An "Old Kids" Day adventure

Via the internet, I recently re-connected with an old college buddy. So yesterday my wife and I hopped into the NSX and took a drive to visit him and his wife. It turns out his 98 year old mother is living with them. She uses a cane as a walking aid, but her mind and hearing are quite sharp.

The mother joined us for a while, and asked about "that sharp car in the driveway". She was talking to my wife about it, then turned to me and asked if it was really 14 years old. So, a short while later I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride. She sprang out of her chair, a smile from ear-to-ear, and informed me I'd have to hold her hand to walk to the car, because she wanted to leave the cane at home. Amazingly, she got into the NSX without assistance.

We went for a short ride that included a few sprints to 8,000 rpm in 1st gear, a quick corner, and a spirited stop.

When we got back to the house, she sprang out of the car (after a photo opportunity by her son) and declared "I haven't had so much fun since my other son took me on a motorcycle ride decades ago!"

It was great re-connecting with an old college buddy. But meeting this 98 year old lady and bringing such fun into her life via a short ride in the NSX made my day.

For those who have never gone to Kids Day, just imagine bringing that same smile to the faces of a number of kids, while you get to drive your NSX on the track at "highway speeds". Life hardly ever gets more rewarding than that.

Great story.

And this is why we do it for the "younger" kids.............

174475829_ffVLc-L.jpg

Back