Any snowboarders here?

I think it' going to be hilarious when certain areas (e.g. the chin, the hair, etc.) are going to be covered with snow.

I'm an ex-tech rep for Burton.

Who's making those boards? FORUM? Kinda cool aren't they?

I should post up some pictures and video of Ski Dubai Freestyle Night here. We have this inflatible bag that we can launch into without hurting yourself!!! Its the best thing since sliced bread.

If you've ever thought of trying the hardest trick you can think of well with this air pad you can do anything you want! We have a contest coming up for "Highest number of rotations"...should be killer!

Humm...every winter I teach at a local ski area....somehow I doubt that the parents of my 11 year old students would approve of those boards:wink:

I love my burton snowboard. BTW if any other snowboarders are out there you should check out whiskeymilitia.com, They have awsome deals on snowboard equipment during the winter. I got a set of bindings on there last year for 35$ shipped.

Re: Whatever happened to .............

I'm kind of surprised this didn't turn into a hot thread. :confused:

I hadn't been skiing or boarding for 10 years, so you can imagine my surprise looking at the current equipment at Squaw Valley yesterday. It was a picture perfect day after a fresh dump and we were at Donner for the week already, so curiosity got the best of us and we went up for the day. So here's some observations that would probably be better in a "You know you're old when....." thread.

Boots. what happened to rear entry? I bought the first bright orange Hansons in the mid 70's and went rear entry from then on. Last I looked (famous last words) almost every rec skier were in rear entries. Didn't see a one on the mountain all day. :confused:

Skiis. I quit skiing in '89 because the Cascade cement that some people laughingly called the powder of Washington State was just too hard for me to carve with 4 edges on 205's. :frown: 2 edges on a short fat board.......that I could manage, so I boarded exclusively thru the '90s. So you can imagine the look on my face when the shop hands me 165 length skiis. :confused: They worked great in all conditions, so I was quite impressed. :smile:

Board bindings. Starting on the original Burton convex bottom board with sorel boots, I was pretty happy to get a Sims Halfpipe with real board boots. But by '95, I was spending too much of my day's energy budget getting in and out of the stupid rear binding. (Understand that even by '95, I still had a good 10 years on the oldest boarder in eastern WA.) So, of course I jumped all over the original Switch step in and loved them to death til I moved to CA in '99 and quit trying to go to the mountain all together. Yesterday, I saw maybe one flow binding but not one single real step in, racing or otherwise.

All minor trivia considering we had a great day, but I can't believe that rear entry boots and step in board bindings became extinct. I mean, the aging boomer generation should have kept those conveniences alive.

Its ok Ted, I skiied exclusively through out the 90's too. From age 11 to 18. I remember being handed LONGER skis as I got better. I also hated that too because I liked my shorter skis lol. I remember those parabolic shaped skis were all the rage, and pretty cool, like those bright orange atomics. Yep, rear entries was the shit. I was embarrassed that I steped into my boots from the front actually lol.

Now..... I don't even know what a skier looks like anymore haha.

3 years ago I decided to give snow boarding a try, after a ski absence of atleast 6 years. I went in and wanted a set of switch bindings or some sort of cool step in. Man, talk about being laughed out of the store lol. Apparently they were phased out because they had a tendency to clog up with snow and you couldn't click in at that point.

So I bought a "NEW MODERN TRADITIONAL" set up lol. How do those 3 words go together now a days? lol Modern traditional? Anyhow, fractured my L5 first day out on the first run in the first hour. Wasted $450 on a season pass in colorado, lol.

Last edited:
Its ok Ted, I skiied exclusively through out the 90's too. From age 11 to 18. I remember being handed LONGER skis as I got better. I also hated that too because I liked my shorter skis lol. I remember those parabolic shaped skis were all the rage, and pretty cool, like those bright orange atomics. Yep, rear entries was the shit. I was embarrassed that I steped into my boots from the front actually lol.

Now..... I don't even know what a skier looks like anymore haha.

3 years ago I decided to give snow boarding a try, after a ski absence of atleast 6 years. I went in and wanted a set of switch bindings or some sort of cool step in. Man, talk about being laughed out of the store lol. Apparently they were phased out because they had a tendency to clog up with snow and you couldn't click in at that point.

