• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

And the next NSX is ....... the Jaguar C-X16 concept!

jaguar-c-x16-concept-xl.jpg

Now, before you think I am lost my mind, hang with me a moment.

Taking all that we know about Honda talk about the next NSX, I think this makes sense. Here is why.

Jag 2012 CX16:
1. Hybrid
2. 3.0 V6 Supercharged to 375HP (CTSC memories anyone?)
3. Electric motor that ads 94 hp and 173lb tq

Now the jag is a front engine layout, but we have no idea if the next car will be mid-engined. Probably not.

So what does all this power get you.

0-62MPH - 4.4
186 MPH top speed.

So basically what we already have with a CTSC.

They didn't mention fuel economy, but hard to think it will be all that great but they said it can go up to 50MPH in electric mode with light pedal use.

The neat thing is you can activate the electric motor through a "push to pass" button on the wheel. Perfect for those straight aways on the track.

Thoughts?

I would hope the next NSX would have performance specs like that(and stay reliable.) The look of the car just doesnt scream NSX to me tho.

gee that doesn't look like the Maserati Gran Turismo or anything... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Call me crazy but I think that Jaguar looks sexy. I've always liked the flowy looking Jaguars. XJ220 had that same roundish flowing look. This concept car has the same thing going for it.

Gorgeous touring car, but you are reaching with tying it to an NSX comparison ;)

Jaguar has been making better looking cars since Ford sold it, I think. Having said that, Aston Martin > Jaguar.

OK. Maybe I didn't make it clear enough.

What I mean is that the powertrain is very similar to what we will see in the next NSX and you can see the performance estimates with that powertrain.

The jag is not a NSX replacement, though I do think it looks pretty sweet.

Jag 2012 CX16:
1. Hybrid
2. 3.0 V6 Supercharged to 375HP (CTSC memories anyone?)
3. Electric motor that ads 94 hp and 173lb tq
I agree with your logic and suspect that Honda will embrace some hybrid/fuel efficiency mojo with their new NSX. It is the logical progression following the release CR-Z. They tried to show that hybrids can be "sporty" with that, and I am sure that the will try to show that hybrids can be "exoctic" with their NSX.

I agree with your logic and suspect that Honda will embrace some hybrid/fuel efficiency mojo with their new NSX. It is the logical progression following the release CR-Z. They tried to show that hybrids can be "sporty" with that, and I am sure that the will try to show that hybrids can be "exoctic" with their NSX.

Honda can't make a proper regular hybrid right now.... the Insight is kind of a junky car comapred to a prius. The civic hybrid is dead, the CRZ... no one can figure out what that is... they barely sold ANY accord hybrids then phased them out. Toyota has a highlander, a Camry, and PriusV, and a 2 Lexus models that are all hybrids with plug-in models soon to come. So I have some skepticism on a hybrid "exotic". I'd be more interested to see a Fuel Cell exotic to be honest. They made an excellent FCX Clarity, they should stick with that if they want a Halo car they know they won't sell many of anyway.

Honda can't make a proper regular hybrid right now.... the Insight is kind of a junky car comapred to a prius. The civic hybrid is dead, the CRZ... no one can figure out what that is... they barely sold ANY accord hybrids then phased them out. Toyota has a highlander, a Camry, and PriusV, and a 2 Lexus models that are all hybrids with plug-in models soon to come. So I have some skepticism on a hybrid "exotic". I'd be more interested to see a Fuel Cell exotic to be honest. They made an excellent FCX Clarity, they should stick with that if they want a Halo car they know they won't sell many of anyway.

I like that fuel cell idea Dave. Would be true to the NSX name if they made a fuel cell supercar. I don't think any big company has done that yet.

Fuel cells are much better than any hybrids or even electrics. Honda came out with an awesome car in the clarity. I think they should keep pushing hydrogen. Environmentally, it is a lot better than batteries. They are a leader here, best in the world. Stick to what you do well. Imagine a hydrogen fuel cell car with a ton of power. Zero emission, no carbon footprint, fast. No they won't sell many but none of these cars are money makers anyway.

Last edited:
If the new halo car has specs like this, that would swell. Still needs to be mid-engined though :wink:

Well if it's a plug-in hybrid or a Fuel Cell, it won't even have a real engine driving the wheels.

NetViper is correct - the "next NSX" will have to be a car along similar lines to the Jaguar C-X16. Obviously, a mid engine layout would create a point of difference with that car and greatly help keep the dynamics NSX-like.

I can't see the next Honda flagship car being a sporty version of the fcx-clarity for quite some time - the technology simply isn't ready. The appeal of a fuel cell car is simply zero emissions (from the tailpipe), but it isn't a totally "Green" solution as the fuel has to be created off-site (not on the car), which uses power. When all this fuel is generated from environmentally sustainable sources such as solar, wind, wave, tidal, hydro, geothermal or whatever, then and only then can the car be truly zero emission in it's operation.

I really hope that the next sporty Honda is at least as good as this Jaguar concept appears to be - see here.

With a mid-engine configuration, the Honda will truly be a game changer in the same way that the NSX was back in 1990

Back