Air conditioning odor + A/C vent smells bad

Anybody have any ideas on how to get rid of the aweful smell that comes out of the HVAC vents. The smell is very strong on hot days usually in the first minute of usage.

(To bad it doesn't have the air conditioning filter like my old E36)

sounds like you got some mildew on your evaporator core, you could first try and clean it by removing your blower motor and
spraying some type of cleaner on it, or at work i use this stuff
called dwd2 its a foamy spray that you spray on the evaporator and run your blower motor. It kind of disinfects the whole duct
system. hope this helps.

Someone had the same question on DIY automotive show and they said to spray febreeze into the intake of the system and that neutralizes any mildew in the system.

I have also heard of the foam too. Never tried either one though.

This is a common problem on most cars, not just the NSX.

Once you get this taken care of, you can prevent it from recurring by turning the A/C off (leaving the system on to ventilate, but with the A/C OFF setting) for the last five minutes any time you take the car out, so the system has a chance to dry out before it sits for a while.

I think the foam is injected into the evaporator fitting (I think you would have to take the blower motor off to access it.)

They were talking about spraying the febreeze on the dash right next to the windshield (on most cars.) Again, I've never tried it so user beware. Then again what could it hurt?

Maybe someone with more experience with the hvac will chime in.

There are a couple of products for this very thing available at most auto parts stores. I don't remember the names as it has been a few years since I needed to do this. They come in a small aerosol can and you spray it into the intake (passenger side in front of the windshield) with the blower on high. Kills the mildew.

S.L.

Best way of solving is to drill three holes just before the evapurator (not in ....)now you can slide in a metal tube and connect it to a compressor to spray pure alcohol in the heat exchanger of the airco.

Because the evapurator is about 3 cm thick the foam stuff does not reach all of the evapurator.

This is how it is learned to me at Honda maintenance school.

I think that in America an acura dealer can do this for you.

REMEMBER: ALCOHOL IS EXPLOSIVE, do not start tthe car for 1/2 hour, then let the blower run for 10 minutes with doors open (or sit inside and get drunk for free......:)

Back