alarming malfunction

When I put key in door and turn it, headlights pop up and all lights start flashing, and i can hear a relay in front of car starts cycling. Ignition is disabled but horn is not blowing. Blows 20 amp fuse in relay box in front of car labeled brake lights/horn. Most likely to do this first thing in morning. Then wont blow again for a day, or a few days. Have had recent trouble with dash brake light out indicator. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated

Aftermarket alarm system freaking out? I'd take it to a good automotive electrical shop. They can probably chase the problem down in short order (pun intended) if they can reproduce it.

If you have an aftermarket alarm on the car, that is most likely the case. I have an aftermarket alarm on my car. If the doors are mistakenly locked with the key and the alarm is activated with it's transponder, the system for some reason doesn't like it. What you are describing is exactly happens to me except I haven't blown any fuses. The remedy I use is just to insert the key into the lock, turn it to the right to deactivate the factory system, and always just lock the doors with the aftermarket alarm transponder. Hope this helps.

It seems like I might have the problem corrected. Car got to where it would blow a fuse every time I started it. I started disconnecting the horns one at a time. The last one, the left front, must have been defective. When I unplugged it, problem went away.

Back