any Range Rover owners / enthusiasts

havent seen, but havent looked, any sites regarding rovers.

we have a 97 range rover 4.0 and i absolutely love it. great vehicle--not cheap to repair--but havent had anything major go wrong. at this point we have 76k on it and are planning to drive the wheels off it. imo much better vehicle than my 2000 escalade. VERY capable off-road vehicles, and they can be bought super cheap when 3yrs old. they really really depreciate for some reason. i bought ours in march 00 for only 29k--had 47kmiles.

private me if any questions

Originally posted by nsx1164:
Anyone who can recommend good enthusiast websites/forums ??

In particular, am interested in the later model V8 ones -- HSE 4.6 (early-to-mid 90s)

##############

Looking for:
- used SUV "buyers info"
- hints and suggestions
- aftermarket mods (mainly for towing)

Try Atlantic British for parts and accessories - they also have a techtips section. The Land Rover FAQ is here, not sure how often it is updated. Rovers North has the wiring harness for towing.
I'm considering a Discovery II for my next vehicle after deciding that Defender 110s are now too old and too problematic for long trips.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Thanks guys... was considering an early-to-mid 90s 4.6 HSE

- 4.0 vs 4.6 -- is it worth the $$ for the bigger engine? any other downside other than fuel economy ?
- any 'gotchas' with medium mileage cars ?
- what did they "fix" in the latest version (2002?)?? I think it has to do with "on-road" (highway manners)... anyone know ?

##############

I like how it can carry a decent load, haul like a truck, yet have a top-notch interior / cabin (good enough for the Queen of England). What's with the newer cars -- they drop $50K+ of value in the first 6 years or so ??

Manuel, they have that lingering reputation of niggling problems and stupid stuff going wrong - over and over again. Throw in people's memories of Lucas electrics and the general attitude towards the British motor industry and quality and you have lousy resale values. I love 'em - but a small part of me says that a Japanese SUV is the one that I *should* be taking on the next 1300 mile road trip...
Give Stuart at Copley Motorcars in Boston a call - he should give you some of the things to look for - he's low key low pressure and seems like a straight shooter - he has a couple of 4.6s on his site right now including a 2000 4.6HSE in gray that looks sharp.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

Thanks LeMansNSX... that special Rhino RR limited-edition looks pretty good, but pricing is a little higher than I hoped.

Your comments re: RR depreciation are interesting -- it seems to affect the Range Rover more than others. Defenders seem to hold value (because they've been discontinued, or because they look more military?); Discovery - hard to tell.

Used RR seems to be a better buy than a new Discovery. New compact SUV (Freelander) looks like a poser-upscale-RAV4.

the rangerover is the best value for the money. the discovery's also drop dramatically in value--i had a series 1 and have driven series 2. the discovery is also a great vehicle and off road without competition(except for hummer). the new dicos are pretty luxurious, but they are not very good long car trips, and pretty tight on leg room for driver and back seat passengers. having said that i put 50k on my disco and loved that thing. but wouldnt take it over the range rover.

range rover is pretty reliable. here's our personal experience; only problem was the brakes. the rotors and pads had to be replaced at 56k and the total cost, including the 60k total tuneup was 1700$. so that wasnt cheap, but not ridiculous either. so make sure the pads stay fresh or they can screw up your rotors. the rr gave no warning and the heavy beast really eats through the pads---probably doesnt have the brakes it could/should have.

the freelander is a ford through and through. a pretty shallow attempt by ford to sell an overpriced ford under the rover name. still a neat vehicle---just not really a rover.

we actually have the 4.0. the 4.6 is not remarkably different. both engines our tuned very low end, so both are slow but good for pulling. i think if i was going to pull a boat (or nsx) frequently id definately get the 4.6. if i was just going to tow occasionally, the 4.6 is an unnecessary upgrade. BOTH are slow movers. note that i WOULD have bought the 4.6 if they had what i wanted with the 4.6, but now im glad i didnt.

hope this helps. ive asked about rovers before on this forum and apparently very few owners here. come join the club!!!

last thought, the quality stuff you hear about rover may have some merit, but is all biased because of the new rr price tag. hey, at 50k plus price tag (65kplus new), I'd be pissed too. At a less than 40k price tag, this thing is much nicer than any gm product and just as or more reliable. for what you get, cant go wrong.

Originally posted by nsx1164:
Thanks LeMansNSX... that special Rhino RR limited-edition looks pretty good, but pricing is a little higher than I hoped.

