Air Conditioning pressure question?

I have a vintage 1973 Mercedes. Last year the air conditioning was repaired and converted to R134. I was told that because of the age of the system and the hoses, it may be likely that i'll have to charge it with 134 every year. My question is: How do I know how much R134 to add?

I have a guage that goes on the vacuum side, but I forget what the proper reading is, and is it read with the compressor running or not?

Any air conditioning mechanics out there willing to share knowledge?

Thanks

MikeC

I'm no expert - but here goes:

134a is more critical of over or under filling than R12; however I have had good luck by filling just until the bubbles disappear from the sight glass ( which going from memory your car has ). Late model stuff without a sight glass has to be evacuated and recharged with a preset amount.

134A is also a smaller molecule than R12 so it will escape from the system more readily than R12; that is why you will probably have to put a small amount in each year. This is especially true with retrofitted systems; however I have found it true of late model systems as well - just to a lesser extent.

Johnson's Freeze 12 seems to work better than 134A in old systems, and there is no retrofitting - you just evacuate the R12 and put it in. Does anyone out there know of a downside to Freeze 12?

Back