Antenna question

I wanted to install a S2000 antenna in my OEM opening, but much to my dismay I came to the realization today (after taking everything out!) that it doesn't seem to work.

I thought I had read on Prime a while back that some other owners have done this swap. Am I mistaken? If this won't work, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Chuck,
I was thinking of doing this exact thing. I too think that I remember someone doing this. I also remember that there were a few problems with this swap, but don't remember specifics.

In fact I think that you can purchase a S2000 antenna from either SOS or Dali for install in the NSX. It shouldn't be too much work if they are selling them as a direct replacement.

Brad

I replaced the OEM with the Shark Attack II and had no fitment problems. Other than getting the bottom lock nut on, it was a pretty straight forward install.

Keith

I replaced the OEM with the Shark Attack II and had no fitment problems. Other than getting the bottom lock nut on, it was a pretty straight forward install.

Keith

I 2nd this statement. I too bought the s2k antenna since I heard it was a direct swap....NOT !!! I ended up eating that part because I destroyed it trying to make it work, and in the end it didn't.
The Shark Attack went right in without any problems except what has already been mentioned.

I wanted to install a S2000 antenna in my OEM opening, but much to my dismay I came to the realization today (after taking everything out!) that it doesn't seem to work.

I thought I had read on Prime a while back that some other owners have done this swap. Am I mistaken? If this won't work, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

With a little work and some time it's a breeze.....the most difficult part is adding a piece of coax cable in order to get the distance you need to connect the S2k amplifier.

Remove the (4) screws on the new amplifier
Halloween003.jpg

cut-off the antenna adapter from the circuit board....leave as much copper leading to the adapter as possible
Halloween006.jpg

you will need a piece of coax cable to extend the amp to the opening in the quarter panel
Halloween005.jpg

solder the coax cable onto the circuit board. I then choose to hot glue the opening which the adapter once sat. Measure the correct distance to the antenna opening. Solder the adapter to the other end of the coax cable.
Halloween007.jpg

Mount the amp to the existing telescoping antenna mounting position.
Halloween001.jpg

you will need to Dremel the opening a little larger to fit the new hub.
Halloween002.jpg

connect everything up and that should do it.
DSC00040.jpg

My reception works great....actually better than before while entering tunnels.

enjoy

Nice write up on this project

I changed to the Shark Attack II 6 months ago and like to look but have been very unhappy with the reception especially in the vicinity of any power lines. My car is my daily driver and I use the tuner for traffic info.

1. Do you think your reception is just as good as the OEM antenna?

2. What length coax cable did you use to solder to the circuit board?

3. I have already spliced wires to go to the Shark antenna, what OEM wires go to which on the S2000 harness?

thx for your help with this

Nice write up on this project

I changed to the Shark Attack II 6 months ago and like to look but have been very unhappy with the reception especially in the vicinity of any power lines. My car is my daily driver and I use the tuner for traffic info.

1. Do you think your reception is just as good as the OEM antenna?

2. What length coax cable did you use to solder to the circuit board?

3. I have already spliced wires to go to the Shark antenna, what OEM wires go to which on the S2000 harness?

thx for your help with this

Hi John,

1. Yes, I'd say because it is an OEM Honda product.

2. 15" should get you started. Cut as necessary.

3. I would need to see a picture, but this may help....

remove the electrical connector from the S2k amp
s2kconn.jpg

and replace with the original NSX connector
DSC00171.jpg

(If I remember correctly there is only a yellow wire to re-connect since you spliced your's when installing the Shark Attack)

...coax running up
DSC00172.jpg

hope that helps

Bringing up a really old thread here....

I recently installed a Shark antenna. I love the way it looks but am not impressed with the AM reception. Is there a way to add an external amp or boost the power towards the internal amp for that antennna? Would that even help with the reception? I just want to be able to listen to clearly Mike and Mike on ESPN again (without getting satellite)!!!

Bringing up a really old thread here....

I recently installed a Shark antenna. I love the way it looks but am not impressed with the AM reception. Is there a way to add an external amp or boost the power towards the internal amp for that antennna? Would that even help with the reception? I just want to be able to listen to clearly Mike and Mike on ESPN again (without getting satellite)!!!

I have the Shark and find the AM reception more than adequate in Austin. As someone said above I do find it is susceptible to power line interference. I agree also that the Shark is not as good as the OEM motorized antenna but I truly despise motorized antennas.

The Shark already has an amplifier so adding a second one will probably add more noise than useful signal. Boosting the DC to the amp probably won't help much unless you don't have a good +12V already.

I had installed one of the s2k antennas. If you look up at those photos, I ended up making a new black plastic piece which is longer and allows you use the rubber cover on the inside of the trunk. the amp unit then bolts to the location the oem antenna did. It looks as if Honda made it.

Bringing this thread back to life...
20 year old antenna begins to show wear and tear symptoms :(
To replace with OEM or going with something else. That is question
photo-1.jpg
Any suggestions/ideas are welcome :smile:

Bringing this thread back to life...
20 year old antenna begins to show wear and tear symptoms :(
To replace with OEM or going with something else. That is question
View attachment 96472
Any suggestions/ideas are welcome :smile:

Get the Metra 44-UA46 aka Shark Attack II. It doesn't require any drilling, fairly easy to install, good reception, pretty cheap and it looks good.

If you go with the Shark II, just remove your tail light to gain access. Everyone that's installed one knows what a bitch it is to get the bottom lock nut on. You only have a small hole through the trunk to get this nut on. Removing the light is so much easier.

=DREW=View attachment 97003

If you go with the Shark II, just remove your tail light to gain access. Everyone that's installed one knows what a bitch it is to get the bottom lock nut on. You only have a small hole through the trunk to get this nut on. Removing the light is so much easier.

=DREW=
Great tip!

=DREW=View attachment 97003

Shark Attack II for sure. Going through the tail light is the easiest way. If you don't want to take the tail light off here's what I did: put the socket (can't remember the size 21mm maybe) on the end of a 8-9" extention and and stuff some newspaper or a piece of paper towel in the socket to keep the nut at the top. Then put it all the way up through the bottom so you can see it from the top. Then just line the top part up and screw it on.

Very clever ideas. Thanks!!!
I temporally fixed the antenna problem by getting a antenna switch connected in the coin tray by handbrake. Antenna only goes up when I want to. Got it done at Sound Innovations in Hayward while I had double din NAV installed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359359895.520515.jpg

Back