ANOTHER run-in with the LAW...

On vacation for the week in Wisconsin. Went to see Vroom (Jeff) and a couple other NSX guys. They are about 90 miles away, and most of it is 2 lane roads :mad: . It was fourth of July, I was in a hurry, running late and as I'm driving down the highway I look up and see the flashing red and blues. DAMN IT! I got caught...

I was in my father-in-laws truck. The officer comes to the window and is VERY polite and says he clocked me at 80 MPH in a 65 MPH zone. I told him "there's no way that's possible sir... I had my cruise control set at 85" :biggrin: . He just smiled and asked what I was doing, and where I was going. I told him, honestly I didn't even see you until you were behind me, and gave him my DL (no insurance card or registration because I could not find it). He takes my DL and says "sit tight sir... this may take a few". As I sit there, another state trooper pulls up and I see the officer hand him my ID, then he looks at the truck, walks around it, then goes back and hands the ID to the other officer who then gets back into his car and busts out his clipboard. The other officer pulls away and chases somebody else...

about ten minutes later, the first officer emerges from his car with a clipboard and a pen and I can see him walking towards the truck. He comes to the window and says... "I wrote you formal warning for your speed, nothing needs to be done by you, this is just for our records. Please try and slow down, your not in California and you don't want to come back just to fight a ticket" :eek: I was shocked! I thought "for sure" I was going to get a ticket. Then, before he leaves, he says "tell the owner of the vehicle their registration is expired also, have a good day, and be careful pulling back out into traffic"...

BTW - this is NOT the first time I have been let off easy for no reason. It happens time and time again (cause I get pulled over A LOT). In the year that I have been on this forum, there have been several Police related threads, a few started by me, and VERY FEW that were in a positive light. This is just a reminder that they are not ALL bad. I would venture to say there are more good than bad, but the public isn't interestd in a heartwarming story of how an officer stopped a burglary in progress, or let somebody off with a warning when all they did was badmouth and berate the officer. So, to those that say "F' the Police"... Grow up! And those that say they hate all cops... tell me that next time one lets you off with a warning, or the next time your car gets vandalized or stolen, or the next time somebody is breaking into your house. Unfortunately you have to take the bad with the good... :redface:

couldn't find the original...
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IAgLd1Q5Bsk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IAgLd1Q5Bsk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Last edited:
So, to those that say "F' the Police"... Grow up! And those that say they hate all cops... tell me that next time one lets you off with a warning, or the next time your car gets vandalized or stolen, or the next time somebody is breaking into your house. Unfortunately you have to take the bad with the good... :redface:

I've never been let of with a warning, doesn't matter if I'm in the beater or the NSX. I've gotten a slow speed ticket after I slowed down when an undercover cop was trying to entice me to race in my 300ZX.

I got a ticket for crossing a double yellow line when I moved to avoid a huge pothole. There was no one around except the cop of course.

Oh, did I mention my "Failure to Yield to a Public safety vehicle" after I didn't change langes in a packed freeway when a cop was sitting in the median. Got me for a seatbelt violation, too. My fault, but I hate wearing a seatbelt over my tie. I was on my way to an important meeting and was late as hell.

Can't forget last time someone opened their car door into my SUV, I called the cops, they took a report and DID NOTHING.

The icing on the cake is when I called the cops because kids were launching fireworks into the cul de sac. They proceeded to give me a breathalyzer when I was on private property and wasn't even driving.They said it was "routine procedure." When I passed they were pissed. They questioned the kids and let em go. What uselessness.

Go law enforcement.

I could go on and on. :cool:

On vacation for the week in Wisconsin. Went to see Vroom (Jeff) and a couple other NSX guys. They are about 90 miles away, and most of it is 2 lane roads :mad: . It was fourth of July, I was in a hurry, running late and as I'm driving down the highway I look up and see the flashing red and blues. DAMN IT! I got caught...

I was in my father-in-laws truck. The officer comes to the window and is VERY polite and says he clocked me at 80 MPH in a 65 MPH zone. I told him "there's no way that's possible sir... I had my cruise control set at 85" :biggrin: . He just smiled and asked what I was doing, and where I was going. I told him, honestly I didn't even see you until you were behind me, and gave him my DL (no insurance card or registration because I could not find it). He takes my DL and says "sit tight sir... this may take a few". As I sit there, another state trooper pulls up and I see the officer hand him my ID, then he looks at the truck, walks around it, then goes back and hands the ID to the other officer who then gets back into his car and busts out his clipboard. The other officer pulls away and chases somebody else...

about ten minutes later, the first officer emerges from his car with a clipboard and a pen and I can see him walking towards the truck. He comes to the window and says... "I wrote you formal warning for your speed, nothing needs to be done by you, this is just for our records. Please try and slow down, your not in California and you don't want to come back just to fight a ticket" :eek: I was shocked! I thought "for sure" I was going to get a ticket. Then, before he leaves, he says "tell the owner of the vehicle their registration is expired also, have a good day, and be careful pulling back out into traffic"...

