Al Unser Jr.-DWI

I hate to kick a good man when he is down, but an idiot is another matter...

INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - Racer Al Unser Jr. was charged on Tuesday with domestic battery for allegedly hitting his girlfriend while she drove them home from a strip club and then leaving her by the side of a highway.
Unser, 40, a two-time winner of the Indy 500 race in 1992 and 1994, was arrested at his trailer at the famed Indianapolis raceway and released on $30,000 bond.

Maj. Mike Turk of the Marion County sheriff's office said Unser could face up to one year in jail and a $5,000 fine if convicted of the misdemeanor charge.

Police said Unser's girlfriend, Jena Soto, 38, said she was driving the couple back from a night out at a strip club when the intoxicated Unser began shifting the car's gears into neutral and reverse. She struck Unser, who hit her in the face.

After pulling over, Soto got out of the vehicle. She was left by the side of the highway as Unser drove off. Soto suffered an abrasion and swelling under her right eye from the blow, Turk said.

When confronted by police early on Tuesday, Unser at first denied knowing Soto, but then said she hit him first.

Recently, the two-time Championship Auto Racing Teams champion had gotten into better shape and pledged to revive his racing career. Driving for Kelley Racing since February, Unser placed a close second to Jeff Ward in the June 8 race at the Texas Motor Speedway.

Pic: http://reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?

Anyone else think it is odd that the two pilots arrested last week for DWI, were asked to taxi the plane back to the gate? Since when does anyone ask someone they suspect of being drunk, to turn around and drive back?

Maybe we should get that guy Ronnie Coleman(Mr.Olympia ...guy in Netvipers photo) to slap Unser around a little. I would love to see one of those wife/girlfriend beater types to get their punishment via physical beating.

Mugshot time!
alunser1.jpg

What a great guy, i'm sure his sponsors love this. Can you say "out of a ride by the end of the year". Put this jerk on the idiot of the week report.

[This message has been edited by Tom Larkins (edited 10 July 2002).]

I now predict a full acquital of all charges against him. Soto has down-played the event and even though Al confessed to the police he will be found not guilty.

Stay tuned for a future helicoptor/police chase around the Indy racetrack.

Originally posted by Edwardo:
...I would love to see one of those wife/girlfriend beater types to get their punishment via physical beating.

But in this instance she hit him FIRST. Shouldn't SHE get the beating?

(BTW-not defending Al Jr. just men in general)

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Back