Amplifier Placement Suggestions? Photos?

Tai

Experienced Member
I am looking for suggestions on the best location to install a 4 channel amplifier in my NSX. The amplifier measures 15.75" L x 10.875" W x 2.25" H. It needs some room on either side for connections and adequate ventilation.

One installer I spoke with suggested under the hood and not the boot. The hood is open to the ground, near the radiator and somewhat small, but it is next to the battery and close to the stereo. A boot installation would require running through the engine bay, which he suggested against.

I also do intend to update to an '02+ louvered hood at some point, which would obviously affect a hood mounted installation.

Please send me suggestions, and I would appreciate any photos of professional installs of clean and mostly minimal aftermarket stereo installations.

Thank you,
Tai:wink:

I dont think its too wise to leave an amp exposed to the elements. Which is what will happen any place other than the trunk (boot). I don't think your installer is all that experienced.

Tai said:
A boot installation would require running through the engine bay, which he suggested against.

He is simply lazy. There is easy access between the trunk and engine bay and engine bay and passenger compartment. Just about everyone here on Prime has a trunk mounted amp with the wires routed to the passenger compartment. Find a better installer.

When it comes to mounting an amp in the NSX, you realistically have about 3 options for your average amp.

The floor of the trunk
-Advantage: Stealth and fairly easy to do. No loss in trunk space other than spare tire tools. Sell your tools and pay for your amp. :)
-Disadvantages: Not every amp fits there and HEAT since it sits right above the exhaust. Loss of spare tire tools storage. Depending on the exhaust and amp, you may kick your amp into thermal protection.

Trunk walls
- Advantage: Can be stealthy too
- Disadvantage: Eats up some valuable trunk space and usually requires a bit more customization (some carpeting and wood/metal work may be required)

Behind one of the seats
- Advantage: Shorter cable runs, fairly simple to implement and good cooling.
- Disadvantage: Legroom and to some degree stealth. It would be fairly easy to fabricate an amp rack and vinyl wrap to match.

Having installed all 3 methods I prefer mounting it behind the driver seat. It's a very unintrusive installation method where you don't even have to drill into the car except for the ground which is easy. Some tee nuts and machine screws and you can mount a good lightweight amp on the vinyl covered panel behind either seat. If you had to fabricate a new panel it would be simple. Cable runs are short and the only thing you have to run through the firewall is a power cable. RCAs and remote turn on run right down the center console straight to the amp. Speaker wires run under the carpet up along side each door sill and into the doors. All your wires are shorter, this is not only cheaper in terms of cable cost but better in terms of sound quality (not that I think you'd be able to hear it). Not good for show points but very, very effective.

You can get creative and find other places to install the amps but these are the three easiest and most obvious. TURBO2GO is right, under the hood should not be considered an option. Another thing to keep in mind is serviceabilty and ease in accessing your amp. I mess with mine all the time. In the meantime, follow that link that Hugh gave ya....

Thank you all for the informative solutions to my inquiry. As of now, I'm probably leaning towards a wall or floor mounted boot installation.

I figured this topic was covered but the search funtion did not return helpful results with the query "amplifier placement".

I am open to any suggestions on which floor mounted sub enclosure I should go with also.

Thanks again,
Tai:smile:

Back