Anyone at the Captree car show where the RX7 chucklehead drove into the ocean?

Anyone happen to catch this little mishap over the weekend?

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/car-lands-in-water-at-captree-car-show-1.2864041

i-qGTNbgG-X2.jpg

i-2cLL4Wd-X2.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of people talking about it that i know who go to captree.

i am thinking someone botched the drive by wire?

Was it a v8 swap car?

Since I readily admit that I have virtually no mechanical ability whatsoever (although I did change the battery on my NSX recently all by myself :biggrin:), can some one explain how even with a faulty remote starter this could have happened.

If this is an automatic, how would the car get into gear? If it is a manual, does a remote starter override the need to depress the clutch to start the car?

p.s. sorry to "cheat on you" LarryB by doing my own "repair" work.......

Since I readily admit that I have virtually no mechanical ability whatsoever (although I did change the battery on my NSX recently all by myself :biggrin:), can some one explain how even with a faulty remote starter this could have happened.

If this is an automatic, how would the car get into gear? If it is a manual, does a remote starter override the need to depress the clutch to start the car?

p.s. sorry to "cheat on you" LarryB by doing my own "repair" work.......

not sure but on one of the captree sites it was/is a manual

It was reported on the news that the car started on its own and took off with the owner chasing it, getting in it and then it accelerated again hitting some cars and motorcycles before he/it drove into water.

Even with a faulty auto start, if it is a manual why not just shift into neutral.

Curious as to what the real story will be.

From an FD forum
"The weekly informal car show at Captree State Park on Sunday provided visitors with an unexpected, and unintended, air and water show. Police are trying to determine how a car accelerated across a parking lot near the boat basin, then launched into the nearby water. The driver, who police did not identify, swam to safety, according to witnesses. "At approximately 8:30 this morning, a 30-year-old male apparently lost control of his vehicle," said Capt. Bruce Marx, of the New York State Park Police. "The vehicle crossed through the parking lot, over the grass and became submerged in a vacant slip." Marx said the driver, of West Islip, was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital with undisclosed injuries. He was the only occupant of the out-of-control car. No one else was injured. The silver, two-door Mazda RX-7 hit several motorcycles and a parked car as it quickly accelerated through the parking lot, Marx said.ohn Rodriguez, 45, of Smithtown, witnessed the accident and said the problem started when the car seemed to take off without its owner inside. He said the driver was standing with dozens of other people when the Mazda started moving. "The car just ran away from him," Rodriguez said. The car's owner then chased his car and managed to get into the vehicle. After the driver grabbed the stirring wheel, the car took off again. "It just accelerated very quickly, hit a plant, and spun," Rodriguez said. "It went airborne about 7 to 8 feet and hit the water." Rodriguez said the driver was still behind the wheel when the car started filling with water. A crowd gathered and yelled for the driver to get out, he said. "As the car started sinking, he got out," Rodriguez said. Rodriguez said the driver was lucky to not hit any poles, boats or people in the busy area. Gary Heicklen, of Douglaston, Queens, was several feet away from the accident but caught a glimpse of the 10 seconds of chaos. "I heard a noise, turned around and I saw a car in the air," said Heicklen, a salesman who declined to give his age. "The whole crowd turned around." The car remained submerged for several hours before police used a crane to remove it from the water. The vehicle sustained a broken windshield and front-end damage. State Park police detectives are continuing to investigate the cause of the accident, Marx said."

Haven't you guys watched the Terminator movie? The judgment day is comming :D.

A friend of mine was there and saw the incident, he claims the guy was in the car the entire time, I guess that there's probably 3 sides to the story. Car will be on FleaBay with a "washed title", be patient!!

yeah my neighbor was their as well and said he was in the car horsing around the entire time, SMH

hmm driver's name would'nt be ...Peter O Toole....:rolleyes:

Back