Any NSX owners currently own a ITR?

Just wondering how many had both and if you track them how they comapre to each other.

I had both, until my brother got into an accident with my itr. Two totally different driving techniques. After going to FR/MR, I don't think I'll ever go back to FF. FR/MR feels like it responds better to accelerating, turning, weight transfering, etc. RWD FTW!!!

Ken aka nsxtasy owns and tracks both.

I have both. I track the ITR but not the NSX. The NSX is completely stock. The ITR however has been built from the ground up for track day use over the last few years; the modification list is a mile long. :biggrin:

1998 Championship White ITR

image3.jpg

1997 Monte Carlo Blue NSX-T

Tomcat.jpg

Ken aka nsxtasy owns and tracks both.
Yup. That's my ITR in my avatar. I have over 6K actual track miles on the ITR, and over 12K on the NSX. They are both very capable cars on the track. The ITR is an extremely neutral handling car, so there's very little difference in the feel of FWD vs RWD. I feel like I am using a lot more of the ITR's capabilities than the NSX's, that I'm closer to the car's limits. Obviously the NSX is faster than the ITR. I can only bring four track tires to the track inside the NSX, whereas I usually bring 6-7 with me in the ITR and I still have plenty of extra room.

I can only bring four track tires to the track inside the NSX

How in the world can you do that? I can see maybe 2 in the cabin (fronts), and one under the hood. I'm assuming the last one is in the trunk where everything is hollowed out. I've never shelled out the NSX, so I'm not sure how much room is in the trunk. Thats crazy though...

Yup. That's my ITR in my avatar. I have over 6K actual track miles on the ITR, and over 12K on the NSX. They are both very capable cars on the track. The ITR is an extremely neutral handling car, so there's very little difference in the feel of FWD vs RWD. I feel like I am using a lot more of the ITR's capabilities than the NSX's, that I'm closer to the car's limits. Obviously the NSX is faster than the ITR. I can only bring four track tires to the track inside the NSX, whereas I usually bring 6-7 with me in the ITR and I still have plenty of extra room.

How's it going Ken. :smile: The ITR is the best handling FF car ever made IMHO. It has neutral handling, and is quite stable at speed. It is however still an FF car; and requires a different set of driving techniques than the MR or FR platform.

FF cars (the ITR included) usually can't carry as much speed through the corners as a well designed FR ( S2000) or MR (NSX) sports car. The front/rear weight ratio and the fact that the front wheels both propel and steer the vehicle, contribute to the problem of maintaining vehicle balance in the turns. Not to mention the extra wear on the front tires, as a result of the FF platform. Trail-braking the ITR does help to maintain balance through the turns though.

Bottom line: It will still kick butt on the track, even though it's based on 12 year old FF technology. :biggrin:

Edit: I have no problem getting 5 wheels and tires in the ITR, plus tools when heading out to a track-day.

I have both. I track the ITR but not the NSX. The NSX is completely stock. The ITR however has been built from the ground up for track day use over the last few years; the modification list is a mile long. :biggrin:

1998 Championship White ITR

image3.jpg

1997 Monte Carlo Blue NSX-T

Tomcat.jpg

Both of your vehicles are sweet!! I always wanted a ITR. :smile:

Both of your vehicles are sweet!! I always wanted a ITR. :smile:

Thanks... :smile: Not to detract from the ITR in it's purest form (stock), but the fully built NA 234whp 2.0L racing engine, and the Mugen suspension help to "keep me out of people's way" on the track. :biggrin:

Nice nice!!!! I cant wait to have my 2 fav Honda's sitting in my garage at the same time! My ITR has more of drag...actually it's turned into a show whore here the past few years. I did have my Apexi coilovers balanced to 57/43 and I just added a fully custom roll bar that took the money I was going to spend on my future NSX's wheels but it's ok...lol. I'm not looking to spend any where NEAR what I did on my ITR (yea I say that now). But seriously I just want to keep the NSX simple and be able to drive her a LOT. Im actually looking at the NSX as a daily driver. :biggrin:

How in the world can you do that? I can see maybe 2 in the cabin (fronts), and one under the hood. I'm assuming the last one is in the trunk where everything is hollowed out. I've never shelled out the NSX, so I'm not sure how much room is in the trunk. Thats crazy though...
First of all, of COURSE you can fit a tire in the trunk! Honda designed the car that way, so if you are driving with a passenger and you get a flat, you have somewhere to put the flat tire after mounting the spare.

