(Another) Black NSX in Knoxville!

R13

Experienced Member
Tech Expert
Hi!

I've probably been trolling this forum on-and-off for the past 3 years, and I will begin by thanking the NSXPrime community in general for creating such a great resource for finding information on these cars. Knowing that I can probably find any answer with a quick search really helped ease my decision to buy what I did.

I am the proud new owner of a 1992 berlina Black/black interior NSX. The car is currently bone stock and will be more-or-less daily transportation...but it does need some work.

I'm probably mechanically masochistic, but for those interested, here's what I've gotten myself into :eek:

1992 NSX:

212,000 miles

Driven daily (by the same owner at least) since new.

...in NY, NJ area (I hate road salt).

all belts, gaskets(except head & oil pan) replaced ~5k miles ago

This IS a snap-ring car, but it also has 200+k miles on it with no issue at all. None-the-less, I have money set aside if it happens to go.

I rescued the car from wasting in a garage because the guy didn't seem too motivated to continuing maintenance since he'd decided to sell. Nice guy, just didn't have the knowledge to really take care of it.

As far as I've determined so far, it needs:
(Feel free to let me know if you know where I can get any of this on the cheap :smile: )

-O2 sensors
-Speed sensor
-window regulators
-rear glass struts (one of them is shot, and the bolt for the other was rusted through)
-front chin spoiler (removed via curb)
-driver's side headlight bucket either replaced or rust removed & re-painted
-a lens for the interior light on the driver's door
-probably the rear/center speaker
-a loose connection fixed for the gauge-pod lighting
-some interior trim clips replaced
-a good coat of wax
-wheel paint (small chips)

It looks the business from 20 feet away, and it was repainted about 4 years ago. The front bumper-cover was repainted after that due to a scrape, and it wasn't done quite as well...like I said, 20 feet. The car also runs well except for idling rough (see O2 sensors-needed). It made it from up-state, NY, to Knoxville in basically a single stint, without any additonal warning lights or pieces falling off.

Sorry for the long-winded post,

Thanks again!
My name is Richard, BTW, if you see me around.

Is it YOU who people have seen around and thought it was ME????? :biggrin::tongue:

I want to see her! Pics!

I'm out and about in mine today.

I live in Lenoir City, but I commute to Knoxville everyday.

Let me know!

Jared

Is it YOU who people have seen around and thought it was ME????? :biggrin::tongue:

I want to see her! Pics!

I'm out and about in mine today.

I live in Lenoir City, but I commute to Knoxville everyday.

Let me know!

Jared

Only if they thought they'd seen you in the past 2 days :)

I'm going to try and make it over to the foothills mall gathering this Friday, weather permitting (no one will be there if it rains anyway).

I will post some pics this weekend.

I look forward to meeting everyone, and their vehicles.

Only if they thought they'd seen you in the past 2 days :)

I'm going to try and make it over to the foothills mall gathering this Friday, weather permitting (no one will be there if it rains anyway).

I will post some pics this weekend.

I look forward to meeting everyone, and their vehicles.

You'd be surprised! Although, people have said they've seen me for about 2 weeks now.

What time at Foothills?

I've been there once and I got there around 530 or so.

I'll be there!

That time sounds about right. I'll be there probably 6-ish I'd expect. I have some parts coming in Friday that I will probably have to pick up after work in West Knoxville before heading over to mrvle.

Assuming it's still on, I'll look for ya.

Didj you guys hear about the store clerk who got shot up at east town mall?
Man that was always the "bad mall" when i was growing up.

I knew there was a reason that I'd been there maybe three times total in the 26 years I've lived in Knoxville...

Hate to hear about that type of thing over something so trivial. Some people just have no sense anymore :(

In other local news:

It was nice talking with all of you other NSXers at Foothills earlier this evening. I got hungry and wondered off, so I didn't see ya leave, but I appreciate all of the tips & information. It really helps to just be able to see what some pieces are supposed to look like on three very well kept cars. I've got some work if I'm going to get mine up to that standard. :smile:

It was a nice time for sure. Like you said, get the mechanical stuff out of the way and then you work on the little things like antenna, glass struts, etc. You got a good car for a great price. A little elbow grease and she will shine like a new penny!! ha ha

Do not buy anything from Harper's Acura during your restoration. Ray Laks in NY is your place for discount part.

Good luck!!!

In other local news:

It was nice talking with all of you other NSXers at Foothills earlier this evening. I got hungry and wondered off, so I didn't see ya leave, but I appreciate all of the tips & information. It really helps to just be able to see what some pieces are supposed to look like on three very well kept cars. I've got some work if I'm going to get mine up to that standard. :smile:

It won't be that difficult. She looked good.

Glad to see another owner in the area ( I ran into another owner on Saturday! ).

Now we have to set up some drives.

It was a nice time for sure. Like you said, get the mechanical stuff out of the way and then you work on the little things like antenna, glass struts, etc. You got a good car for a great price. A little elbow grease and she will shine like a new penny!! ha ha

Do not buy anything from Harper's Acura during your restoration. Ray Laks in NY is your place for discount part.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for the tip on Ray Laks. I may order a couple of items there this week.

Now we have to set up some drives.

For sure.

as an update:

As I posted elsewhere, Between Saturday & Sunday I replaced both O2 sensors, the speed sensor, and the coolant temp sensor. That has taken care of all of my CEL codes, but the car still idles rough (sounds like a misfire), and stumbles from 2k-3.2k rpm. :mad:

I'm going to pick up some spark plugs & an air filter this afternoon and replace those (cheap). While I'm doing so, I'll check the coil packs.

Feel free to throw any other ideas at me :smile:

Another update on my progress (as posted elsewhere).

I seem to have cured the hesitation issue, and I will know over the next few days if I've also cured the oil leak.

I replaced both the spark pugs and oil pan gasket (which I was able to manage by only disconnecting the front end of the exhaust section) this morning/afternoon.

That takes care of the last real mechanical issue that I'm aware of...on to the more trivial stuff!

Back