Yeh, I knew that was more than you wanted to spend but it was just so pretty I had to mention it. The blue '99 he has looks nice too and is a fair bit cheaper.

Your comments re: RR depreciation are interesting -- it seems to affect the Range Rover more than others. Defenders seem to hold value (because they've been discontinued, or because they look more military?); Discovery - hard to tell.

Defenders (both the 90 and the 110) seem to have a bit of a cult following similar to the earlier "series" LRs. Discos, especially off-lease Disco IIs, are a dime a dozen.

Used RR seems to be a better buy than a new Discovery. New compact SUV (Freelander) looks like a poser-upscale-RAV4.

Agree somewhat about the RR being the better value - although you are still talking a pretty big price difference between that and a couple-year-old Disco II. With the RR you are getting a vehicle that looks a heck of a lot like the new $83K model!
The Freelander is cute - just like the blond in the commercials - and that appears to be who they aimed it at - you'd be far better off with a RAV4 or similar. I don't see anyone accepting it as a "real" Land Rover. Buy the RR, throw a couple of obscure crest decals in the back windows, and drive along feeling like the Duke of Windsor.
BTW, regarding RR handling and pep, they might be slow off the line but they can move pretty good. I've seen a few RR drivers surprise some sports cars on the Saw Mill River Parkway. Need more power? There is a company in England that specializes in Rover V8 stuff.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

I love rovers too! In fact I traded my 1998 Range 4.6 on my nsx.

The BMW designed rover has gotten 'help' from al of its parts. the orginal rover was a great offroad and ok on road truck. It needed more poewr, a nicer interior and better on road handling, so BMW provided a 282hp v8(which is btw more efficient on gas) and upgated intieor and bmw handling assists. thus cuz of these contributions along with the orginal rover designers' off road features, the perfect rover is now!! note that the final part owner, ford, did jack shit like always in helping but gave left us with underpowerred freelanders and discoveries .....

Originally posted by Auraraptor:
note that the final part owner, ford, did jack shit like always in helping but gave left us with underpowerred freelanders and discoveries .....

It's hardly fair to blame Ford for the Freelanders and Discoveries being under-powered when both vehicles existed prior to Ford's ownership. The Freelander was 5 years old before it ever came to the US market!

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

Ford put the range's 4.6 v8 in the discos.

They could have put one of their 'duratech' or whatever v8s instead and get more HP and more gas miles...

as for the freelander I never knew! Mostly what I know about rovers history/other models is what my friend who loves em as much as I love BMWs and Ferraris told me. I honestly thought it was some rebadge, slight exterior change car like ford does with mercury... Still ford could of added something to make the RR better. It could be I am BMW biased
smile.gif

Originally posted by Auraraptor:
as for the freelander I never knew!
smile.gif

The Freelander was the best-selling SUV in Europe for several years but was extensively re-done for the US market.
As for the V8s - did you know that the first
Rover V8 was an aluminum (aluminium to the Brits)3.5 liter that they bought from Buick?
Regarding BMW - yeh, kind of a shame that they didn't keep Rover.
History note: one of my first cars was a Rover 2000 sedan. Aluminum hood, de Dion back axle, inboard rear disc brakes, pretty hot stuff for 1966! Great car - unless you lived in the rust/salt belt!

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

Here we are discussing Rover and by an unfortunate coincidence I have to report that my family is now minus one much loved Land Rover! My cousin and her husband were involved in a very serious accident over this past weekend and the Land Rover is a write-off. The policeman investigating the accident informed them that they are lucky to be alive and, had they not been in a vehicle as substantial as the Land Rover, might have been killed. A teenage driver came around a blind curve on their side of the road hitting them head-on. The Land Rover rolled or flipped, I'm not sure which. All four people on board were thrown about a good bit but survived. Worst injury was a cracked sternum for my cousin and a dis-located shoulder for one of the passengers. Thankfully, all but one of their children were not with them. Witnesses reported that the teenager had passed them at a very high rate of speed on another blind curve moments earlier.
Life sure can change quickly - incidents like this should make us all appreciate our loved ones every moment.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

Lemansnsx, best wishes to your family.

that is exactly why my wife has the range rover as her daily driver. that is the vehicle i want for her and my children.

when you hear all about the safety tests, they never seem to capture the whole real world moving mass physics thing.

in light of your news, this seems trivial; but i did not know the freelander was actually a rover first that was re-badged as a ford. in fact, the salesman mentioned that the freelander was a re-badged ford, not the other way around. interesting. maybe he was ignorant or just trying to upsell.

