Any discontinued parts on the NSX?

Coming from the AE86 platform, I'm no stranger to having parts discontinued. One aspect of driving a rare car like the 86 is being exclusive because all other 86's have been beaten to death, rusted, or crashed...

I love the fact that my car is rare and a classic, however, i do not enjoy not having parts available. There have been many discontinued parts on my car which saddens me because i can't replace them to a "NEWness" level anymore.
all interior trim (dash, coverings, seats, etc.), headlight pop up motors, door moldings, certain window molding, clock bezel, etc.. have been discontinued. sux to be a 86 owner at this stage.. hehe

Anyways, i was wondering if there have been any discontinued parts on the NSX? Aren't OEM productions supposed to last 10 years after a car has been discontinued? So in case of the NSX, it'll be 2015 before any parts start to be discontinued??

Anyways, i was wondering if there have been any discontinued parts on the NSX? Aren't OEM productions supposed to last 10 years after a car has been discontinued? So in case of the NSX, it'll be 2015 before any parts start to be discontinued??
I believe Honda keeps OEM parts available for five years, not ten. However, that does not mean that parts will no longer be available after that; it depends on the part. For example, you can no longer buy floor mats for the ivory interior color that was sold in the '91-93 model year. Obviously you can substitute another color with no problems.

I am not aware of any functional/mechanical parts that are no longer available. Right now, availability of parts does not appear to be a serious problem with the NSX.

FYI, there is no law that requires a manufacturer to keep every part available for a certain vehicle until it reaches 10 yrs from last production date. And when they do discontinue an item, it isn't required to be made known to the general public either.
Many reasons factor into a part being dropped from production not just the age of the vehicle it is going on.

Yeh, ask a Viper owner. Major suspension parts are NOT available just after a few years. I have a friend that needed a front lower control arm. The 2 that were left in stock for sale got $5-6k and he owns a Dodge dealership :eek:

Yes there are and I am finding it out first hand.....I am restoring my ivory interior and I have either bought the last piece to exist or I am S.O.L. For example the passenger plastic trim that goes above the door sill is no longer avaiable. I have bought new door sills, new driver side plastic trim and supposedly the last ever ivory middle visor piece since mines was split at the ends. So now I will have to dye the passenger side plastic piece and hope that it will match.

I would think with the NSXs after market support, we should be fine.

I can tell you with my 40 year old mustang, you can litterly build a mustang from scratch with nothing but after market parts.

Not to mention, you can always MAKE a part. I was watching something on TV about Jay Leno's collection, and they were saying how they had to occasionally make a part for some of his very rare cars.
I also think I remember seeing a website where you give them an autocad design, and they'll make it out of whatever material you want.

Agree with the others - there should be no major problems with mechanical parts for a long time on any year NSX. Specific rare colored items (like Ivory interior) potentially, but not mechanical.

Reason being, purely from a business perspective, Honda 1) can, and 2) should make sure suitable parts are available to NSX owners. CAN -- because they have tremendous buyer power over their OEM suppliers (that could care less about manufacturing a few hundred NSX parts, but lick their lips over an Accord supply arrangement). SHOULD -- because, one would assume (current ASCC notwithstanding :rolleyes: ) that Honda would seek to maintain its relationship with its paramount NSX owner customer base, and forcing its OEM suppliers to keep making parts is no skin off their back.

Unless you have rare colored or "S" or "R" parts, I wouldn't be too concerned about getting replacements. Honda has an NSX refresh program even...obviously not run by the design group. :biggrin:

You are right as far as body and mechanical there should be no problems.

Like I said I am just going to get that piece dyed and see what happens. :cool:

I believe Honda keeps OEM parts available for five years, not ten. However, that does not mean that parts will no longer be available after that; it depends on the part. For example, you can no longer buy floor mats for the ivory interior color that was sold in the '91-93 model year. Obviously you can substitute another color with no problems.

I am not aware of any functional/mechanical parts that are no longer available. Right now, availability of parts does not appear to be a serious problem with the NSX.

Not only are the ivory floor mats not available (I bought the last set in the U.S. several years ago..WOO-HOO!!), but also the ivory interior trim pieces are becoming unavailable. I am referring to the plastic and leather pieces that are along the rocker one you open the door, and that surround the interior lever to open the hood, and the one for the gas door. I was recently at the local dealer to stock up on some parts and they informed me of this. Hence, I ordered everything I could still get for my black interior car. ;)

Also, the only floor mats available now are the newer ones with the circular anchor hole for the newer model NSXs. The early style mats are gone. Again, I found out by ordering.

A lot of parts that aren't critical to the car's running are no longer available for the earlier cars. If you want these parts, best to stockpile them within the first 5 years of the cars production date. I'm probably going to start stockpiling a few parts soon, just in case.

For the earlier ivory interior cars, how close of a match is the color to the '02+ white interior cars? Would those be viable substitutes for things like floor mats, trim panels, etc?

There is one piece that I'd like from the 91-96 cars that is no longer available - the original, smaller chin spoiler. I have one on the car now in good condition, but would love to have a spare brand new one.

what about the interior panel pieces? I'm a fan of RED INTERIOR.. would you guys know if there are red interior pieces still available?

what about the interior panel pieces? I'm a fan of RED INTERIOR.. would you guys know if there are red interior pieces still available?

Most likely, because they made the red interior all the way up to 2005. I would stockpile the pieces you want within the next 1-2 years to guarantee that you'll have them. By 2009, the 2005 cars will be coming up on 4-5 years, which is the threshold for some parts becoming not available.

Most likely, because they made the red interior all the way up to 2005. I would stockpile the pieces you want within the next 1-2 years to guarantee that you'll have them. By 2009, the 2005 cars will be coming up on 4-5 years, which is the threshold for some parts becoming not available.

point noted! thanks brother!

I called to order zanardi matts.. and was told that they were discontinued... I was able to secure a pair of interior matts but not the trunk matt... they were on sale for 79$ from 99$... but they told me I took the last pair in stock and that no more trunk matts were available :( they are too heavy anyway :)

Back