Always wanted an NSX, Wasn't Looking, Found one - Of Course!

First post here but I lurk occasionally. I've ALWAYS wanted an NSX. An old neighbor bought one new in '92, put some gorgeous three piece rims (Fikses?) on it and it drove me crazy seeing it every few days.

Now I live in a new city and just happened to find a Red '92 with black top (not my preference), black interior, 72,XXX miles for $26,999 at a crappy little used car lot that I would not ordinarily even think to buy a car from. Interior is fine but could use...well, me! The car has stock rims, tires appear okay, paint is original and could use a good detailing also but otherwise straight and solid. Have not driven, have not spoken to anyone.

I am being tested. The timing couldn't be worse - two kids in college, but is this a good price from the limited info I have?

I know about the infamous snap ring issue in certain V.I.N. cars, but what is the range/years? What are the other most prominent areas of concern with these cars? I read here it is useable as a daily driver. I would use it 2-3 days a week -11-12 miles on street/fwy. Thoughts, suggestions? As I said, I was not looking. I stumbled on one of my dreams!

P.S. Don't know the typical NSX owner profile. I am 48, drive an old but perfect 944 Porsche - a little trouble getting in and out easily - not size, it's age! I'm trim and not too tall but anyone lese my age here have any problem getting in and out?

Dan in Pasadena said:
is this a good price from the limited info I have?

Yes - assuming that it has a five-speed and a clean title. You will still probably have to spend a bit... see below.

Dan in Pasadena said:
I know about the infamous snap ring issue in certain V.I.N. cars, but what is the range/years?

It's based on transmission number. Look in the FAQ section on Troubleshooting - Transmission (incl Snap Ring).

Being in the range is not a HUGE concern; just get familiar with the symptoms of failure, so you can park it if it starts to go, and otherwise, wait till you need a clutch replacement to do the transmission case and snap ring (adds ~$1K to the cost if done at that time).

Dan in Pasadena said:
What are the other most prominent areas of concern with these cars?

- Window regulators (can be prevented by the installation of a $16 pair of fix-it thingies, plus ~$200 labor if you don't DIY)

- Timing belt and water pump replacement (they should have been replaced but if you have no evidence that they were, then do it - $1200-1400).

- Air conditioning (make sure it works, as repairs can be expensive!)

The used NSX checklist in the Buy/Sell section of the FAQ is also very helpful.

Dan in Pasadena said:
I'm trim and not too tall but anyone lese my age here have any problem getting in and out?

Don't worry, not a problem. You'll learn little tricks, like using the power seats to slide the seat all the way back when exiting the car, and sitting sideways and pivoting in.

Good luck. Buy it and bring it to NSXPO 2003 in October!

Thanks a lot. This was helpful.
What is the real, not factory recommended interval for timing belt and waterpump replacement? Is this an "interference" engine? Will the valves hit the pistons if the timing belt does break? Cost to rebuild top end? Probably 1.21 Jigadollars, huh?

P.S. It is a five speed. Didn't notice a Targa top - did they even come in that year? Sorry, I dont know. Will have to find out about clean title. I'll go ask some questions.

Dan in Pasadena said:
What is the real, not factory recommended interval for timing belt and waterpump replacement? Is this an "interference" engine? Will the valves hit the pistons if the timing belt does break? Cost to rebuild top end? Probably 1.21 Jigadollars, huh?

Regarding the "real" timing belt replacement interval... How lucky do you feel? The answers to your other questions are yes, yes, and "several thousand dollars" if that helps you decide how lucky you feel ;)

P.S. It is a five speed. Didn't notice a Targa top - did they even come in that year?

The NSX-T was introduced in the 1995 model year. See http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/changesbyyear.htm

Back