Any Civil Engineers here? Need career advices.

It seems like there are quite a bit engineers here but don't know about civil.

I am in a situation here where I have to decide what to do with my career.
Long story short, my experiences:
-2.5 years Civil Construction Internship, Public Works
-9 months in Traffic Design (in Hong Kong)
-9 months Field Engineer, doing RFI, change orders, SWPPP, submittals, daily reports, etc…
- Now, after I got laid off a month ago (company got shutdown), I got a job at a small general contractor doing project engineer, and some management tasks. The owner has been doing all the work himself for 10 years the company in business, so I am their first engineer hired. Company is ready to expand and is putting a lot of hopes into me and wants me to do what the owner has been doing for the last 10 years.
Just this morning, I got two other job offerings and I don’t know what to do now.

1) 1) Project Geologist – (The sourcegroup) Environmental Engineering stuff
2) [FONT=&quot]Quality Manager – (AT&T) Construction engineering team, Civil construction bid/oom financial auditor estimator. Financial quality.[/FONT]
My goal is to do this engineering thing for 12-15 years and get into open my business or go into the business sector of things.

So fellow primers, what is a good path to go, construction, or environmental, or Auditing for AT&T? What would you have done differently if you can go back? I am 24 now so, I want to pick the right path to start. I know once I put my foot into it, I cannot go back.
Both of those offers will most likely have better salary. One of them, I have to relocate.

Even though my current job has less salary, my consensus is to stay because I think I can learn more and the owner is also slowly putting me into bidding jobs. I think I will have more growth here. What do you think? And, the owner is super nice, but who knows I only knew him for three weeks.

Thanks for the long read.

1) 1) Project Geologist – (The sourcegroup) Environmental Engineering stuff (Just wondering, do you have PE license?)

2) Quality Manager – (AT&T) Construction engineering team, Civil construction bid/oom financial auditor estimator. Financial quality.
(At&T datacenters are in SD, TX, and NJ, they ordered lots of servers from my company during past 4 monthes. It looks good to me ^_^ )

Last edited:
In all honesty (because you're a friend)...I would suggest quitting and just becoming a super hero. It's truly the only way to go. Hope that helps you decide!

Hugo,
>Company is ready to expand and is putting a lot of hopes into me and >wants me to do what the owner has been doing for the last 10 years.
this is a good situation as you would learn a lot about this business(more than just generating paper work) which will make you very valuable to the company AND it will help you in the future IF you want to start your own business in the same line of work. The result of your good work will result in more work and responsiblities.

I would push for GIS technology if you company is not doing it already. esri.com is a great source for this for Civil/enviroemental/planning stuff.

No need to move out of So.Calif., travel and consult yes. No where else in the world can you ski, surf, cars, racing, food, hotties all within hours. Just look out the window today and Cal Coast drive is just around the corner.

It seems like there are quite a bit engineers here but don't know about civil.

I am in a situation here where I have to decide what to do with my career.
Long story short, my experiences:
-2.5 years Civil Construction Internship, Public Works
-9 months in Traffic Design (in Hong Kong)
-9 months Field Engineer, doing RFI, change orders, SWPPP, submittals, daily reports, etc…
- Now, after I got laid off a month ago (company got shutdown), I got a job at a small general contractor doing project engineer, and some management tasks. The owner has been doing all the work himself for 10 years the company in business, so I am their first engineer hired. Company is ready to expand and is putting a lot of hopes into me and wants me to do what the owner has been doing for the last 10 years.
Just this morning, I got two other job offerings and I don’t know what to do now.

1) 1) Project Geologist – (The sourcegroup) Environmental Engineering stuff
2) [FONT=&quot]Quality Manager – (AT&T) Construction engineering team, Civil construction bid/oom financial auditor estimator. Financial quality.[/FONT]
My goal is to do this engineering thing for 12-15 years and get into open my business or go into the business sector of things.

So fellow primers, what is a good path to go, construction, or environmental, or Auditing for AT&T? What would you have done differently if you can go back? I am 24 now so, I want to pick the right path to start. I know once I put my foot into it, I cannot go back.
Both of those offers will most likely have better salary. One of them, I have to relocate.

Even though my current job has less salary, my consensus is to stay because I think I can learn more and the owner is also slowly putting me into bidding jobs. I think I will have more growth here. What do you think? And, the owner is super nice, but who knows I only knew him for three weeks.