Originally posted by huckster:
Lemansnsx, best wishes to your family.

Thank you!

when you hear all about the safety tests, they never seem to capture the whole real world moving mass physics thing.

Agreed! There's just no escaping those basic laws of physics!

but i did not know the freelander was actually a rover first that was re-badged as a ford. in fact, the salesman mentioned that the freelander was a re-badged ford, not the other way around. interesting. maybe he was ignorant or just trying to upsell.

I vote for just ignorant. The current Freelander is a distinct vehicle - not based on any Ford platform. The next Freelander, due in 2004, will also not be a rebadged Ford (or Mazda). It *may* be based on a Volvo platform and will be offered with a range of engines all the way up to a super-charged Jaguar 6 cylinder. They are aiming to compete with the upcoming BMW X3. The Jaguar 6 is also supposed to turn up in the all new Discovery which may debut in 2005. Great things ahead for Rover fans!

Edited to correct silly formatting errors.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

[This message has been edited by lemansnsx (edited 30 August 2002).]

Originally posted by Lud:
Aren't they bringing the Defender back to the US soon?

Yes! According to the Land Rover Chronicle:

A new Land Rover Defender was in the works to be introduced for 2003. According to reports though the replacement for the new Defender is not the priority it was and the release date has been pushed back to 2005 as Land Rover will focus on a new Discovery and Freelander.
Defender will stick with a traditional ladder-frame chassis and will be offered in many body styles and choice of off-road abilities. There will be a Lifestyle Defender with independent front and rear suspension for better on road abilities but also offer excellent off-road abilities, along with full leather and power everything. There will also be the classic iconic Land Rover Defender with incredible off-road capabilities. This model will use independent front suspension and a live-axle in the rear for utility and military applications.
The exterior will include cues from the SVX concept (shown below), one insider said "The Defender is a totally different type of vehicle, basically it has to be a square box."

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

2005? That stinks. The Defender is very cool and I think embodies the original spirit of Land Rover better than any of the other current models. A friend of mine has a D90 and the thing is just unbreakable and unstoppable. If Hummer built a Jeep, it would be like the Defender.

As far as the US version of the Freelander... It sounds like Ford is doing to Land Rover what they did to Jaguar... Produce a neutered low-price version that dilutes the very brand name it is trying to cash in on. Seems to be a common theme w/ upscale companies Ford buys..

I have a bad feeling the "Lifestyle Defender" will be lame too.

But I'm sure they will sell magnitudes more Freelanders than purpose-built Defenders so who can blame them for chasing the money.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 30 August 2002).]

Originally posted by Lud:
2005? That stinks. The Defender is very cool and I think embodies the original spirit of Land Rover better than any of the other current models. A friend of mine has a D90 and the thing is just unbreakable and unstoppable. If Hummer built a Jeep, it would be like the Defender.

Yes, Defenders are way cool - especially the 110 - which is a direct descendant of the "series" LRs that go back to the 1940s.

As far as the US version of the Freelander... It sounds like Ford is doing to Land Rover what they did to Jaguar... Produce a neutered low-price version that dilutes the very brand name it is trying to cash in on. Seems to be a common theme w/ upscale companies Ford buys..

I have a bad feeling the "Lifestyle Defender" will be lame too.

But I'm sure they will sell magnitudes more Freelanders than purpose-built Defenders so who can blame them for chasing the money.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 30 August 2002).]

I have to agree. Even the name "Lifestyle" made me shiver a little when I read it. Reminds me of all of the Mini material that I was receiving last year: lots of stuff about lifestyles and very little hard info on the car. I tried to tell them I already had a lifestyle and wasn't interested in some marketing dweeb's ideas of how my life should be but they kept right on sending the stuff. The Freelander ads of "take me with you" are just as lame - trying to cash in on the Land Rover reputation to boost sales of a cute little thing that will never go anywhere rougher than the mall parking lot.

I still kind of lust after a 110 - but I think I'll go for a bit more luxury and then throw on some of the safari racks and stuff to make it look tough! Even one of the special edition Disco IIs can look pretty good.
Check out Hannibal for cool racks and look at the neat pop-up roof mounted tent that goes on the rack.

edit: found pictures of what I was talking about:

DIITentPanorama.jpg

SEMATent.jpg

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

Back