Anyone considering the Lotus Elise?

As some of you may know, Lotus is finally bringing the much coveted Elise to the U.S. as a 2005 model sometime around May of 2004. I have loved this car through the likes of mags like EVO and Car for years.

Yesterday, I put my deposit down on one at the dealer in Manhattan (I am number 15 on the list). Although final specs are still to be formally anounced, it looks pretty likely that Lotus will be using the Toyota Celica GT-S engine/tranny tweaked to about 190-200 hp. The car will weigh in at less than 2000 lbs and Lotus has promised sub-five second 0-60 times. This mid-engined beauty will be in my garage (as long as the specs hold out as I do not want the Rover engine with all the problems).

In any case, I was wondering if any of you were also considering trading or selling the NSX for the Lotus.

BTW, my deposit is for MSRP (expected to be about $39k) and is fully refundable.

FYI - The dealer in Atlanta actually has an Elise 111S to give test drives and take advance deposits.

Production is going to be limited to about 2000 cars annually but there are only about 24 dealers in the Country.

What do you guys think?

This is the wrong forum to put this topic in, should be in: Car Comparison/Prospective Owner.

No, I won't trade the NSX for the Elise. I will miss the reliability and the beautiful body work too much.

Here they are quite common, in the summer you meet 2-3 per day. Normal version is with the 140ps engine and the sub 2000 lbs. Very fast car on the mountains, turns half so many heads than the NSX, very spartan interior, no confort, ... very small cockpit, not be used every day, ... it would be a nice addition to the NSX but definitely not a real substitute.

Anyway I would buy a Caterham or a DAX for the same price if I were into not-practical cars. They drive circles around the Elise and they are not a lot less confortable...

A friend bought a DAX RUSH with a 400ps Cosworth engine and 4WD, sub 4 sec 0-100 kmh :eek:, throws flames out of the exhaust every gear change (you have to see it in a tunnel!) and definitely blows away my other friend's Porsche GT2!

All this for less than 40k$!!!!

:D

This is the car, built by Duncan, a very known builder in the UK!

finished.jpg

Z0650TH said:
I put my deposit down on one at the dealer in Manhattan (I am number 15 on the list

I assume you are referring to Manhattan Motorcars. I am #8 on their list, however I'm most likely going to be getting my deposit back now that I'm getting an NSX. I'm sure performance of the 2 cars is similar, but that is where the similarities end. The NSX is a luxury car, with all the leather and power options. The Elise is rather plain on the interior and does not even have power windows or door locks.

The Elise is a great track car, but not meant to be an every day driver. I learned that a couple months ago when I sat in one at the NY Auto Show. Try getting in and out of the Elise, and then you will understand what I mean.

i've looked into the elise but found it to be a bit unrealistic for it's first year.

my friend who works at boardwalk auto in northern california gave me some info about the elise.

the cost will be close to $40k for the base model. with options and a $10k markup (ridiculous), we're talking about $55k out the door!

with the limit # of dealerships in the US, i'm surprised you're able to find one that will sell you one at msrp.

i'm sure the reliability will be better than current lotus models with the celica motor/tranny......but i'm going to wait it out....there's always room for improvement in first year models.

and no way it's going to replace the NSX.....why downgrade with more $$$

Everyone has an Elise in London, I see about 30 a day. Quite cheap second hand now, some goes for about $16K for 97 model.

I would love to have one with Integra Type R engine (B18C) in it.

I considered it when I was getting my NSX, but I already have a Type R engine conversion in my CRX, so I didn't need another 4 cylinder small sports car. Oh and my feet are not long enough, or seats don't move forward enough for me to drive the car anyway.

Quite interesting that they are going to have different engine in the US, Toyota engine would be much better than those ancient K series.

Asuka

Apples to Oranges of course

Having owned Hondas, Acuras and Lotuses my input would be that they are not in the same league. At 2000 lbs the Lotus is more tossable, but alot less dependable. I am no longer into working on my cars on the weekend. As a spare toy the Lotus would be great for some. When I get my NSX it will be my toy, and I would rather have one than another Lotus. But if you have never owned a Lotus GO FOR IT! At least test drive one. I have NEVER driven anything that handled like a Lotus.

I've driven the Elise and find it small but with AMAZING handling. I own a 2000 Lotus Esprit and I thought it was the best handling car in the world but the Elise is a beast on corners. I "might" be considering it if the engine is the "right" one. I am selling my 2000 Esprit for a 2003 NSX so I will soon witness the difference there...

If they put more than 180HP in that car..oh my god!!! The one I drove had 120HP and it MOVED! BUT..... it is small.....

Ed-

I've driven the Elise on the track. Its performance is nice - quite fun. But it is CRUDE.

If you took an NSX, and removed the stereo, and A/C, and power windows, and power locks, and carpeting, and door panels and all the other interior panels, and the sun visors, and the center console and dashboard and glove compartment, that might give you some idea of what the inside of the Elise is like.

If you want a car that you're going to use strictly for the track, there are lots of options to consider - everything from the Elise, to the Consulier, to the Diasio, to a Spec Miata or a Formula anything. That's the class that the Elise belongs in. None of these is a substitute for an NSX.

Exactely, if you are looking into track cars look again, you could find something better. The Elise is a good compromise: a track car that can drive you around when you decide to unconfortable ;).

But do not pay over 30k$ for it! It is really not worth it... first monthy hype a part! :eek:
Wait for the used one to be available!

The REAL nsxtasy said:
I've driven the Elise on the track. Its performance is nice - quite fun. But it is CRUDE.

If you took an NSX, and removed the stereo, and A/C, and power windows, and power locks, and carpeting, and door panels and all the other interior panels, and the sun visors, and the center console and dashboard and glove compartment, that might give you some idea of what the inside of the Elise is like.

and if you reverse that process, that's what the US market will get...that's why it'll weigh more.....for options such as leather seats, A/C, etc......they've made it a luxury exotic...

Hi CRX B16B VTEC

Do you have any pictures of that CRX of yours? That sounds like a fun car to drive.

Regards

Blue Knight said:
and if you reverse that process, that's what the US market will get...that's why it'll weigh more.....for options such as leather seats, A/C, etc......they've made it a luxury exotic...

add automatic transmission to that list

and add a few more lbs to the body for US crash test stds......

regardless, the elise will still look awesome.

I think the Elise is a really nice car. A true pocket rocket. It really depends on what you want. I cannot see myself owning one since I like a little more luxuries and refinement like what the NSX has. I am also a huge fan for the CRX Si DOHC which is not available here in the USA.
Steve

What I want to know more is when (if ever) they will bring over the Exige? Ive seen people import them for track cars, but I dont think its legal as a roadcar. I think it would make a sweet companion to the NSX...

i know i am considering a elise- but purely as a dedicated track car. That way i don't have to spank my nsx as much. however, $40k is truely ridiculous. i might get a caterham 7 instead.

NSXLuvr said:
i know i am considering a elise- but purely as a dedicated track car. That way i don't have to spank my nsx as much. however, $40k is truely ridiculous. i might get a caterham 7 instead.

Exactely my point in the posts above. For a track car you can buy A LOT better with the same (or less) money...

Back