Thanks for the long read.

In all honesty (because you're a friend)...I would suggest quitting and just becoming a super hero. It's truly the only way to go. Hope that helps you decide!

+1 How about the Flash. If that's taken go for Wonder Woman. She's got an invisible plane.

lol Steve, I need to hang out with you more. Thanks, that was somewhat helpful. Now, I know what to do when I am laid off.

1) 1) Project Geologist – (The sourcegroup) Environmental Engineering stuff (Just wondering, do you have PE license?)

2) Quality Manager – (AT&T) Construction engineering team, Civil construction bid/oom financial auditor estimator. Financial quality.
(At&T datacenters are in SD, TX, and NJ, they ordered lots of servers from my company during past 4 monthes. It looks good to me ^_^ )

1) I am not yet PE. I want to in construction though, since most of my experience.

Thanks.

Hugo,
>Company is ready to expand and is putting a lot of hopes into me and >wants me to do what the owner has been doing for the last 10 years.
this is a good situation as you would learn a lot about this business(more than just generating paper work) which will make you very valuable to the company AND it will help you in the future IF you want to start your own business in the same line of work. The result of your good work will result in more work and responsiblities.

I would push for GIS technology if you company is not doing it already. esri.com is a great source for this for Civil/enviroemental/planning stuff.

No need to move out of So.Calif., travel and consult yes. No where else in the world can you ski, surf, cars, racing, food, hotties all within hours. Just look out the window today and Cal Coast drive is just around the corner.

Tim, thanks for the insight. I think you hit the right spot on experience I can get and the goals I can achieve doing what I am doing right now.

Last edited:
Just a bit of FYI, being in the engineering industry myself, you'll never become wealthy by going the straight engineering route. You'll be able to make a decent living, always have a job and have a steady career, but not the really big bucks. For that you'll have to parlay your engineering skills and background into something including business or entrepreneurship. I would pick the job that has the greatest chances to set up the foundation for reaching beyond pure engineering. You'll want exposure to: management, sales, marketing, business and perhaps most importantly, long term relationships with key players in the industry you want to head down.

Just a bit of FYI, being in the engineering industry myself, you'll never become wealthy by going the straight engineering route. You'll be able to make a decent living, always have a job and have a steady career, but not the really big bucks. For that you'll have to parlay your engineering skills and background into something including business or entrepreneurship. I would pick the job that has the greatest chances to set up the foundation for reaching beyond pure engineering. You'll want exposure to: management, sales, marketing, business and perhaps most importantly, long term relationships with key players in the industry you want to head down.

Thanks and that is exactly what I was looking for. I know I will not be doing this for my entire life. I want to get my own business going but I need that experience, connection, management, etc... I think I will stay here with this beautiful Socal weather and friends. :smile:

Thanks again for the help

Last edited:
Thanks and that is exactly what I was looking for. I know I will not be doing this for my entire life. I want to get my own business going but I need that experience, connection, management, etc... I think I will stay here with this beautiful Socal weather and friends. :smile:

Thanks again for the help

Sounds like you know what you want and what you are doing. Just a basic road map of what I've seen work:

1) Start off as design engineer.
2) Get all your certifications first (CEC, LEED, etc. blah blah)
3) Get your PE
4) Become Project Manager (PM)
5) Join and volunteer in industry societies (ASCE) Use this opportunity to network like crazy
6) Become Director

At this point, you will be somewhere in your mid to late 30's and you have a choice to make. Either propose to your current company to become VP/equity share holder/partner in your own company, or branch out and start your own company taking all of you relationships and clients with you.

Sounds like you know what you want and what you are doing. Just a basic road map of what I've seen work:

3) Get your PE
5) Join and volunteer in industry societies (ASCE) Use this opportunity to network like crazy
6) Become Director

At this point, you will be somewhere in your mid to late 30's and you have a choice to make. Either propose to your current company to become VP/equity share holder/partner in your own company, or branch out and start your own company taking all of you relationships and clients with you.

+1. Especially #3) is important to your major.

3) Get your PE
6) Become Director

Wow, very nice. That's my exact vision but I just couldn't sound it out like you have it on paper. I think that is a good guide line to follow. Thank you.

Back