Another day at the zoo......

Too cold today to take a cruise in the NSX but it was a great day to hit the zoo. These cold, clear days provide a good opportunity to experience the zoo with "crowds" numbering less than 200 in the entire area.

16150596-L.jpg

16150601-M.jpg

16150747-L.jpg

16150879-L.jpg

16151325-L.jpg

:tongue: 20D showoff :tongue:
So tell me Bob when you arrive do they roll out a red carpet :confused: and is there a specific space that is marked for your use only :eek: :eek: :eek:

I did'nt know they had 300 trip entry passes to the zoo :biggrin:

When you get inside do the animals all say :wink: hey he's back lets primp for some GREAT photo ops :rolleyes:

Another great set (as usual) :eek:

Looking forward to getting together when winter finally breaks :cool:
Stay well :smile:

I am a member so I get unlimited trips and free access to the paid exhibits. On a cold, clear winter morning during the weekend it is like having a private showing because only the camera clubs seem to go. I generally get there as soon as it opens and rarely see anyone throughout the zoo for at least a couple of hours. It makes photo ops easier because you don't have to fight to get some space to take the shot.

RSO 34 said:
I am a member so I get unlimited trips and free access to the paid exhibits. On a cold, clear winter morning during the weekend it is like having a private showing because only the camera clubs seem to go. I generally get there as soon as it opens and rarely see anyone throughout the zoo for at least a couple of hours. It makes photo ops easier because you don't have to fight to get some space to take the shot.

Well, Bob My daughters love the Zoo. As you know I snatch all of your pictures of the animal and put them on CD for them. I have never been to New York, so I truly like the Pics when you post them. I am trying to get a fraction of the ability that you always exhibit.
Thanks everytime.
Len

Bob,
Thanks for another shot of the snow leopard. By far my favorite. Masha and I have to get down there and check out that guy. There are only supposed to be 5,000-7,000 in the world, but no one knows for sure because they are all above 12,000 feet. Definitely a cool beast.
Jesse

I belive the Bronx Zoo is the only Zoo that is surrounded by another Zoo. If this dosent make sense you would have to only take a drive around the outside of the Zoo to understand.

How is it that I have a camera and you have a camera but my pictures look nothing like yours? In fact the pictures I take still look as good as the ones I took when I was 5 years old. Nice shots, sure wish I had your photography skills.

Bob,
Who took that shot of you humping the tree in your new fur coat. I think this may be one too many trips to the zoo this winter :tongue: :tongue:

As usual your photo talents are showing through :rolleyes:

When is the next sale event in your area :confused:

Stay warm and can't wait to see the next series

steveny said:
How is it that I have a camera and you have a camera but my pictures look nothing like yours? In fact the pictures I take still look as good as the ones I took when I was 5 years old. Nice shots, sure wish I had your photography skills.

Thanks for the compliment. A good photograph starts with the photographer's ability to be able to observe that there is something worth photographing. That involves nothing more than "seeing" what you are actually looking at. With digital cameras it becomes very easy and inexpensive to take many photos and try out different techniques without the old fashioned costs associated with film developing. Just keep a small digital camera with you and take shots of things that interest you and I am sure you will be pleased with the progress of your results. Ultimately, the only differences you might see will be the related to the quality of the equipment but there is no reason you cannot get excellent results from a relatively inexpensive digital point and shoot.

One of the Oscar nominated movies is Born into Brothels. It is a documentary about a woman who worked with children of prostitutes living in the red light district of India. She gave them inexpensive point and shoot cameras and had them photograph their surroundings and things that were of interest to them. I saw many of their actual photos in an exhibit and it was amazing how good they were considering their young ages and lack of any experience with cameras. They were keenly aware of their surroundings and captured people and settings that generally caught their eyes on a regular basis and it made for some very striking photos.

Often times good photos are a combination of luck and patience in terms of being in the right place at the right time but as digital photography improvements continue many more more people will become much more adept than they could have been solely with film.

Climberao said:
Stay warm and can't wait to see the next series

Sorry, but with this weather pattern it is impossible both to stay and produce a "next series." Although the Orchid Show is starting at the Botanical Gardens so as long as you don't mind me switching subjects I just might be able to do both. I highly recommend that show but if it is the same as prior years they will allow photography only one day per week for 2 hours and only with a special permit.

Great shots, Tony! You learn well. :wink: Now make sure that Bags knows it is the result of all your money that I have spent over the last couple of years.

I didn't make it down there this weekend but managed to get a wildlife shot out back of the house yesterday.

16984189-L.jpg

Last edited:
Are you saying I learned how to spend money well? I've always been good at that :smile:

Now I need to choose what to spend money on next;
1) Negative scanner
so that I can get (better than scanner)
copies of pictures I've taken with my old
Nikon SLR cameras.
2) Fuel rail for the NSX
3) Ring flash as suggested by DocL
(but surely to be blamed on you:biggrin:)
4) Snow blower

I'll take cash donations ...

The most recent wildlife in my yard decorated it with my garbage and some garbage of my neighbors (I blame it on the garbage collection which came a day late):frown:

What camera are you guys using? Your shots are incredible. Is it the lens that makes them look so much better than a normal digital camera?

NetViper said:
What camera are you guys using? Your shots are incredible. Is it the lens that makes them look so much better than a normal digital camera?

As Tony indicated, I use a Canon 20D and my shots were taken with a 100-400 Canon L series. Most of my photos are taken with L series glass which will make a difference compared with standard lenses.

Those photo's are absolutly insane... :biggrin:

RSO 34 said:
As Tony indicated, I use a Canon 20D...

How would you personally compare the 10D with the 20D? I love my 10D, but the start up time has been getting on my nerves and the weight of the camera is tiresome when not using a tripod.

Btw, great shots. :wink:

DocL said:
How would you personally compare the 10D with the 20D? I love my 10D, but the start up time has been getting on my nerves and the weight of the camera is tiresome when not using a tripod.

I have only looked at the 10D when used by others but I have not owned one. I used a Canon D60 for several years and then went straight to the 20D. Virtually instant start up (.2 seconds compared with 2.5 seconds for the 10D) and the body is lighter than my D60 but the 100-400L is a 3 pound lens so it does get tiresome. I generally do not use a tripod because my lenses are all IS.

Aside from the bump in megapixels, generally a meaningless increase over a 6mp unless you are using quality glass and need to crop, it is a significant increase in continuous shooting being able to do 5 fps up to 23 shots. This is also a boost from the 10D which is 3.3 fps for 9 frames. The Autofocus goes from 3 point for the D60 to 7 for the 10D to 9 for the 20D.

I was a little disappointed with the need to get a different battery pack attachment because the 20D is a different size. Not that big a deal in the long run because I still use the D60 as a backup for certain shoots.

The 20D will also shoot faster (1/8000 compared to 1/4000) and have a slightly faster sync speed for flash (1/250 compared to 1/200). Also, it shoots a "true" combo of RAW and JPEG (I believe that 10D in reality just embeds the JPEG into the RAW despite a claim that it will shoot both).

Overall, I have been very pleased with it and intend to use it until the 1Ds Mark II comes below a street price of $5000.

Back