Anybody else doing wheel-wheel racing?

sjs

Legendary Member
Time to find the time for a little wheel-to-wheel racing before I get (way) to old. So, I just bought another 1969 Datsun 510, this one a restored racer with a little history. I'll use it for a season or so of SCCA and Council schools, regional races and some vintage events.

With so many of you that enjoy lapping events, I wondered why it seems that nobody does club races. You can do it on a pretty tight budget if the goal is learning and fun rather than winning (at least for a while).

Mind you, my new car is not fast. I did a standing start full-track autocross at Blackhawk last year in my then bone-stock NSX. The next day this car was driven by an experienced driver in a race, and it's best lap was barely equal to what I turned from a standing start!

Anyway, I figure a slow sedan is the right place to start. Things happen awfully fast in the NSX and that detracts from building smooth consistent laps.

When I can afford it someday I would like to. Until then, I'm looking into some kart racing as a viable option. looks fun and could probably learn a lot.

Back