Am I getting a good deal?

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site and am on my way to purchasing my first NSX, due to my inexperience I wanted opinions of other owners. The NSX I'm about to buy next weekend is a 1991 Black manual NSX. It has 104,xxx miles and seems to be in great condition according to the pictures.

The owner states he has only had the car for about 4 months and is selling because he is in the military and is leaving town.

Because he has been an owner for a short time he says all the maintenance (timing belt, water pump, etc) has been done but has no records or documents. Car fax and title are clean. The asking price was 22K. Sounds like a deal but is there a reason its that cheap or does it sound right?

Any Opinions?? Thanks

David

Last edited:
would be simple to find out where the work was done and give the mechanic a call...
davidl78 said:
Hey guys,

I'm new to this site and am on my way to purchasing my first NSX, due to my inexperience I wanted opinions of other owners. The NSX I'm about to buy next weekend is a 1991 Black manual NSX. It has 104,xxx miles and seems to be in great condition according to the pictures.

The owner states he has only had the car for about 4 months and is selling because he is in the military and is leaving town.

Because he has been an owner for a short time he says all the maintenance (timing belt, water pump, etc) has been done but has no records or documents. Car fax and title are clean. The asking price was 22K. Sounds like a deal but is there a reason its that cheap or does it sound right?

Any Opinions?? Thanks

David

Hi David. It's always a nervous time approaching the purchase of your first NSX. I'll be honest with you, you do not have enough information about the car to give any type of valid opinion regarding price. I would be slightly weary of any owner who wants to dump the car after only 4 months of ownership. Yeah, it could be because he is leaving town or not.

Sometimes VERY expensive items go bad (i.e. transmission, climate control system) and rather than pay the big $$(example: some have paid up to $4000 for the climate control system) to get it fixed, they'll sell. To protect yourself against this, do a couple of things: first and most important is get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done at an Acura dealer. This will be the best spent $150 you can ever make. If you think there may be something wrong engine wise, pay extra and get a leak down test. Next, try to have one of the members here check the car out for you.

Most members here are more knowledgable about the NSX than Acura salesman. I see you ran a carfax so you're on the right path. Dig deaper about maintainence issues. Inquire about problematic areas of the early NSX, window regulators, climate control only working on high, bose audio system, is trans in the snap ring range, etc.

Be sure to follow this: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/nsx_purchase_process.htm

This can save you thousands of dollars and a big headache. Finally, make sure you do a thorough test drive. Best of luck!

Thanks for your opinions, the seller is setting up an inspection at an acura dealership in his city and I will try to be there. If the NSX passes I'm good right even without the maintenance records? Thanks

David

Back