Any good Camcorder to install in my NSX?

Hey Guys,
What kind of camcorder do you guys use to record NSX track movies. I was wondering what is a good, bang-for-the buck camcorder that I can use to mount inside my NSX, record exhaust sounds and take still pictures.

Being able to edit the video with sounds and save to my hard drive is a plus.

I am looking into the Sony DCR-TRV18 for $570
Thanks

I have the trv-25 and find it is still subject to wind roar and shakiness,but not as bad as my old 8mm sony.If you want shake free with only engine sounds then you need a remote system that has seperate mic and lens seperate from the actual camera mechanism which runs into the 1000$ range,the camera you have will be fine,having the remote controll feature is also a plus.It is hard to manually reach around to start/stop it once strapped in.

i think any digital camcorder will do the job ... as for editing and saving the video....its best to get a camcorder with a firewire interface and get a firewire card for your computer... most cards come with some software .... i picked up my card with ulead video 6 for 49.99. I think the camera mount is an important item ... i use a suction cup type and mount it on the rear window..it can also be mounted on the side but thats not the view i wanted.
API310w2.gif
http://www.buy.com/retail/product_jump.asp?sku=10259102

sm1b.jpg
http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Mounting%20Brackets.htm

those are some great pictures of mounting options.My only advice to anyone thinking of the suction cup variety is check with the group holding the track event as they usualy require more secure bolt or screw mounting.I use the ioport mount to a harness-bar.

I use a Canon Elura 2mc with an ioport mount to a harness bar, similar to Dr John's setup. I have never had any shakiness to the camera but, naturally, will get wind noise with the windows down. The camera will record any "bumps" such as rumble strips or curbing (obviously it records "movements" that the car makes) but otherwise the video taken appears to be shot with a steadicam.

Bob

I have the trv-18 and so far it has worked very well. This is my first season to use video so all of my "recon" runs have been doing errands and stuff. So far, no apparent vibration and really good clarity. The only negative was that I couldn't get a very wide shot. So I picked up the Sony wide-angle lens (VCL-0630 for $80)at the Sony store in Chicago. Much better! I can now get the A-pillars in view.

I'm using Dali's harness bar and camera mount too.

[This message has been edited by Ponyboy (edited 21 December 2002).]

Back