Any NSX to MBZ SL55 Converts Here?

The previous owner of my NSX made the jump to a XK Jag then to a Mercedes SL and still commented that he wish he hadn't let his nsx go.

I'm thinking of making the jump. Any thoughts?

i mean its a grat car... lots of power... but like all have mentioned, NSX is something truly special... most people on the road, can't even appreciate a 55 from a normal 500...

the nsx, doesn't matter who you are.... it stands out....

but also make sure to get warranty... my rooommate has a lorinser SC'd cl500 and ironically the lorinser parts hold up well... not so well on the MB parts... :confused:

I have both an 05' NSX and an 07' SL550R Lorinser and if I had to choose between the two, the Benz would go...

IMG_0919.jpg

I have never owned one but took care of one while a friend was in Turkey. In order to justify me parking my vehicle outside of the garage so his could stay in, he told me to drive it as often as I liked. It's an awesome machine to drive. I would NOT want to own one for an extended period of time though.

I dropped his SL back at his home a week and a half before he came back because I had to go out of town. Upon his return, the regular battery had died beyond return and the convert top battery had caused some short and also had to be replaced.

The car was 1 year old and had 8 or 9k miles. The warranty covered 1800 worth of work and he had to pay nearly 400 because batteries/top mechanisms were not covered under any warranty. I parked the car in a dark closed garage, so the possibility of me leaving a light on etc. was very, very slim. He said several other SL owners had the exact same problem and told me not to worry about it. I did put the new batteries back in his car for him though. I can't imagine what it's going to be like 5-10 years down the road. Yikes.

There is a bigg difference between the sl class and the nsx. The nsx is a truly amazing car, but there is a bigg difference such as a midd engine and front engine , v8 , v6, mods for the nsx but not to many mods for the Benz .Plus the Benz is close to 4500 to 5000 pounds more power but more weight then the nsx. The nsx is also for younger guys , the Benz is for much older classic guys that are less sporty then the nsx but sporty . If you dint mind me asking . How old are you?

As much as I love the new AMG SL cars, I don't think I'd take one over my NSX.

Figure out a way to have both. It's the only reasonable solution.

I have a CL55 AMG and love the car, it has a lot more power than a stock NSX, but gets no real looks. It is more comfortable but is also heavy. I would say it is like comparing apples to oranges. You should drive one and make the decision for yourself. I prefer the CL or SL for a daily driver, but enjoy the NSX for fun factor.

Rob

I have a CL55 AMG and love the car, it has a lot more power than a stock NSX, but gets no real looks. It is more comfortable but is also heavy. I would say it is like comparing apples to oranges. You should drive one and make the decision for yourself. I prefer the CL or SL for a daily driver, but enjoy the NSX for fun factor.

Rob

agreed... 100%

I agree as well. I went the other way by the way. I had a CL600 and was about to buy an SL55. Spent quite a bit of time with them. Decided to go with the NSX.

Its a more comfortable car for sure, much better quality materials, horribly less reliable, horribly expensive to maintain (I didn't care as I had warranty but boy did I use it). Serene, smooth, quiet, and safe. But my NSX is a TON more fun.

mods for the nsx but not to many mods for the Benz .Plus the Benz is close to 4500 to 5000 pounds more power but more weight then the nsx. The nsx is also for younger guys , the Benz is for much older classic guys that are less sporty then the nsx but sporty . If you dint mind me asking . How old are you?

I couldn't disagree more and by the way, the Benz is not anywhere close to 5000 pounds unless the Fat Boys are riding shotgun. I know 4200 pounds is much heavier than the 3100 pound NSX, but it is not that bad.

Please please start using spell/grammar check because your posts are so hard to read.:rolleyes:

I couldn't disagree more and by the way, the Benz is not anywhere close to 5000 pounds unless the Fat Boys are riding shotgun. I know 4200 pounds is much heavier than the 3100 pound NSX, but it is not that bad.

Please please start using spell/grammar check because your posts are so hard to read.:rolleyes:

The ignore feature works good no need to get yourself worked up.

I bought a SL55 last year. It is not a replacement for the NSX by any means. I was going to get a Gallardo but the distance I have to travel to have a Gallardo serviced made the Lambo a no go.

Mercedes really did a great job with the AMG cars. My SL reminds me of a 60's muscle car with added luxury appointments. The exhaust note is perfect for this type of vehicle. I would not buy a AMG car without a factory wartranty. The cost to make repairs can quicky remove any amount of money you thought to save by buying an older car.

Next on the list to buy...SL65 of course. :smile: I still can't get the Gallardo out of my head though. Mercedes really hit the mark with the AMG cars. They can be serviced in almost any small city and all large ones. 4y/ 50k warranty. Comfortable and fun to drive. The only thing faster is the depreciation, expect the value to drop by 25k or more a year for the first 2 years and then 10k a year for 2-3 years then a slow drop in depreciation but I bet the cost of repairs after the warranty is up will keep you near the 10-15k level.

The ignore feature works good no need to get yourself worked up.

Sorry tjobeid, didn't mean to sound so crass. Tone is hard to relay in print, but a quick proof read will make all the difference in the world. :smile:

Ah, I feel much better now. :biggrin:

Please dont confuse me with Tjobeid ..... :mad:

Didn't confuse you with Tjobeid, but just wanted to reference the comment where some could think I was getting myself worked up as it was not my intention. :smile:

Back