So I bought a "NEW MODERN TRADITIONAL" set up lol. How do those 3 words go together now a days? lol Modern traditional? Anyhow, fractured my L5 first day out on the first run in the first hour. Wasted $450 on a season pass in colorado, lol.

You fractured your L5 vertebrate? Ouch. Sounds painful. How'd you pull that off? Fall on your backside?

You fractured your L5 vertebrate? Ouch. Sounds painful. How'd you pull that off? Fall on your backside?

Bud, I fell on EVERY SIDE lol. Sometimes, I fell front side, back side, left side, right side, bottom side all in one quick catch of heel edge then tail edge. LoL. I was f#cked up pretty bad. There were a couple occasions where I'd bash my head so bad, I'd check the ground for blood, then I'd check the inside of my beanie, then what ever part of my head. Bad sign, I could of SWORN I blacked out once...... but then again I don't remember if I did :eek:

Lesson learned: don't be a cheap @ss, pay for the lesson.

Never felt so helpless in my life, eatting sh!t with both feet strapped on to a non independent moving single plank.

LOL i just YESTERDAY pulled out my board...burton Bryan Iguchi, with Burton Carbon Fiber bindings...prolly a 96-97 model year, only road in ONCE then moved to arizona....it is like a time capsule! sooooo perfect....i might havr ot go try and break it over new years!!!

Burton asym 6? get outta here. that's my last board. I liked it a lot, but the asym shape was only hot for what.......about a week and a 1/2? :rolleyes:
yeah, so i have a hard time of letting go ;)

earlier you said...

Board bindings. Starting on the original Burton convex bottom board with sorel boots, I was pretty happy to get a Sims Halfpipe with real board boots. But by '95, I was spending too much of my day's energy budget getting in and out of the stupid rear binding. (Understand that even by '95, I still had a good 10 years on the oldest boarder in eastern WA.) So, of course I jumped all over the original Switch step in and loved them to death til I moved to CA in '99 and quit trying to go to the mountain all together. Yesterday, I saw maybe one flow binding but not one single real step in, racing or otherwise.

my doc says i can snowboard this year (except for the head trauma-thing, but...) so if any active boarders have recommendations re new / easy access boot / board binding combo's i can replace my old-school parts with, i'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

thx,
hal

Just got a Burton 161.5 Libtech for this year. Was using a Solomon Special 159. Currently using K2 Cinchtech bindings, but have never really found myself comfortable with them. However, have yet to see anything much better.

Oh, and got some K2 boots with BOA. That $h!t is the bomb. I can't believe they sell anything but this technology!

Last edited:
Just got a Burton 161.5 Libtech for this year. Was using a Solomon Special 159. Currently using K2 Cinchtech bindings, but have never really found myself comfortable with them. However, have yet to see anything much better.

Oh, and got some K2 boots with BOA. That $h!t is the bomb. I can't believe they sell anything but this technology!
thx for the referrals... there are some good demo videos available and it's nice to see how easily the bindings work.

thx again, i'll check them out.
hal

Salomon Fastback 174
Catek Freestyle
Malamut boots

Cant wait for this year!

4061592818_fa3ae1c2c8_b.jpg

I'll be riding a Burton Deuce 162 this season- got a screaming good deal on it along with some new Burton Freestyle bindings (also a killer deal), and moto boots. Then I got laid off... Argh.

This will be my second full season living here in Colorado. Last year Lila was born in November and with my new Dad responsibilities, and getting adjusted I only got to ride once late in the season. I hope to go more often this season, but that will be dependent on how things settle in with the new job (start in 2 weeks) finances ect ect ect...

P

Re: Aahh, the good old days

Getting old ain't for sissies. Could not be more true than when watching the kids going at it these days and recalling when you were king of the mountain.

I'm working on a project just south of Mammoth and staying in Mammoth. They opened the mountain for a couple days (first day free) after the big dump 2 weeks ago. I'll be heading home soon and regret I dont' have the time (or the legs anymore) to rip like it was the 90's. :frown: Oh well, fun while it lasted.

Nice pic BTW. :wink:

Back