One rear tire in the trunk.
One front tire behind the passenger seat.
One of each on the passenger seat, standing up (oriented the same way as the tires the car is riding on, rear tire closer to the driver).

It works with the stock '91-93 tire sizes.

How's it going Ken. :smile: The ITR is the best handling FF car ever made IMHO. It has neutral handling, and is quite stable at speed. It is however still an FF car; and requires a different set of driving techniques than the MR or FR platform.

FF cars (the ITR included) usually can't carry as much speed through the corners as a well designed FR ( S2000) or MR (NSX) sports car. The front/rear weight ratio and the fact that the front wheels both propel and steer the vehicle, contribute to the problem of maintaining vehicle balance in the turns. Not to mention the extra wear on the front tires, as a result of the FF platform. Trail-braking the ITR does help to maintain balance through the turns though.
Most of what you say is applicable to the NSX as well as the ITR. And the driving techniques really aren't any different; you want to maintain vehicle balance through the turns with either car.

Not to mention the extra wear on the front tires, as a result of the FF platform.
Extra wear on the front tires of the ITR is not a problem, since you can rotate tires between front and rear to even out the wear. It also helps that you can fit more than four tires in the car, so you can wear down tires to the belts, and still have extras with you so you don't have to stop driving at that point.

A couple other advantages of owning and tracking both cars. One is that they use the same front brake pads, so it makes buying pads and bringing them with you to the track easier (as long as you have extra pads, you have extras for both cars).

Another is that the R compound size for the ITR is the same as the '91-93 stock size for the NSX front. I never have to worry about front track tires for the NSX wearing out at an event. When my NSX fronts start to get worn down, I swap them onto the ITR wheels as "hand me downs" and get new ones for the NSX. :biggrin:

Edit: I have no problem getting 5 wheels and tires in the ITR, plus tools when heading out to a track-day.
You can actually fit 14 wheels and tires in the ITR, if you're not bringing anything else. I've brought as many as 8 to the track with all my gear, and 10 when driving to the tire shop. I haven't gone all the way to 14, though.

Most of what you say is applicable to the NSX as well as the ITR. And the driving techniques really aren't any different; you want to maintain vehicle balance through the turns with either car.

I agree that the same driving techniques can be applied to both cars, but the use of these techniques will be different based on how FF/MR/FR cars respond. For example, the ITR will not kick out the rear wheels in a turn like an FR car (even with a 26mm rear sway and stiff suspension). The NSX likes to pivot on an axis just ahead of the engine when the rear end comes around in a turn, unlike an FR car.

NSXtasy said:
Extra wear on the front tires of the ITR is not a problem, since you can rotate tires between front and rear to even out the wear. It also helps that you can fit more than four tires in the car, so you can wear down tires to the belts, and still have extras with you so you don't have to stop driving at that point.

That's why I keep the same tire size, both front and rear. Although I would like to go 215 or 225 in front (I currently use 205/45/16).

NSXtasy said:
A couple other advantages of owning and tracking both cars. One is that they use the same front brake pads, so it makes buying pads and bringing them with you to the track easier (as long as you have extra pads, you have extras for both cars).

Good to know, but I use Axxis Ultimate pads and Brembo blank rotors for the ITR and all stock stuff for the NSX.

NSXtasy said:
Another is that the R compound size for the ITR is the same as the '91-93 stock size for the NSX front. I never have to worry about front track tires for the NSX wearing out at an event. When my NSX fronts start to get worn down, I swap them onto the ITR wheels as "hand me downs" and get new ones for the NSX. :biggrin:

Nice! I can't do that with my 97 NSX though; 16"/17" combo.

