Another article praising our old NSXes.

Good Article. It's fun to read an article from a writer who gets to drive an NSX for the first time 25 years after the car was introduced and finds out what we owners already know. And that's you have to drive an NSX to really understand why it's still such a special car today. Thanks for sharing it. I had not seen it.

Last edited:
At car gatherings I have started describing the experience as "...the essence of driving".
The tactile feel (my 1991 is non-power steering) and skill (clutch and lack of driver nannies) that makes it an engaging interaction.
Driving some (more muscular) cars is engaging but tiring/taxing and higher levels of equipment/performance seem to come with more weight and more insulation from the road/driving experience.
I think its a nice balance/blend.

At car gatherings I have started describing the experience as "...the essence of driving".
The tactile feel (my 1991 is non-power steering) and skill (clutch and lack of driver nannies) that makes it an engaging interaction.
Driving some (more muscular) cars is engaging but tiring/taxing and higher levels of equipment/performance seem to come with more weight and more insulation from the road/driving experience.
I think its a nice balance/blend.

The best description I have ever heard about the Gen 1 NSX came from John Norman, the designer of the interior on the new Gen 2 NSX. He had not been in an NSX until he was assigned to this project. He got to drive the factory's NSX for a few days in California. He said after a few miles the car just seemed to disappear and all there was left was the road and himself. The new NSX interior has quite a few design characteristics from the original for that very reason. The focus is on the road and not looking for control switches and buttons in a poorly organized interior. This video isn't the one I saw. But, in it he says some of the same things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU8C_bxR2Ow

M
The best description I have ever heard about the Gen 1 NSX came from John Norman, the designer of the interior on the new Gen 2 NSX. He had not been in an NSX until he was assigned to this project. He got to drive the factory's NSX for a few days in California. He said after a few miles the car just seemed to disappear and all there was left was the road and himself. The new NSX interior has quite a few design characteristics from the original for that very reason. The focus is on the road and not looking for control switches and buttons in a poorly organized interior. This video isn't the one I saw. But, in it he says some of the same things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU8C_bxR2Ow

The best description I ever heard was from Motor Trend back in the day "the best car ever made". .... And they still say it:biggrin:

here's the accompanying video:

Thanks for sharing.

M

The best description I ever heard was from Motor Trend back in the day "the best car ever made". .... And they still say it:biggrin:

That's not a description, it's a statement of fact.

M

+1. "In the way it utilizes the best available engineering practices of its time toward the concept of the possibilities of all the things a car can do for its occupants, the NSX has just become the standard for the world. It's the best sports car the world has ever produced. Any time. Any place. Any price." (MT Sept. '90)

Those words have been burned into my brain from the moment I read them. From that point on, no other sports car even mattered to me. If I was ever going to have an exotic, the NSX was the only one I wanted. 24 years later, dream come true.

Nice video.

Btw - is the car in the video a coupe?

Back