another future owner

Hello,
I've been lurking on this board for too long now, and as a result I joined-in, and I am getting pretty serious about getting an NSX of my own! In fact, I even had the opportunity to purchase a very nice 1991 sebring, back in summer '05, but mind you, I chickened-out and went instead for a '03 s2000. I love that car to death, and it suits my personnality pretty well: car-nut with ADD, and too much caffeine( Blame it on those damn Crystal Cove early meetings!)! But suddenly the NSX Syndrome came back to haunt me; so here I am.
Sorry for that rather lengthy introduction, but long story short, I've been starting to look at a '91 to'93 Black or sebring NSX, with a max budget of $30K. But I want also to get the right car for the right price, pending the "Finance minister's" approval of course!
Also, I would like to know If any of you already inquired about these cars:
JH4NA1158PT000287 (sorry, I can't make the link with autotrader to work)
-http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78055
-http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70972
-http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46310
I hope I am not making any faux pas by inquiring about fellow NSX prime members' cars, But I would like to know what do you think of them, given the fact that I have very little time to travel right now.
Please let me know, and I am looking forward to be part of this great community.
Thank you

froggie said:
That car is no longer listed. At a max of $30k you will be looking at cars with high mileage or average/below condition. I think if you raise your max by $5k you will be looking at some nice cars with low mileage/ very good condition. You can't think you are losing the extra $5k because if you go to sale the car in the future you should get that money back. All of the cars between 1991 to about 2000 will depreciate about the same so if you paid $30k for a car and sold it for $28k in a few years or buy a nice car for $35k and sold it for $33k you will still lose about the same amount. But you will have a nice car to drive untill then. Yes you will pay more but the value is in the car. IMHO

btw, you shouldn't have to travel far since it seems that 90% of these cars are in cali. :frown:

Good luck :smile:

I know of a 94 brooklands green car with only 7,100 miles on it...the car is preatty much brand new. the owner wants low 40s for it so it may be out of your price range, but Comtec makes a good point, at 2500$ for a clutch and 1100$ for a major service or if there are body issues, a front fender will cost you around 1k for a new one, the 28k car can become a 35k car quickly.

comtec said:
That car is no longer listed.
What? I had just talked to the owner just a couple of hours prior to my post!
Oh well, it wasn't meant to be.
As far as location, there are not that many available around.
anyhow, are you sure I would need to spend that extra? -Of course, the higher the price, the more pristine the car should be-
Because looking at both the KBB and the ads, from both autotrader and here, 30K should get me a fairly decent car, albeit with around 80-100K at the clock.
Thanks for your advice.

froggie said:
comtec said:
That car is no longer listed.
What? I had just talked to the owner just a couple of hours prior to my post!
Oh well, it wasn't meant to be.
As far as location, there are not that many available around.
anyhow, are you sure I would need to spend that extra? -Of course, the higher the price, the more pristine the car should be-
Because looking at both the KBB and the ads, from both autotrader and here, 30K should get me a fairly decent car, albeit with around 80-100K at the clock.
Thanks for your advice.

The car may still be for sale but his ad may have ended. No you wouldn't have to spend the extra if 90k-100k miles don't bother you. But if you want a nice 30k-50k that will still be easy to sell in the future you should think about it. As i said you wouldn't be losing the extra. You can't go by KBB because these are limited production cars so they pretty much go by supply and demand as to pricing.

If you look at this link on the right side you will see distance from you. I didn't count them but there is a bunch within 400 miles. Also most of the cars you could get a little cheaper than what is listed so don't look just at $30k cars.
AutoTrader

Good luck

comtec said:
froggie said:
The car may still be for sale but his ad may have ended. No you wouldn't have to spend the extra if 90k-100k miles don't bother you. But if you want a nice 30k-50k that will still be easy to sell in the future you should think about it. As i said you wouldn't be losing the extra. You can't go by KBB because these are limited production cars so they pretty much go by supply and demand as to pricing.

If you look at this link on the right side you will see distance from you. I didn't count them but there is a bunch within 400 miles. Also most of the cars you could get a little cheaper than what is listed so don't look just at $30k cars.
AutoTrader

Good luck

Thank you, I will definitely take your advice in consideration, and have to admit you are 120% right!
Like I said my future NSX is somewhere, waiting for me; until then I feel this is going te be a pretty long road ahead!
cedric

You definately want to spend a little extra. I looked for ~ month before buying one and saw a lot of higher mileage cars priced in the $25-30K range. Finally drove a '94 w/ 95K mi that had a lot of paint chips, torn leather bolster, not too well kept, needed T-belt, etc... for $27K (asking 30). Pretty nice car, but not nice enough.
So I started looking in the $40K range and ended up buying a very well kept, recently T-belt serviced '95 with 45k mi for ~$35K. I think you'll find if you increase your budget by an extra $5-8K you'll be looking at cars that are far better examples, comparatively speaking, to those in the $25-30K range... IMHO. Be patient, she's out there waiting on you!

Back