Any experience with 97-98 Jag XJR??

Hello,

My wife and I are looking at 97-98 Jag XJR since the used car price has dropped significantly.

How are they in terms of reliability or maintenance cost, compared to other comparable cars (in terms of price, not performance), say, 97-98 Merc E320?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I dont own one but have a good friend who had about 7 jags over the past decade. he loves them and I am fortunate enough to hold his second set of keys for him :)

As far as that year I never liked them until 1998 when they changed their interiors to a modern style and the overall car got a nice makeover. The 98 is a far superior car than the 97. One look at the interiors and you will see that. They are pretty relible and are an acquired taste. My dad just bought a 2000 E430 and it def has a German tatse to it. The Benz has clean lines and a very effecient interior setup but isnt very inviting. The Jag is very posh and has better leather and more comfortable seats. It's a bit tigher inside as far as space but I like it alot. Feels cozy and im 6 ft tall so it seems to work

My friend recently sold the old XJR and got a XKR convertible and that thing is awesome!!

Both the XJR and the XKR are great cars and can really hussle once you plant your foot in it. If its for your wife im sure she will love it over the Benz. Maybe even consider the XJ8 Vanden Plas? Great car for the price now if you ask me.

If you have any specific questions let me know and ill try to answer them. Good luck!!

matt

The neighbors bracketing my house have a 1998 XJR and a 2002 XKR. Actually, the XJR was just traded for a ML500, and my neighbor said a big reason was the maintenance and reliability of the XJR was horrible (a common Jag complaint). He swore off them forever. (Maybe he hasn't read about all the problems with the M class?)

The XKR owner babies his like no one I've ever seen, and I would be surprised if he has 2k miles on it. Needless to say, he has had no maintenance complaints.

I do know he got next to nothing on his trade (relative to what he paid).

Good luck, and get to know your Jag service department!

Todd

LeftLane said:
Good luck, and get to know your Jag service department!

Todd

Luck will be needed and getting to know the service staff, intimately, will not be a problem - it is part and parcel of Jaguar ownership.

awww guys..not fair. My friend has never had any major problems with his cars and the ones I've driven were great cars. I know they have had a bad rep in the past but alot has changed and they are excellent cars now.

matt

Thank you so much for all the inputs and thoughts.

V12Kid: I will surely let you know if I have any other questions. Thanks for your help.

i havnt had one but i have raced one when i was at a stoplight watin to turn green and a jag comes out of nowhere with a roll start and tries to race me but i still one.

nosboy4life said:
i havnt had one but i have raced one when i was at a stoplight watin to turn green and a jag comes out of nowhere with a roll start and tries to race me but i still one.

still one? still one what? :confused:

TigerNSX said:
Thank you so much for all the inputs and thoughts.

V12Kid: I will surely let you know if I have any other questions. Thanks for your help.

no problem at all! If you are ever in the DC area let me know ill get you a test ride if need be!!

matt

Back