Any thoughts on this '91 Targa?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=601375926

I emailed the seller, he says it was a Newport conversion, which I suppose is as reputable as it gets for such things. Very tempting, since I want a T but the '95's are alot higher $$. Any thoughts on these, does anyone here have experience w/ a Newport Targa conversion? Better yet, does anyone know anything about this actual car?

Also - is the classifieds section here still active? Hasn't been updated in a month, just wondering.

1st post - hope to join you soon as proud X-drivers!

Stay the heck away from those aftermarket Targa's.
They devalue the car and there isn't enough structural rigidity in the chassis after chopping the top off.
Personally I think you're better off buying a '95-T. (even though it is more expensive)

I would never, ever consider one of these conversions.

Honda made SO many under-the-skin changes to beef up the structure and I'm sure these changes could never be duplicated. Such as the larger cross-sectional area in the extruded sills, for example.

Also, I'm sure the fit and finish suffer. Look closely at the rear upper area of the window. See how it looks like it was just cut? Yuck!

Be afraid....Be very afraid!

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

I agree - stay away!!! You are asking for a car that shakes, rattles, and rolls, and will be difficult to re-sell. You will be throwing your money away.

The starting bid is also ridiculous - this car should be selling for thousands less than a similar coupe. And the starting bid doesn't even meet the reserve!

Caveat bidder.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 06 February 2002).]

Thank you for your input folks - sounds like the group speaks w/ a single voice on these conversion jobs! Actually I have been eyeballing this car on ebay since mid-december, back then the start bid was $34.5K (!):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=599398762&r=0&t=0

It is now the car's 3rd time thru ebay w/out a single bid. Who knows, maybe if it keeps plummeting i'll reconsider, but till then, thank you for all your advice.

You know what that car is worth to me?

And keep in mind, I'm not being a smart aleck or joking when I say this.....

Considering I'd only use it for a track beater car...

And considering that I'd strip the paint and have to weld the roof back in place and repaint it...

And considering that it would be competing against damaged, wrecked, reconstructed title NSXs....

I'd say in the high teens.

Others might disagree - but that's my opinion. It's that badly compromised.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

If a Newport-converted NSX is involved in a frontal collision, the dash MIGHT fold down, cutting off whatevers there -- drivers legs, etc

I'd look for another car -- get an NSX-T if you want an open-able top, else get a coupe if you want to save some $$

If a Newport-converted NSX is involved in a frontal collision, the dash MIGHT fold down, cutting off whatevers there -- drivers legs, etc

It's the "etc" that scares me. OUCH!!!

I wouldn't even pay high $teens for this Frankensteinian monstrosity. Run away!

-Bob ('94 #496, top intact, tyvm)

This car is great for nothing at all.

BTW- It looks as if the car has a lot of trouble passing emissions testing per carfax.

The top being chopped out was for cosmetic appeal, but look at the conversion. Very sloppy. If they could not do a good jod dressing in the cosmetics, how do you feel about the engineering of the so-called beefed up frame installed by this company.

I had a 77 Jag XJS w/ a chevy 350. I made it into a convert as it was a $3000.00 car. It leaked, it creaked, it killed the already poor hanling of the car. It looked cool with the top down during the 5 sunny days we get here in OR. The point... Chopping the top in your 85 nissan PU or other cheap car is OK if you accept the fact you are killing your car, and only want looks and a suntan.

It should be illegal to rape the NSX. Especially when you can save a little more and buy a factory engineered one.

Think about it. Why do think the thing is on Ebay?

LUD - add 002150 to the list of totalled NSXs.

[This message has been edited by NSX_PDX (edited 07 February 2002).]

[This message has been edited by NSX_PDX (edited 07 February 2002).]

Many Many years ago I visited Newport conversions, they would not talk to me, they would not let me in their shop, they told me to go away, then when I walked to what looked like an NSX hard top and took off the roof, they were all over it.
They still would not talk to me about how they "reinforced the frame". All you can see from these cars is a set of bars crossing under the car and welded on to the side sills. (which compromised the structural integrity of the original side sill).

This car is not safe.

HTH
Woodwork

Back