work. Runs well, car pulls to the right oh so very slightly though. Seller told me that the Niello service rep said the frame and body checked out and said no previous accidents. Question, how would a tech check out a frame to see if it hasn't been altered or hasn't been in an accident before?

Overall, I think if I consider purchasing this 92, I would have the seller replace the rear bumper, refinish and repaint the front bumper, replace the lower plastic molding of the windshield (it's obvious it was changed out before).

Most importantly, I also looked at the owner's name on the service receipts but for obvious reasons do not want to divulge their names here without their permission. If anyone here is a previous owner of this car, please email me privately if possible so I can discuss the history of the car. I noticed one of the owners lived in San Ramon and the other in Sacramento. If anyone has any info or has seen this car before, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

[This message has been edited by 93B18 (edited 08 February 2003).]

Back