Allan, might as well start this thread a fresh; Ferrari 328 Upgrading

I was looking at the Electromotive ignition systems. 5 questions:

1. How did you manage to adapt it to 12 cylinder engine? (I am wondering, as this might be a future mod to a TR that I plan on buying in a few months)

2. Which/ what package did you get?
HKS Stand Alone Distributorless Ignition or the Total Engine Control Fuel Injection and Ignition; or both? The first is not very expensive, but will there be a better gain with both together?

3. Is this a drop in/bolt on or is tuning required to perfect the system? I am wondering this because my good friend has a garage where I can get it done; but no dino or other type of 'fancy' measuring equipment.

4. Finally, IYHO what aprox power gains am I looking at with just this upgrade? This and a tubi with catbypasses?

5. Are there any other tiny mods that would increase power that you can think of? I guess a better intact or some performance manifolds; are such in existance?

Thnks for all your help!

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina"

Interesting information:

Nina (97 NSXt)
Curb: 3164 lb
Power: 290 hp

Alissa (88 328 GTS)
Curb: 3170 lb
Power: 260 hp

Allan said ( and quite correctly so) that the stock exhaust and cats in the Alissa give her alot of weight. Removing them and replacing them with a Tubi w/ bypasses, her weight will nearly equal Nina's.

Now for the power:
1. If what Allan states is true for the fuel injection system, and I wholeheartedly beleive him as I know teh 80s injection was not the most efficient method of generating power, then I will get ~70 more hp from the above ignition system. I think that number is a little too high, and most likely more around 30 hp. (Alissa's new hp rating: 290)

2. Replacing the exhaust WILL free up power. its nearly a given because of Ferrari emmssion controls on 80s cars soaked up alot of power. A VERY conservative estimate will be ~10 hp. (Alissa's new hp rating: 300)

Alissa now has a higher power to weight ratio than Nina. Since the numbers are still quite close (290hp to 300hp with nearly identical weight) the straight line performance will be completely based upon 3 factors, 2 of which do not matter as much:

1. Driver skill (not much of it
tongue.gif
but since I will be driving both it should be near equal since my skill doesnt jump from loser to F1 driver and back to loser...it just stays at loser
biggrin.gif
)
2. Climate (not much as I would be comparing the 2 cars within a 30 min window on the same day at the same altitude)
3. GEAR RATIOS This is where I think Nina will more than make up for the difference in power...but thats assuming the approx. are correct. Mine were conservative so it is possible that Nina's gears compensate for Alissa's power advantage and I have 2 cars with nearly identical 0-60 times
cool.gif

Now this is assuming the information on weight is accurate (I looked thats what I found for 328s, I can't be certain of it as I can be of the NSX's info)

The other thing, i really only mention straight line driving as Nina will eat Alissa in the corners, I mean she better, her tech is MUCH more advanced!

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina"

How much power you will really gain, i dont know. In comparison with my countach, which used the same crappy Bosch Cis system as yours, the power difference was absolute night and day. If i had to guess, it was about 100hp. It went from being neck and neck with my friends Saleen S281, to easily walking right away from him. It became just as fast as my friends Diablo Sv until the middle of 4th gear, where the Diablo would start to pull, my guess is more because of aerodynamics than power.

There is alot you can do to the 328, ive even seen some turbo kits in Forza magazine for 4995.00. You can also get Tubi headers for it, which will help alot, as the originals suck. On my countach i had the electromotive engine management system and distributorless ignition system. It must be properly programmed on a laptop by someone who knows what theyre doing. It also made a huge difference in fuel economy, and even the way the car would start. It fired up instantly. On this website, it says that a Tubi will give you a 7% increase in power with the stock catalysts, thats about 18hp, taking off the cats, in my guess, will give atleast 20hp. Its always made a huge improvement on any italian car. Checkout this site, maybe give this guy a call. Atleast get the test pipes asap. http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1001.htm

If you do all that to Alissa, sounds like Nina will need a turbo or she will start feeling neglected! and we all know what happens when she feels that way!

My guess is that you should be easily able to equal the Nsx's straightline performance, or even surpass it. He makes note of his personal 308, which i believe is an old 2 valve, and that its faster than a new vette powered firebird. I know that my Nsx would have a hard time with one of those. I believe Road and track tested a 328 at 14.2 @ 97 mph? I have the magazine somewhere. But i also have a magazine a 308 with a turbo kit, nothing major, 450hp, that was running 12's @ over 120mph.

Also, if you want the 328 to outhandle the Nsx, there is tons of suspension stuff available.

I took a look at that web site and there are some SWEET 308/328's on it. The silver one and the red 288 looking one(sorta has a widebody kit on?).

Ponyboy, yes that one does. Personally, I like the stock 328 look best; though the side tail vents on the widebody/288 body are quit, ummm cool.
smile.gif

Anyway, back to myt stats, turns out the weight of Alissa is not as high as I thought. According to Ferrari's own info (which shouldn't be wrong...hopefully) teh GTS weighs in at a not to shabby 1273kg (1273 * the conversion factor of 2.2046 = 2806.45lb..aka 2810lb to be safe)

Now all that said, the performance of the 328 is going to be really easy to enhance for straightline speed. With the 20hp gain from the exhaust alone her power to weight is going to be higher than Ninas
tongue.gif

Heh, interesting possibilities.

EDIT: I have to learn to spell
smile.gif

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina"

[This message has been edited by Auraraptor (edited 09 December 2002).]

Allan, would I be able to get the ignition alone and later get the managment software seperately? Would the ignition still help the car alone w/ot the software also?

I would get the entire setup at once...but I am looking at a 91 TR
smile.gif

That said, again how did you addapt the 4,6,8 set up for the V12 Coutach? Did you just get 2 6 cylinder ones?

Thnks for your help. If I just the ignition alone helps a bit, then I will get it now and install it when I change the oil Friday.
smile.gif

Again Thanks for your help!

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina"

We used 2 six cylinder units. The ignition system will definately help it, italian cars of yesteryear are known to have crappy ignition systems. Call the guy at Nicks and see what he suggests. Do not forget to do the cat bypass pipes and k+n filter. Those 3 things will provide a nice power increase and Nina may be upset!

Back