Anybody use this for your garage floor?

http://www.nonslipcoating.com

Durabak™ floor coating and industrial coating is a tough, one-part polyurethane with self-contained recycled rubber granules, which give it an attractive tough-textured appearance. When exposed to atmospheric moisture, Durabak™ undergoes a chemical curing process which changes it from a liquid to a tough polyurethane membrane. Durabak™ will chemically bond to most clean and dry surfaces. These include, but are not limited to, concrete, wood, fiberglass, metal, rubber and soundcoatinged materials. It can be applied by roller, brush or spray. Durabak™ can give a relatively smooth or rough surface, depending on application technique.

Advantages:
One-Part: No mixing of components
Totally Flexible: Never chips, flakes or peels
Repairable: Bonds to itself
Protection: Waterproof, Resistant to acid, chemicals, UV exposure, salt water
Fast Drying: Very short intercoat time; Foot traffic in 6 to 12 hours
Economical: Lasts for years; no need to remove old Durabak™ when recoating

I tried to locate a local dealer for RBRubber's Tenderfoot horse stall mats as discussed in this thread, but there is no Tractor Supply (or any dealer) anywhere near me. I looked at their fitness mats, which appear to be identical to the hose mats, but the only local dealer wanted $75 per mat! That puts me up in Racedeck territory, and I'm trying to avoid spending that kind of $$.

The local fitess dealer turned me on to Durabak's products as a commercial-grade alternative to the standard floor epoxy you can get at Home Depot. This stuff seems a whole hell of a lot more durable and permanent than most garage floor epoxies that I've seen. It also comes embedded with tiny rubber particles, which make the garage nonslip (a plus considering I wash my car in my garage). At $79-119 a gallon, it's a lot more than the store-bought stuff.

It's available in a bunch of colors, too, and is a lot cheaper than going the tile route. Of course, it's not as cool-looking, but it's about 1/3-1/2 the price.

Anyone ever used this?

used something very similar for my machine shop. SUCKS when you want to sweep up!!! It doesn't bond anywhere near well enough for use in a garage. The pressure and friction from your tires will surely take it right off.

Ill PM you tomorrow with the name and number of my sales rep from Graingers. I got some bad ass stuff from him for other area of my shop and this stuff is indestructable!

I've been around almost every type of urethane floor coating known. The term "urethane" or "polyurethane" is loosely used in the floor coatings industry. If you can get some ASTM lab tests, I might be able to give you an idea of its durability. Good quality urethane floor coatings, moisture cure to be specific, are soft enough to allow gloss retention and promote long wear, something epoxies aren't as capable of. To complicate things, there are one-part moisture cure urethanes, two-part moisture cure urethanes (chemical resistant) and true water borne urethanes. Then there are mixes, which don't qualify, but are marketed as a urethane. A chemical resistant urethane will be the best for resistance to plastisisers that leave foot prints from tires, as well as oil and other fluid spills. The trade off is that a CR urethane is harder than a one-part moisture cure urethane, therefore it does not retain its gloss as long or wear as well (not a biggie in a garrage).

I have said it before (do a search), the absolute critical factor is applying any kind of floor coating is preperation, i.e., the process used, and how that prep process matches the existing concrete surface. If there is oil wicked into it, you have your work cut out. Even a sweeping compund that has been used can create havoc if you don't know what your doing. I'd say 9 out of 10 garrage floor coatings fail (adhesion), and that's because the applicator had no idea what they were doing (and the product supplier doesn't inform the applicator of all the problems or variables).

I just completed my garage floor with the stall mats. It works really well. I also have a section of Racedeck. I prefer the stall mats over the Racedeck.

Did you call RBRubber? That's what I did and I happen to have a dealer one mile from my house.

caz-nsx said:
I just completed my garage floor with the stall mats. It works really well. I also have a section of Racedeck. I prefer the stall mats over the Racedeck.

Did you call RBRubber? That's what I did and I happen to have a dealer one mile from my house.

I did call RBRubber. There are no horse stall mat dealers in the entire state of New Mexico, which surprises the hell out of me considering that there are a lot of horses in this state. There is an online retailer, but they aren't all that cheap either and I'm afraid to even ask for a shipping quote. After all is said and done, it would more than likely be the same cost (or more) as Racedeck.

Back