Any private/independent pilots here?

Anyone here a private/independent pilot? I had a few questions. Please PM me if you have a few minutes to talk.

Thanks,

-Awais

V12Kid said:
man..I have always wanted to learn how to fly, one day I will!

Im not a full scale pilot but am an AMA certified pilot for R/C :D
Nice! I have to take some lessons and learn how to fly my R/C helicopter this summer. It's been sitting in my room for 2 years now :D

Any REAL pilots? :D I thought we had a few here on Prime.

-Awais

good to hear! Choppers are fun!

Im curious as well to see who is a pilot on Prime.

Here is a pic of my Supermarine Spitfire Mark IV :)

100_1060.sized.jpg

O-Ace said:
Anyone else a pilot?
Got my PPL in college, but have not flown in quite a few years (~22). A few years ago I had decided to get current, which because of how long I had not flown would have required much more than a bi-anual review. To make a long story short, I had my FBO all scoped out and I was ready to go right after my birthday. Well, my birthday is 9/11. That year happened to be 2001. GA was grounded, I got busy as heck a few months later, and never got around to getting current. Flying is simply awesome. If you have the time, do it.

O-Ace said:
Anyone else a pilot?
I've got about 360 hours.

Private Pilot:
ASEL
ASES
Glider

I can also give you some comments about local flight schools.

Send me an e-mail; my PM inbox is close to full.

I have a private pilot license which I used as a company pilot long long ago and far far away. I found flying to be very much an intellectual discipline - the actual mechanics of flying is actually easier than driving in my opinion. The knowledge of weather was the part I have learned to appreciate more than anything else. After 20+ years away from it I went flying with a new pilot recently and found that I could control the plane easily but the interaction with the tower and centers was completely foreign to me. Once I was no longer a company pilot I found the expense and time neccessary to stay current was too much - I guess you have to really love it to stick with it. Lots of people live for it so you never know unless you go for it.

Joel said:
Do you need 20/20 vision for them to let you fly?
I know this is the case for the military.

In the military, your vision merely needs to be correctable to 20/20. I went through USAF pilot training with folks that wore glasses. I'm bringing this up because most recruiters don't seem to know the regulations themselves, and turn away many potentially great aviators based on this. In the past, it used to be true that you needed 20/20 vision, but it's not any more.

Chuck

Back