NSXtasy said:
You can actually fit 14 wheels and tires in the ITR, if you're not bringing anything else. I've brought as many as 8 to the track with all my gear, and 10 when driving to the tire shop. I haven't gone all the way to 14, though.

Photos please!! :eek:

Nice nice!!!! I cant wait to have my 2 fav Honda's sitting in my garage at the same time! My ITR has more of drag...actually it's turned into a show whore here the past few years. I did have my Apexi coilovers balanced to 57/43 and I just added a fully custom roll bar that took the money I was going to spend on my future NSX's wheels but it's ok...lol. I'm not looking to spend any where NEAR what I did on my ITR (yea I say that now). But seriously I just want to keep the NSX simple and be able to drive her a LOT. Im actually looking at the NSX as a daily driver. :biggrin:

My NSX is a daily driver. :smile:

I had a friend of mine from Dallas called Jeff Milburn build it for me. He actually builds turcks/cages for NASCAR Trucks and also does stunt cars for movie production. He's the only other person besides me that I think would take there time on my car to make sure its perfect and not half ass or rush through anything.

here's a few more from a dif angle:
IFOOKC053.jpg

IFOOKC052.jpg

Erik, please consider the following suggestions:

Attach the Takata harnesses to the bar just behind the seat, and cover the main bar with dense roll bar foam padding. You will need to protect yourself from the roll bar, should you have an accident. You certainly don't want your head coming in contact with that bar without a helmet. With the belts as long as they are, they will stretch too much during an accident. They are best secured at a point just behind the front seats to minimize stretching. This is what it will take to safely drive with a roll bar and harnesses on the street.

Stay safe...:smile:

Here are a couple photos of the setup in my ITR as an example:

DSCF0199.jpg

DSCF0189.jpg

DSCF0198.jpg

Last edited:
TAG, thanks man...yea pads for the bars are a sure thing...during shows they aren’t on there. When I drive the car the seats are positioned so my head can not make contact with the bars anyway.

I am not using the harnesses for anything other then shows right now for that very same reason. I am still looking into how to get them to attach to the harness bar. I might actually get diff harnesses that can be attached to it. I’m aware of spinal core injuries with them being used as shown as well as them stretching because they are so long. I don’t think there is a way to mount these particular harnesses tho :frown:

TAG, thanks man...yea pads for the bars are a sure thing...during shows they aren’t on there. When I drive the car the seats are positioned so my head can not make contact with the bars anyway.

I am not using the harnesses for anything other then shows right now for that very same reason. I am still looking into how to get them to attach to the harness bar. I might actually get diff harnesses that can be attached to it. I’m aware of spinal core injuries with them being used as shown as well as them stretching because they are so long. I don’t think there is a way to mount these particular harnesses tho :frown:

I don't know the answer to that either, but I know someone who will. I'll call Dennis at LDL Speed Shop about that and let you know. He has a shop at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Dennis' shop built my car from the ground up; including installation of the safety equipment that was installed to SCCA specifications.

Regards,

Tom

aw man that would be great!!! Oh thats a good looking roll bar btw! :cool:

For example, the ITR will not kick out the rear wheels in a turn like an FR car (even with a 26mm rear sway and stiff suspension).

The technique is different between FR and FF, but my ITR rotated very well.

Erik - You might consider getting a second opinion from somebody who has experience building cages for cars before you take your car on track. If the c-pillars buckle in a roll over, the rear braces for your main hoop could fail. Rear braces traditionally tie into the rear shock towers or some other part of the car that isn't going to collapse in a roll over. Why no cross-brace for the main hoop?

Um not sure really. The guy that built the bar knows what he's doing tho, I dont think he'd build something that was unsafe. :confused: I think the seat belt points on the rear are good mounts even if the pillar bar snapped. the bars wouldnt be pushed fwd if that part of the car rolled. I think it would pull the bar back if anything which wouldnt hurt me or the pass. But I will get a second take on it for sure...thanks man

My stock 00 ITR loves to rotate on the track. I feel I can make more mistakes in the NSX, but in the ITR at the limit I have to be super smooth.

Love them both, and glad to be part of the best of Honda club.

Back