BTW - this is NOT the first time I have been let off easy for no reason. It happens time and time again (cause I get pulled over A LOT). In the year that I have been on this forum, there have been several Police related threads, a few started by me, and VERY FEW that were in a positive light. This is just a reminder that they are not ALL bad. I would venture to say there are more good than bad, but the public isn't interestd in a heartwarming story of how an officer stopped a burglary in progress, or let somebody off with a warning when all they did was badmouth and berate the officer. So, to those that say "F' the Police"... Grow up! And those that say they hate all cops... tell me that next time one lets you off with a warning, or the next time your car gets vandalized or stolen, or the next time somebody is breaking into your house. Unfortunately you have to take the bad with the good... :redface:

couldn't find the original...
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IAgLd1Q5Bsk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IAgLd1Q5Bsk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

great post !!! love to read it.... and i must say situations like these DO occur more often than most people think !!! NOT ALWAYS.... but they are often!!

You definitly got off easy. But do you think you would have been treated the same if you were in your nsx?

I have been pulled over 5 times so far this year, and all they did was harass me about "who owns it", "What do you do", "You were speeding".

I've gotten lucky sometimes. Got a warning for doing 90 in a 60 zone for two reasons: 1) I hit the brakes before he could save my speed on his radar, and 2) He seemed to like the hood scoop on my Honda Prelude. I've also been busted numerous times for expired license and/or insurance. Sure it costs me the tow charge to my house, but they don't slam me with the $500+ fees that they could.

Of course I get some real annoying tickets too. Truck cuts me off driving like half the speed limit so I rip around him just to have a cop clock me in the process.

I warned you about the 4th of July traffic in WI.:wink: Were the directions home a bit more pleasant?

BTW, it was nice getting together. Maybe next time you come we can run out by you.

I think a lot of this has to do with your demeaner and attitude toward the officer. The last 5 times I've been pulled over I haven't gotten a ticket. One of those times I was going 110 in a 45.

I notice here on Prime that the people with post of a generally positive nature tend to have a neutral attitude towards cops and are sometimes let out of tickets.

The people that post generally negative post tend to think the cops are out to get them and they never get let off easy.

I wonder if the posts are positive because they have been let off or they were let off because of a positive demeanor?

BTW I am only referring to the post I read I do not know any of the people personally.

Joe

I am surprised that you got off in WI like that, maybe it is because I am from IL but I have always gotten a ticket in WI when pulled over. I do not speed up there because there seems to be more police looking for speeders than anywhere else. With that said they have always been nice but I always seem to leave with a ticket in hand. Glad that you got off. The fourth was my 3 year anniversery of my last speeding ticket.

I tell you it is all about attitude. The thing some people do not seem to grasp is that when you "manage" your life so that you are always late, always in a hurry or on the way to that really important meeting, etc., etc., it all catches up to you.
It is not that they speed just the one time, generaly they run their lives like that 24/7. These are the same yoyos we all watch trying to sew up traffic when we are all creeping along at 25 on the freeway, and they are working extra hard to try to do 30 and pissing everyone else off, cutting in and out of traffic, no signals, on the cell, just way to important to actually wait their turn for anything. These are the same jerks that pass all the stopped traffic at the next interchange and at thelast possible second cut right on front of someone because they are to important to actually drive like a civilized person.
For 25 years in law enforcement, depending upon my assignment, I enjoyed writing those types of people tickets for every violation they committed and trust me, they are out of control in their lives. "Oh, registration....I left it at home. Insurance? The company never mailed me a card. Seat belt? It pulls on my shirt. Turn signals? If I signal then they won't let me in.
Those are the jerks that cause all of the traffic accidents and ruin the commute for all of us. Can't we all drive like our picture is going to be one the front page depicting out driving style?

For 25 years in law enforcement, depending upon my assignment, I enjoyed writing those types of people tickets for every violation they committed and trust me, they are out of control in their lives. "Oh, registration....I left it at home. Insurance? The company never mailed me a card. Seat belt? It pulls on my shirt. Turn signals? If I signal then they won't let me in.
Those are the jerks that cause all of the traffic accidents and ruin the commute for all of us. Can't we all drive like our picture is going to be one the front page depicting out driving style?

Its true though. First time I got pulled over in the nsx at home after moving back after 6 years. I had no registration or insurance on me. I left the registration at home. Insurance was with it. As a matter of fact, they were both together in my suitcase because I just got home the day after flying to my old home in another state to gather all my final belongings on my move back to california. The nsx was sitting in storage for 2 months and the mini storage company wanted a copy of my registration and insurance. So I brought it to them on my way to the airport. Oh and it had out of state plates w/ valid tags that they can't pull information up on.

So after threatening to impound my car if they ever "catch me doing something wrong", he let me go.

So in your opinion, since it sounds like you would have written me up a big old ticket, was the cop:
a) generous nice guy
b) generous @sshole
c) dumb
d) dumb @sshole?

I know it sounds like I'm trying to give you sh!t, but what do you honestly think?
Let me explain the option meanings:

Generous: he didn't give me a ticket

Dumb: he let me go w/o a formal warning for their records and I could of easily stolen the car

@sshole: threatened to impound my car if they ever caught me doing something wrong, but i didn't.

I've been pulled over 41 times, primarily for speeding. I've received only 7 tickets/violations, and most of those were bargained down to 0pts and small fines.

He was just doing his job the way he believed it best to be be done. If you had out of state plates, a good attitute, etc., then that was a good call on his part and I likely would have done the same. The attitude is the key 99% of the time.

Back